Guys I want to see in a Bears uniform come 2017. Sleepers

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

My late round sleepers that I want in the worst way.

Kai Nacua, S, BYU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80. Actually ran a 4.5 at his pro day. That was his slow time.
Projected Round (2017): 6-FA.
3/25/17: Nacua had a fabulous start to his senior season with some big games in terms of creating turnovers. In 2016, he totaled six interceptions, 48 tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss and two passes broken up. Nacua's statline wasn't an anomaly as he showed excellent instincts as a junior. He was a ballhawk in 2015 with six interceptions.

Nacua is a sleeper prospect who could be a steal. Teams graded him as a late-rounder because they doubt he has the speed to play in the NFL.

His pro day results:
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-footb ... rvey-langi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His career stats:
http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/kai-nacua" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I still have a huge man crush on this kid. Seen him many times on TV and always stood out. Still think he is one of the best Safeties in this class period.

Damore'ea Stringefellow*, WR, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2017): 3-4. Most sites have him being unrestricted FA.
4/8/17: Stringefellow took over for Laquon Treadwell in 2016 and had a quality season for the Rebels. It could have been better if Chad Kelly hadn't gone down with an injury during the season. On the year, Stringefellow totaled 46 receptions for 716 yards with six touchdowns. As a sophomore (36-503-5) and freshman (20-259-1) Stringefellow contributed behind Treadwell and Evan Engram.

Stringefellow has a nice combination of size and speed. He likely would have benefited by returning for his senior year to produce more as the No. 1 target before going pro. He has some off-the-field issues, too, which prevented him from working out at the combine.

His pro day numbers:

http://www.scout.com/college/ole-miss/s ... at-pro-day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His career stats:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... low-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok this is a homer pick cuz the kid is from my backyard. But he was one of top players comming out of high school and other then some problems early on has been squeaky clean. I know kids that played with him and his a damn good kid. I believe he could be our answer at WR to replace Alshon. This kid is going to be a stud mark my words on it. I was right on Alshon when I said he was the best WR in his calss and I am right on this kid. He is simply the best WR in this class.

Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA
Height: 6-3. Weight: 305. Arm: 31.63. Hand: 10.63.
40 Time: 4.99.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.
4/15/17: Vanderdoes was a stout run defender at the point of attack, but didn't show much in the pass rush. He recorded 29 tackles with 1.5 sacks in 2016. Vanderdoes had a quality week at the Senior Bowl and worked out pretty well at the combine.

8/13/16: At the beginning of the 2015 season, Vanderdoes tore a knee ligament and went out for the year. UCLA said that his knee locked up on him earlier in the contest in which he was injured, but the final moment for him on the field came when he lifted up defensive tackle Kenny Clark (6-3, 310) while celebrating a touchdown catch that Clark made. Both were in on the goal-line offense.

Vanderdoes was a tough defender in 2014 for the Bruins, notching 50 tackles with 5.5 tackles for a loss. He came on late in that season and clearly has a lot of upside to develop.

Know one thing about this kid. With Kenny Clark on the field he out played him. Not sure where he is going and not sure if we are even thinking about a DT but he came from Jim Mora's 3-4 scheme (same as ours) so there would not be a learning curve. When he got hurt he was listed as a first round talent before the injury. He now has a year under his belt so this year he should be back at 100 percent and ready to dominate again. Ok maybe not a sleeper.

Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State
Height: 5-8. Weight: 176. Arm: 28.13. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
4/8/17: Pumphrey was superb in 2016. He averaged 6.1 yards per carry for 2,133 yards with 17 touchdowns. Pumphrey also made 27 receptions for 231 yards. If he were bigger, he would definitely be rated higher. Pumphrey had a prolific college career, becoming the all-time leading rusher in NCAA history. Pumphrey was okay at the Senior Bowl, but his size is a big detriment for the NFL.

9/3/16: Pumphrey has put together back-to-back huge seasons for San Diego State. In 2015, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry for 1,653 yards with 17 touchdowns. He also had 28 receptions for 416 yards with three scores. As a sophomore, Pumphrey averaged 6.8 yards per carry for 1,867 yards with 20 touchdowns. He caught 23 passes as a sophomore and 22 as a freshman. Pumphrey could be a backup/third-down back in the NFL.

Simply put I see him solving our problems at KR, 3rd down back (slot WR) and PR. If he were 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier he would go in the 1st round. But he is not so we may get a jem in the later rounds who could help us for the next ten years.

Zach Banner, OT, USC
Height: 6-8. Weight: 353. Arm: 33.63. Hand: 10.75.
40 Time: 5.58.
Projected Round (2017): 5-7.
3/25/17: Banner and the rest of the USC offensive line didn't impress against Alabama in the 2016 season opener. He played better after that, but dealt with an ankle injury. Sources say that Banner has some athletic talent, but he has big problems with his weight, work ethic and lethargy. Banner had some struggles at the Senior Bowl as the fast defensive linemen gave him a lot of issues. He did have a good tape when he did well blocking UCLA edge rusher Takkarist McKinley.

9/3/16: While he's played on the left side at times for the Trojans, Banner is probably more of a smash-mouth right tackle for the NFL. He has a lot of strength at the point attack and obviously is a massive blocker. Banner showed some athleticism by playing some basketball at USC. In 2015, he made two starts at left tackle and the other 12 games at right tackle.

His playing weight is about 370 to 400lbs usually. Son of Lincoln Kennedy. This boy flat out engulfs anyone he gets his hands on. He maybe available in the later rounds if so why not take a shot on greatness. If nothing else could you imagine him on the goal line blowing up the D-lineman. Even if that is all he is good for that makes him a specialty player that is in high demand. But I believe in our power blocking scheme he is a great fit at RT or back-up guard to start his career. Let him take over for sitton in a few years and we could be good for years to come. He needs to be in right system to succeed. Can't have him pulling and getting to the second level. TO damn big for that.

Vincent Taylor*, 3-4DE, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 310. Arm: 34.38.
40 Time: 5.07.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.
4/15/17: Taylor is a sleeper prospect who could end up being a nice value pick in the mid-rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft. He has disruptive speed at the point of attack with the strength to fight off blockers. Taylor played well as a junior and decided to skip his senior year. In 2016, Taylor had 51 tackles with 13 for a loss, seven sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass broken up.

8/13/16: Taylor had 48 tackles with 8.5 for a loss, five sacks and a pass broken up in 2015. He has quality size and athleticism with good upside to develop.

Saw 3 OSU games this year and this kid stuck out. He is strong and long armed. All the TV analysts talked about was his non-stop motor. Everything needed to have a long career in the NFL. He has a higher upside then most DE in this class. But with upside there is always and usually the swing and the miss. But with his motor worth taking a shot on this kid.

Nate Iese, FB, UCLA
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2017): FA.
4/8/17: In 2016, Iese totaled 25 receptions for 400 yards and four touchdowns.

7/30/16: Iese had 11 receptions for 96 yards in 2015. He is a thick fullback who is built for the next level.

THis kid is a human recking ball that can actually catch the rock. Damn good on special teams as well. He is that wedge guy who goes down and takes out two or three blockers on KR. he is nothing more then a FA. Not even sure if we are looking for a FB with how little we use one. But luv watching this kid play ole school smash mouth football. Oh yeah played his senior year at TE. So he can play both positions which is actually how we use our FB most of the time. Seems a perfect fit.

have a few more but these our kids that are way better then projected. Hope I hear one or two of these names called on draft day for us.
wab
Mod

There's no way in hell a 6'8 370lb man will be able to play guard in the NFL. He's a RT or he's not in the NFL.

He's also a TERRIBLE fit for this scheme. The Bears run primarily a "pin and pull" stretch zone offense where the inside OL are required to reach block (not good for Banner) and pull (even worse for Banner). Getting to the second level is essential for the Bears offense.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:There's no way in hell a 6'8 370lb man will be able to play guard in the NFL. He's a RT or he's not in the NFL.

He's also a TERRIBLE fit for this scheme. The Bears run primarily a "pin and pull" stretch zone offense where the inside OL are required to reach block (not good for Banner) and pull (even worse for Banner). Getting to the second level is essential for the Bears offense.
Yeah, it's important to look at scheme when you're talking about offensive linemen especially. Long and Whitehair could probably do pretty well in a power block scheme like Cincy runs as well as the Bears' scheme, but Leno would not. (It's part of why the Massie signing made little sense to me — I mean, he's better than Jordan Mills was, but then so is this:
Image)

I'm already on board the Vanderdoes and Taylor trains, though.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
karhu
Head Coach

What thunder said.

Some day-three types I like:

Deatrich Wise, DE (should be a high second-rounder, but doesn't seem like he will be)
Blair Brown, ILB
David Jones, S
Jeremy Cutrer, CB
Josh Augusta, NT
George Kittle, TE
Jylan Ware, OT
Max Rich, OT
Tywan Taylor, WR
Robert Davis, WR
Elijah McGuire, RB
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

Vanderdoes is basically a younger Unrein/Wilson. I like Taylor though. Pumphrey is interesting...but he makes Darren Sproles look like Jerome Bettis...plus Bralon Addison kind of already fills the role that Pumphrey would. Nacua will probably have to gain some weight and play OLB in a 4-3.

I know nothing of Stringfellow.
EricTighe
MVP

Why would Nacua need to switch to OLB? He ran a 4.5 40 yrd dash. He also picked off more passes then the other top prospects. Well he did have a private work out with the Pats. Guess Bill really liked what he saw.

Vanderdoes prior to injury was a 1st rounder. Unrein/Wilson were never 1st round potential.

True on Pumphrey but I believe Addison was a WR for the Ducks. So he is still learning how to be a RB. Pumphrey already know how to be a RB, just needs work at catching. So although they are similar if we put them together then we would have Darren Sproles.
karhu
Head Coach

My worries about Nacua boil down to this: if I thought he wasn't very fast, and everyone else seems to have thought he wasn't very fast, and then he turns out to be very fast at the combine...what accounts for the discrepancy? More to the point: if he's so good with the ball in his hands, why does he seem slow without it?

It seems to be the scheme: he's got a very limited range of responsibilities, and therefore doesn't get to, well, show that he can cover much range. I certainly never saw him turn and run with a TE, let alone a WR, like Jamal Adams routinely did. And he's looked awkward supporting the run. David Jones, who's more slightly built, is really good at re-setting his depth in the defense against the run, improving his angles, and then striking. Nacua didn't do that once in the stuff I saw.

What we know about him is that he's a good zone safety who's positioned well (mostly, under this assumption, by his coaches) and is less a ball hawk than an in-the-right-place guy who finishes plays better than most higher-rated safeties (I don't think I saw him really high-point a ball once, and he routinely lets passes get into his body...but he catches 'em). Maybe he's more than that. It's worth a sixth-rounder, maybe, to find out, but not much more than that IMSO.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
CRM 114
Journeyman

I always wanted to see Tom Brady in a Bears uniform.
G08
Hall of Famer

CRM 114 wrote:I always wanted to see Tom Brady in a Bears uniform.
Be honest... you meant to say you've always wanted to see Tom Brady's Bears uniform crumpled on the floor next to your bed
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
CRM 114 wrote:I always wanted to see Tom Brady in a Bears uniform.
Be honest... you meant to say you've always wanted to see Tom Brady's Bears uniform crumpled on the floor next to your bed
Apply cold water to burned area.