At #3: what you THINK will happen vs what you WANT to happen

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

For the purposes of this exercise, I'm presuming both Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas to be off the board.
(I'm also excluding trading down, which would be my #1 option. )

What I think will happen:
The Bears select Malik Hooker (if he has been cleared by Bears medical staff) or Jonathan Allen (if he has not).

Hooker absolutely fits the Ryan Pace Round 1 profile of exceptional upside. Allen absolutely fits the Ryan Pace Round 1 profile of interest in Leonard Williams/DeForest Buckner big dudes who can play.

What I would like to happen:
The Bears select Patrick Mahomes II.

A total swing for the fences with the QB I like most in this draft.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

What I think will happen? The Bears will try like hell to trade down. If they can't, I think they'll take Allen or Lattimore.

What I want to happen? Watson or Mahomes.
Nanky
Journeyman

I think the Bears will try to trade down, but won't find a trade partner, so they will take Hooker. He just feels like a Pace pick to me.

What I'd like to happen is a trade back, then pick up a QB, hopefully Trubisky or Mahomes.
Adipost
MVP

I think the Bears are drafting Trubisky at #3.
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky makes a ton of sense to me as well... accurate passer, athletic, solid arm.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What I think the Bears will do at #3... A crap shoot.

I'm going to go with Adipost and G08 and say they're going to draft Trubisky. The more I watch him on tape, he seems like a good fit for a WC scheme. That he'll need extra time with his limited experience is aided by Glennon being here.

If they don't take Tru, then I think it's a coin flip between Jonathan Allen--perfect fit 5 tech guy--or Jamal Adams.

I think there's a chance they could take Watson for his intangibles. But my bias against guys with accuracy issues tells me they pass on him. I think Mahomes--while my favorite QB in this draft with the highest ceiling--just is a terrible fit for a WCO with his gunslinger style and lack of mechanics.

Personally, I don't want them to take a QB at 3. I love Jamal Adams and his leadership ability. I know 3 is too high for a S and I was a proponent of Allen before I found out about his shoulder issue, but we need guys who can play and will play when we get good again. Will Allen be showing signs of age as his rookie contract nears it's end? Could very well be. Adams just seems like the safer pick.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

This front office and staff won't be around when the Bears get good again.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pace is under contract through the 2019-2020 season.

I kind of think he's going to give Fox one last shot this season, build up his defense and get some more weapons on offense, and if he shits the bed, Fox is fired.

That gives Pace 2018 with a new head coach and an ability for the head coach to hand pick his QB of the future. Pace then has 2018 and 2019 to show progress or he's a goner as well.

That kind of makes more sense to me than going QB at #3, sitting him for a year, and possibly firing Fox and forcing this young QB on the next head coach.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think and want to trade back with Carolina. Its a win for both teams. Then Draft Mahomes.
wab
Mod

I think I will leave draft day confused and angry...like I have every draft since Pace was hired.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think I will leave draft day confused and angry...like I have every draft since Pace was hired.
He's ruined two first round pick experiences for me thus far. I don't expect anything less next week.
Middleguard
MVP

I think that what I will want to happen will be whatever will not happen. Then I'll try to persuade myself I didn't really mean it, and everything has turned out for the best.
USSGlennon
Rookie

G08 wrote:Pace is under contract through the 2019-2020 season.

I kind of think he's going to give Fox one last shot this season, build up his defense and get some more weapons on offense, and if he shits the bed, Fox is fired.

That gives Pace 2018 with a new head coach and an ability for the head coach to hand pick his QB of the future. Pace then has 2018 and 2019 to show progress or he's a goner as well.

That kind of makes more sense to me than going QB at #3, sitting him for a year, and possibly firing Fox and forcing this young QB on the next head coach.
Yes, this makes sense all the way 'round. If we don't trade down, I think it will be Adams. Depending on Allen's health evaluation, it could also be him. I'm fine with either.
britbear
Player of the Month

My heart wants Watson. My head tells me Pace will screw up this #3 pick. Who that will be I couldn't tell you. I just have no confidence in him making the right pick after the Sanchez signing.

This is the most unpredictable top of the first round in many years. This time next week we will know...
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
G08
Hall of Famer

USSGlennon wrote:
G08 wrote:Pace is under contract through the 2019-2020 season.

Yes, this makes sense all the way 'round. If we don't trade down, I think it will be Adams. Depending on Allen's health evaluation, it could also be him. I'm fine with either.
But then on the flip-side, Moon Mullin and others have reported that Pace and friends have been on one of the most thorough/exhaustive QB evaluation processes that they can remember. So you have to take that into account as well.

Such a mind-fuck, I can't wait to stop thinking about this shit and just dive into the "tape" of all the players we draft.
Gaytoe
Journeyman

Such a mind-fuck, I can't wait to stop thinking about this shit and just dive into the "tape" of all the players we draft.

This. I am so exhausted of reading about smokescreen; at this point I'm past being upset if we don't get the guy I want. Just tell me who I am going to be rooting for so I have something new to do for the next 3 months or so.
wab
Mod

I've gotten myself convinced that I'm going to be upset/disappointed with the first 3 rounds anyway. At least if I expect the worst I won't be let down.
karhu
Head Coach

Want: Trade down
Think: Watson
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.