PFT: 1st rd prospect mixed up in sexual assault allegation

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Well...it's Gareon Conley. So... yeah.
Nanky
Journeyman

Ok so if Conley is there in the 7th round, do you draft him?

I say go for it, I thought we should have with Collins a couple of years ago as well. It's not like many 7th round picks make it anyways, and in my mind that would be one hell of a good gamble to make.
wab
Mod

Man, I don't know. I tend to say no in these situations since the risk is rarely worth the reward.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Nanky wrote:Ok so if Conley is there in the 7th round, do you draft him?
I don't.

And I didn't really fault any team that passed on Collins back then either. The fact that he has since been exonerated doesn't change what I feel should have been done at the time.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm just stupid. But I don't want a guy like that on a team of which I'm a fan.
If that makes me a "loser who only wants choir boys", I'll accept that label, inaccurate though I think it is.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Statistically speaking, false accusations of sexual assault happen about 8% of the time.
Not that I'm implying anything about this particular situation, but I bet that number is significantly higher when you reduce the sample to circumstances involving guys who are or are about to be professional athletes.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:Statistically speaking, false accusations of sexual assault happen about 8% of the time.
Not that I'm implying anything about this particular situation, but I bet that number is significantly higher when you reduce the sample to circumstances involving guys who are or are about to be professional athletes.
but also probably lower if you reduce the number to just college athletes. *cough*baylor i'm looking in your direction*cough*
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
It's possible it could be lower if all the women who don't report sexual assault actually reported it as well...
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:if what we've read so far is correct, hopefully it's pretty open and shut? conley claims there was no sexual conduct at all, she claims she went to the hospital and they ran a rape kit.
From Ian rapoport:
#Raiders CB Gareon Conley’s lawyer tells me Conley & his accuser had a “consensual” sexual event that night. “Her version is not accurate
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That sounds bad. Different story already from him. There is another report that went over some version that sounded shady as fuck.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Oh wow. First he didn't have sex with her now it's be had consensual sex? wonder if raiders will even sign him as this is changing