Bear Drafted Player Scouting Reports (Updated 2nd Round)

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Nanky
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Nanky wrote:
G08 wrote:Nobody
Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.
As long as you're applying the same test every year, a person can look at the data and come to conclusions. Relax dude.
But you can't; if you want to look at data and draw conclusions then every one of the participants needs to be doing the same thing. IE throw as hard as your can.

These dudes are trying to complete passes, not rifle fastballs.

It's unbelievably stupid to judge on those numbers.
It's just another piece of information, anyone would be stupid to only look at that and make a final decision based solely on it. It's a piece of the puzzle. The more information the better, I think looking back at the history of velocities is interesting. It's a very small piece of the puzzle, but it's info so why not look at it.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.
Actually they do. I asked two different dudes who have involved. They tell them throw it as hard as you can, and every QB knows its for the gun.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote:
Nanky wrote:
Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.
As long as you're applying the same test every year, a person can look at the data and come to conclusions. Relax dude.
But you can't; if you want to look at data and draw conclusions then every one of the participants needs to be doing the same thing. IE throw as hard as your can.

If you're just throwing to complete passes and your passes are 5 MPH slower than everyone else's that's a potential problem because the disparity in velocity could be the difference between an interception and completion.

How much faster does someone throwing a 55 MPH pass (when they're trying to be accurate) get to the receiver than a guy throwing 49 to be accurate? I'm bad at math but I'd think probably a second or two depending on how far you're throwing.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.
Actually they do. I asked two different dudes who have involved. They tell them throw it as hard as you can, and every QB knows its for the gun.
Can I ask who? I've heard otherwise. Benjamin Allbright (solid twitter follow) broke down Watson's mph in a game based on frame rate, came away with 53 mph. I don't know from where he would get an extra 4mph on his throws (unless you want to argue adrenaline) in a game compared to the Combine.

The whole thing is dumb to me. I mean Mike Glennon has a solid arm and he was clocked at 49 mph at the Combine, which is worse than Peterman and Kaaya (which is preposterous).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.
Can I ask who? I've heard otherwise. Benjamin Allbright (solid twitter follow) broke down Watson's mph in a game based on frame rate, came away with 53 mph. I don't know from where he would get an extra 4mph on his throws (unless you want to argue adrenaline) in a game compared to the Combine.

The whole thing is dumb to me. I mean Mike Glennon has a solid arm and he was clocked at 49 mph at the Combine, which is worse than Peterman and Kaaya (which is preposterous).
This article mentions them throwing for velocity: https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday ... thomas/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be wrong or poor wording though, I suppose.

Also, I'm not sure how scientific the process you describe that guy on Twitter doing is. And even if you could reliably extrapolate that from tv, I doubt he's qualified to do it accurately.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Doing a frame by frame calc is going to have a wide discrepancy.

I shouldn't say their names. I don't think they would appreciate it. So these are my anonymous sources. Lol, but I do trust them even if they are pucker fans. One has a connection to a guy on the velocity list the other was a qb way back on the depth chart to someone on that list.

Another reason to trust the validity (not of the findings, but that teams are looking). There was a show on discovery or history channel called American Muscle. It only has like 3 episodes. As a S&C geek I watched it. Very little S&C insight. However Pat White was on it. Trying to get ready for a camp. They literally worked on his velocity, saying anything below 45 teams won't look at you. I believe he hits 48. This might be a lose connection but it was important to them. Suh and Nick Swisher were on the show training also.

All of that said I think the Gabriel article saying spin might be more important, has validity to. I think that's why Watson's passes vs Kaaya look different. Arm angle and spin.
G08
Hall of Famer

That's fine... I just go off the eyeball test and if there's a world were Peterman/Kaaya have a better arm than Glennon, I don't want to live in it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
G08 wrote:
Nanky wrote:
Asked
These
QBs
To
Throw
As
Hard
As
They
Can

For fucks sake.

If you're just throwing to complete passes and your passes are 5 MPH slower than everyone else's that's a potential problem because the disparity in velocity could be the difference between an interception and completion.

How much faster does someone throwing a 55 MPH pass (when they're trying to be accurate) get to the receiver than a guy throwing 49 to be accurate? I'm bad at math but I'd think probably a second or two depending on how far you're throwing.
55mph is 24.59 m/s. 49 mph is 21.90 m/s. So trying to rifle it 20 yards takes 0.81s for the former and 0.91s for the latter.

Taken to more of an extreme 60mph is 26.82 m/s, 45 mph is 20.12 m/s. So the same 20 yard throw would take 0.75s for 60 mph and 0.99s for 45mph.

So the question is, what difference does a quarter of a second make? You've also got to factor in the mechanics of the QB i.e. how quick their release is. Their vision/anticipation, can they throw a receiver open or do they need to see them open first.

Then you'd need to know whether there was a dropoff in accuracy as each QB approached their maximum velocity. If someone can only scrape 45 mph when wanging it as hard as they can then there's a problem but if that's their standard consistent speed and they just don't have that higher gearing then I'm not so fussed.

Ultimately, yes it's a data point but I don't think it's a particularly meaningful one outside of perhaps triggering further investigation if under a threshold or used to confirm something seen on tape.

EDIT. Looking at that ourlads page I don't trust the data either. Only three players in 2017 achieved 55mph or higher with a max of 56mph. 10 players managed it in 2016. Now maybe 2017 was the year of the noodle but does anyone think that Mahomes wouldn't be considered one of the best arms in that 2016 class rather than around 10th best?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)