2017 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Let's keep all rumors, speculation, draft pick-by-pick-type discussion here please.

Greg Gabrial thoughts this morning:

1- @AdamSchefter has reported that Browns may select Trubisky at 1. There is a growing belief around the league that it may be true

2- I'll believe it when I see it but it wouldn't shock me.

3- to further the belief Browns may take Trubisky, last night they called teams about moving down from 12.

4- if Browns were taking Garrett, they would need 12 to move up and to select Trubiskey

5- if Browns in fact take Trubisky, SF wins Powerball and gets Garrett.

6- Bears would have to move down from 3 but if Browns take the QB, chances of moving down have become slimmer

7- if Bears can't move down from 3 they will select from Thomas and Adams. My guess would be Thomas

8- If Browns do in fact select Trubisky, it would be one of the dumbest moves in the recent history of the Draft

9 - @AdamSchefter almost always gets accurate information, so why should we doubt him?

10 - Browns could have both Garrett and Trubisky if they would sit back and be smart about this. Why aren't they?

------------

@JasonColeBR
Two teams in the QB chase believe Trubisky will be the No.1 pick OR Cleveland will pay a truckload to move up to the 2 or 3 spot

------------

@TyDunne
33s
Icymi, the most connected pro football writer in the business, @BobMcGinn, has Mitchell Trubisky going No. 1. packersnews.com/story/sports/n…

-------------
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ryan Pace has been quoted several times speaking of the Bears taking "the best player available" :

Bears have three players in mind for No. 3
During a pre-draft press conference on Wednesday, Bears General Manager Ryan Pace said that the team has identified three players worthy of being picked with the third overall pick in this year’s draft. That means that they will have one of those players available when they are on the board regardless of what happens with the top two selections, assuming, of course, that the Bears don’t trade down.

If they do, Pace says they have “a cloud of names” that would fit for a lower spot in the first round but said that the team’s general approach to making the pick will remain the same at any spot.

“You get yourself into trouble if you’re not sticking with our philosophy of best player available,” Pace said, via the Chicago Sun-Times. “When you start trying to manufacture things or create things, that’s when teams get into dangerous water. I think, if we just stay with the guys we have a consensus on and best player available, we’ll be in good shape.”

Pace didn’t offer any hints about which players would qualify for that description or about what positions they might play, but the wait to find out won’t extend too much longer.
so this leaves how "best player available" is defined open to speculation ... because I would think it should be more than random guess in determining players of different positions to determine who is the best available ... for instance what metrics do they use to decide the best LB on the board is better than the best RB on the board

so while the phrase "best player available" is used a lot, there does not seem to be any actual information in how that label is actually defined ... meaning to me it is just another smoke screen phrase
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

@JasonColeBR
34m
And yes, someone close to Deshaun Watson implied last night that the #Bears could be in play at 3 to take him. That's a hard one to envision
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Trubisky, but #1 overall for a guy whose ceiling is a rich man's Andy Dalton is hard to figure.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

From GGabriel
1- @AdamSchefter has reported that Browns may select Trubisky at 1. There is a growing belief around the league that it may be true
That shit is funny.

Also rumors Watson at 4 are funny. This is going to be a shit show. I don't Twitter often, but I'll be watching the twittering today.
UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:I like Trubisky, but #1 overall for a guy whose ceiling is a rich man's Andy Dalton is hard to figure.
Don't you think, based on the Browns QB situation since they've come back into the NFL, that they would literally be beside themselves with joy over having basically Andy Dalton?
malk
Head Coach

Best player available is such BS. That philosophy inherently disbars trades and we've seen Pace trading down lots before. The idea that there are only three players worth the #3 pick is laughable. I'd be happy to put money on those three players not being the best three in this draft.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

@LanceZierlein
I believe the Titans already have a trade (back) in place and ready to go for this evening. I expect it to happen.

@JasonColeBR
11s
Among teams #Broncos have talked to about trading up are #Titans at No. 5. Might be too rich to go that high, but possible.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

20 to 5 for Mcaffrey? Wow. Not expected. Elway has balls. Unfortunately he needs a LT.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:@LanceZierlein
I believe the Titans already have a trade (back) in place and ready to go for this evening. I expect it to happen.

@JasonColeBR
11s
Among teams #Broncos have talked to about trading up are #Titans at No. 5. Might be too rich to go that high, but possible.
I'd guess that trade is contingent on the Browns/Niners/Bears not taking Trubisky.
UOK
Site Admin

McCaffrey is apparently in the target of the Panthers. I think Broncos will trade up to beat Bucs to get Dalvin Cook.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:McCaffrey is apparently in the target of the Panthers. I think Broncos will trade up to beat Bucs to get Dalvin Cook.
Bolles?
UOK
Site Admin

@Barnold1993
2m
Breer on NFLN just said look out for Redskins to trade up for Fournette or McCaffrey.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _brow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Multiple sources say Garrett will be #1 overall pick.
Adipost
MVP

The 49ers have held discussions with three teams inside the top 10 and three teams outside the top 10 about a possible trade for the No. 2 overall pick, a league source told NBC Sports Bay Area on Thursday
Adipost
MVP

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports the Browns have been "working the phones" trying to trade up from No. 12 overall to draft Mitchell Trubisky.
Cabot, via multiple league sources, reports the Browns will take Myles Garrett with the No. 1 overall pick and then focus their attention on coming up from No. 12 to land Trubisky. It'll be easier said than done, but Cleveland has plenty of draft ammo to pull it off if they want. Cabot reports talks will get going if Trubisky falls into the pick Nos. 5-6 range of the first round. The 49ers, Bears, and even the Jaguars are options to take Trubisky at Nos. 2-4 when Cleveland passes at No. 1.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Apr 27 - 4:38 PM
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Alright boys...here we go! The future is NOW!

Ryan Pace...Don't fuck this up!

I have been so busy with work and school I haven't really been paying attention to the mocks and the latest news. What happened to Deshaun Watson? I saw one mock with him falling to 25th. Has reality set in about how mediocre this QB class really is??

Will the chat room be open tonight?
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Alright boys...here we go! The future is NOW!

I have been so busy with work and school I haven't really been paying attention to the mocks and the latest news. What happened to Deshaun Watson? I saw one mock with him falling to 25th. Has reality set in about how mediocre this QB class really is??

ABSOLUTELY
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Alright boys...here we go! The future is NOW!

ABSOLUTELY
:headbang:
Adipost
MVP

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Here we go: Bears are considering trading back from No. 3, per sources.
6:40 PM · Apr 27, 2017
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Here we go: Bears are considering trading back from No. 3, per sources.
6:40 PM · Apr 27, 2017
Omh the must logical possibility who would have thought. Trade back or Thomas.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Alright here we go. Trade down draft mahomes.
Hematite
Player of the Month

WTF?
LacertineForest
MVP

Jesus Christ, why trade up?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
karhu
Head Coach

Christ on a crutch, that's stupid.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
LacertineForest
MVP

Lmao, never saw that coming

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
WagonForce
MVP

What the fuck
Chifaninca
Journeyman

Snap Reaction - > Pace just shat the bed.....You didn't have to give up all that for that......... All you Glennon haters can now use this to advocate Pace Messing up Free Agency as well. Rediculous..........Unless you are trying to outsmart the Browns and hold Trubisky for a Browns Ransom.........
karhu
Head Coach

What did Lil' Bonehead send the '9ers?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.