Rumor: Bears "antsy" to trade out of 3rd slot

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

6. Teams that want to trade down. San Francisco (two), Chicago (three) and the Jets (six) are the ones I hear are most antsy to move back in a market with few teams wanting to move up.

7. Teams that want to trade back up. Cleveland at 12, if the Browns take Garrett number one (most likely scenario) and want to use their treasure trove of picks (12, 33, 52, 65, 108 this year, with a first- and three second-round picks next year) to move up from 12 to, say, 2, to ensure getting the quarterback they want. Spitballing only: But Cleveland from 12 to two makes a lot of sense. This would allow the Niners to still get a good player at 12 (Solomon Thomas? Christian McCaffrey? Mike Williams?), as well as Cleveland’s one next year and at least one other prominent pick.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/17/dan- ... peter-king" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I just want draft day to get here already .. there are a million and a half different scenarios out now for each team ... some quite comical

I'd like to do a sports Rip Van Winkle and simply sleep through the next million guesses
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

If the niners pull off a mega trade down with Cleveland and I have to endure Pace telling us the Browns just didn't offer enough...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

1. Cleveland... Myles Garrett

12. Cleveland... DeShaun Watson..."He was our next choice after Garrett"
...or...
12. Cleveland... Mitch Trubisky... "We liked him better than the rest"
...or...
12. Cleveland... Patrick Mahomes II... "He was the guy we wanted"

Any of those outcomes end up sounding really good with QB picks at 12.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

I am beging to think it doesn't matter who is available at nimber 3. Looks like we bought the whole store with Mahomes. Wether we take him at 3 or trade down I will not throw something at the TV if it happens. Mahomes has the highest upside of any QB in the draft besides maybe these guys:

Watson is aproven winner take all the rest out of the equation he does win.
Evans has un believable potential but with potential comes serious concerns.
Dobbs maybe the smartest QB in the draft. Doesn't always translate to the NFL though.

I believe we may trade down or quiet possibly take Mahomes at number 3. Pace does not care where draft experts place people he has his list and sticks to it. To many meetings to discount the Mahomes rumors.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:I am beging to think it doesn't matter who is available at nimber 3. Looks like we bought the whole store with Mahomes. Wether we take him at 3 or trade down I will not throw something at the TV if it happens. Mahomes has the highest upside of any QB in the draft besides maybe these guys:

Dobbs maybe the smartest QB in the draft. Doesn't always translate to the NFL though.

I believe we may trade down or quiet possibly take Mahomes at number 3. Pace does not care where draft experts place people he has his list and sticks to it. To many meetings to discount the Mahomes rumors.
The thing about Mahomes is... I don't know how the Bears think they can make him into a WCO precision passer. Do you think that? I wonder what your opinion of Mahomes is. I love the guy and like you and others, think he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in this draft.

But as far as shoehorning him into Loggains' WCO scheme, I think that's a really tough sell with his risktaking AND outrageous mechanics. He's a smart and coachable kid and all (which I also love about him), but that's a whole lot of changes you're making to a guy to have him run a scheme.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Mikefive wrote:But as far as shoehorning him into Loggains' WCO scheme, I think that's a really tough sell with his risktaking AND outrageous mechanics. He's a smart and coachable kid and all (which I also love about him), but that's a whole lot of changes you're making to a guy to have him run a scheme.
Maybe Loggains can revise his scheme for his QB. How many players on the offense would be adversely affected by a change?
Adipost
MVP

EricTighe wrote:I am beging to think it doesn't matter who is available at nimber 3. Looks like we bought the whole store with Mahomes. Wether we take him at 3 or trade down I will not throw something at the TV if it happens. Mahomes has the highest upside of any QB in the draft besides maybe these guys:

What makes you possibly think this???
wab
Mod

Middleguard wrote:
Mikefive wrote:But as far as shoehorning him into Loggains' WCO scheme, I think that's a really tough sell with his risktaking AND outrageous mechanics. He's a smart and coachable kid and all (which I also love about him), but that's a whole lot of changes you're making to a guy to have him run a scheme.
Maybe Loggains can revise his scheme for his QB. How many players on the offense would be adversely affected by a change?
Mahomes is similar to Jake Locker. Loggains has experience with that type of dude.
Middleguard
MVP

wab wrote:Mahomes is similar to Jake Locker. Loggains has experience with that type of dude.
I get the Loggains-Locker connection, but not the Locker-Mahomes connection.
G08
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:
wab wrote:Mahomes is similar to Jake Locker. Loggains has experience with that type of dude.
I get the Loggains-Locker connection, but not the Locker-Mahomes connection.
Thick, athletic QBs with big arms.

I honestly like Mahomes more as a prospect, better arm and IMO more of a playmaker off schedule.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"