LT Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Seems like everyone is sort of discrediting this OT class a bit since it's not really top heavy. If Bolles or Ramcyzk fall to 36, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears took a stab at either. Personally I like Bolles a little more because of his elite athleticism at the position, just needs to get a bit stronger and I could see him bulking up with an NFL trainer.

We don't have much Tackle depth and Leno is a marginal starter at best. Thoughts?
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Every time I play with that fan speak draft app I find myself taking one of those guys in round 2.

There are a few tackles that I think could be good fits or good developmental guys. You mentioned the first two.

Then the next tier of Roderick Johnson, Antonio Garcia, & Dion Dawkins could be starters after a year of strength training, and technique work.

There are a few "later" guys to look at like Storm Norton as a RT, or Conor McDermott whom I believe needs coordination and strength work, but has tools.
Adipost
MVP

I think there will be a run on offense in the first round and the top 3 tackles will be drafted much earlier than most think.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'd love Bolles at 36, however, I don't think there's a chance in hell.
Ramcyzk and Cam are probably RTs and not nearly enough of an upgrade to burn a high pick on right now.
I'm resigned to letting Leno play out his contract.

However, that means they may have to go hard after LT next year - which could be tough if you also find out you have to go hard after QB next year...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Last year five tackles were taken before 36. Weak class this year but I still think 2-3 will be taken at least so of that next little group I like Garcia and Dawkins as noted. Depends whether the Bears are valuing versatility (Dawkins) for depth or an athletic Leno replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

With everyone focusing on QB, DE, and DB...OT is a need that is bigger than people realize.

Leno is in the last year of his rookie contract (and is an Emery pick) and Massie/Compton are basically one year guys.

I'd love for one of Bolles or Dawkins to be there at 36 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Bolles, Ramczyk, Dawkins, and Lamp all go in R1. I think Taylor Moton goes before Cam Robinson.

Outside of those guys...Will Holden, Sam Tevi, Antonio Garcia, Adam Binsowaty, Jessamen Dunker, Dorian Johnson, and Aviante Collins are all guys I wouldn't mind the Bears drafting.
G08
Hall of Famer

I still want someone with juice in round 2... Evan Engram would be a lot of fun and could take over for Zach Miller in 2018. This season, I'd just keep the kid in the slot.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:I'd love Bolles at 36, however, I don't think there's a chance in hell.
Nope.

Practically every year, an OT goes top 10 (some of whom have no business going there). Bolles is the best of an otherwise pretty meh crop; he's athletic, has decent size, and is as close to plug-and-play at tackle as there is in this draft. If Garrett and Thomas go 1-2, I couldn't complain if the Bears snapped him up at #3.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I think Ramczyk is a better overall prospect, but he's got the hip issue and it's hard telling how ready he will be.
WagonForce
MVP

Not knowing very much about OT depth in the draft I can't say who would make sense in what round, but I will say that I believe the team should continue looking to invest heavily in building the line and in doing so via the draft rather than FA. Just because we seem to be out of the most recent dark age of terrible line play on this team doesn't mean the Bears should stop looking to improve the unit. If I was at the helm, the team would be doubling down on improving the line at this point rather than looking in other areas.

In my mind, the interior of the line is in pretty good shape for the next year or two. My biggest concerns there are Kyle Long's potential emerging health issues and Josh Sitton's age. I love Whitehair and hope that Grasu can serve as depth on the interior. If I'm Pace, I'm planning on drafting another interior lineman in the medium term due to the above risks.

I'm pretty happy with the play the Bears have got at tackle out of players like Leno, but I want to build an elite line, and I don't think the current tackles have been or could be expected to reach that level of play. For me this points to drafting at least one tackle in the next two years, at a minimum. With the QB position in the state we now have, an above average line is a must. I'm trying to keep an open mind with Glennon, but one of my nightmare scenarios is we have a year of poor health up front and we all get to see just how bad he can be under pressure.

As a result of this, I keep coming back to my dream of the Bears being able to trade down from #3. A lot of the players I'm excited about in the draft don't seem to make a ton of sense at the pick we have, and there's a bunch of positions where I'd like to see an early round pick invested.
wab
Mod

John Fox has a history of strong offensive and defensive lines, and Pace came from an organization that didn't put a lot of effort into either of those areas.

I've lost a lot of faith in Pace, but if he picks a guy who can be a future starting OT, he'll earn some of it back.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Saints always valued guard and spent big money there, so I'd say I agree that they haven't previously valued OT until recently drafting Peat (after Pace had left).

xyt in the discord chats
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think Pace will follow that same tradition and look to find value at tackle but ... he does t have it now so I'm hoping he can find someone on the draft this year in the later rounds. I'm with G08 for the first few rounds where I think he'll try to add playmakers

xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Pace has drafted a OL player in both drafts. Whitehair was selected fairly high. Granted an interior lineman, but I don't think he would be adversed to doing so.
EricTighe
MVP

Weak group as in ready to play not on potential.

Wait till round three then go get them not much difference in the top guys and the guys in rounds 3 through 5.

Taylor Moton, OT/G, Western Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 330. Arm: 33.13. Hand: 10.75.
Projected 40 Time: 5.00.

Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell
Height: 6-6. Weight: 318. Arm: 36. Hand: 10.5.
40 Time: 5.45.

Conor McDermott, OT, UCLA
Height: 6-8. Weight: 305. Arm: 34. Hand: 10.88.
40 Time: 5.18.

Zach Banner, OT, USC
Height: 6-8. Weight: 353. Arm: 33.63. Hand: 10.75.
40 Time: 5.58.

Brad Seaton, OT, Villanova
Height: 6-8. Weight: 325. Arms: 34.5.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6

Javarius Leamon, OT, South Carolina State
Height: 6-7. Weight: 332. Arm: 35.25.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.

Threw in some RT prospects as well.

Banner is a boom or bust due to his mental issues. Was considered one of the best tackles comming out of High School. Whenever you ask a kid to become committed as a pro it is always a big risk. But he can play when he wants to.
McDermott was once considered 1st round material before getting hurt at end of 2015 season. Was still not 100% against Garrett but after that game got better and better as the year went on. One of my steals for this draft.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I like both of the LA kids in the late rounds, especially McDermott. Banner has higher upside but as EricT mentioned, he also has a higher risk due to his weight - people question his desire and work ethic. He's slimmed down quite a bit but who knows what would happen to him after he gets on an NFL team, could balloon back up again.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

My thing, is that outside of maybe McDermott (and that's a big maybe), all of those guys are strictly RT prospects.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think Mcdermott is a RT. If he figures out how to punch and keep his feet moving he has the ability to be a starter. His feet just stay planted to long.
EricTighe
MVP

Seemed to just fine moving his feet against Stanford. Actually watching this game again convinced me he is better then you think. Solomon Thomas had a great game as well just never matched against McDermont.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USSGlennon
Rookie

WagonForce wrote:Not knowing very much about OT depth in the draft I can't say who would make sense in what round, but I will say that I believe the team should continue looking to invest heavily in building the line and in doing so via the draft rather than FA. Just because we seem to be out of the most recent dark age of terrible line play on this team doesn't mean the Bears should stop looking to improve the unit. If I was at the helm, the team would be doubling down on improving the line at this point rather than looking in other areas.

In my mind, the interior of the line is in pretty good shape for the next year or two. My biggest concerns there are Kyle Long's potential emerging health issues and Josh Sitton's age. I love Whitehair and hope that Grasu can serve as depth on the interior. If I'm Pace, I'm planning on drafting another interior lineman in the medium term due to the above risks.

I'm pretty happy with the play the Bears have got at tackle out of players like Leno, but I want to build an elite line, and I don't think the current tackles have been or could be expected to reach that level of play. For me this points to drafting at least one tackle in the next two years, at a minimum. With the QB position in the state we now have, an above average line is a must. I'm trying to keep an open mind with Glennon, but one of my nightmare scenarios is we have a year of poor health up front and we all get to see just how bad he can be under pressure.

As a result of this, I keep coming back to my dream of the Bears being able to trade down from #3. A lot of the players I'm excited about in the draft don't seem to make a ton of sense at the pick we have, and there's a bunch of positions where I'd like to see an early round pick invested.
Agree. Definitely need to trade down to realistically get a shot at a top T, as I've seen Glennon play, and he needs protection. He's smart, tougher than he looks, has a cannon but is careful avoiding INTs, can run when it's planned, but has zero elusiveness or mobility when he's static in the pocket and gets pressured...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Seemed to just fine moving his feet against Stanford. Actually watching this game again convinced me he is better then you think. Solomon Thomas had a great game as well just never matched against McDermont.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I forgot to respond to this. Connor does actually nice better then I remembered in this game. He had a weird fall late in the second. Looked like his knee gave out. However a few plays later he was moving well again.

Also Thomas was beast moding.