R4,P112: Eddie Jackson, S - Alabama

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Funkster wrote:I watched 8 of his games on DB. His film isn't impressive, shows more wrong than right. Not sure what Pace and Co. sees in this kid? Only thing I can see as a potential building block is he can stay on the receivers hip on deep balls and has some PB follow through. I don't like this pick at all. Hope I'm wrong.
So I guess it was a mistake when he was named the defensive MVP in the national championship game in 2016?
wab
Mod

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Funkster wrote:I watched 8 of his games on DB. His film isn't impressive, shows more wrong than right. Not sure what Pace and Co. sees in this kid? Only thing I can see as a potential building block is he can stay on the receivers hip on deep balls and has some PB follow through. I don't like this pick at all. Hope I'm wrong.
So I guess it was a mistake when he was named the defensive MVP in the national championship game in 2016?
Over...
Jonathan Allen
A'Shawn Robinson
Jarran Reed
Marlon Humphrey
Reggie Ragland
and
Reuben Foster

That's a lot of NFL players right there.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Over...
Jonathan Allen
A'Shawn Robinson
Jarran Reed
Marlon Humphrey
Reggie Ragland
and
Reuben Foster

That's a lot of NFL players right there.
All I have is his film to base my opinion off of. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'm hanging my hat on Fangio's experience in getting the most out of his players.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

The Bears also happen to have one of the best defensive back coaches in the NFL.
Funkster
MVP

True. I just don't see him as an upgrade to anyone in the rotation. IMO, the bears really need a ball hawking safety that can put fear into QB's and create turnovers. I just don't see Jackson as that type of player.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Adipost
MVP

Didn't everyone here want Obi in the 2nd? Now his tape was unimpressive.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Deon Branch won a super bowl mvp. Then he went to another team and wasn't mvpish. So did Jackson the safely from Tampa. Tebow was the best college player in Football. I don't think one accolade proves much. I also don't think funk is wrong.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Deon Branch won a super bowl mvp. Then he went to another team and wasn't mvpish. So did Jackson the safely from Tampa. Tebow was the best college player in Football. I don't think one accolade proves much. I also don't think funk is wrong.
Some guys are definitely the product of a system. But the claim he made was that he did a lot more wrong than right.

There are a couple problems with this claim. First, he doesn't know what Jackson was asked to do in the context of the defense, next if he were a bumbling idiot that didn't know how to play safety, Saban could of easily benched him, instead he was a permanent captain.

He was obviously doing things Saban wanted him to do.
Middleguard
MVP

I like the fact that Pace believes Jackson is a good PR. Almost a sop to Fox, who I believe prefers a defensive player in that role to an offensive player. But, in any case, Jackson seems like a more useful player when not on STs than the PRs the Bears have had recently.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

At worst, he ends up being a good return man... at best he can be a great center fielder who is dynamic when he gets his hands on an INT... On top of that on a team stacked with talent they looked to this guy as a leader... when he went down during the season the defense had to change completely. And weren't people here complaining about Emery not taking Clinton-Dix? Jackson was better than Clinton-Dix....
Funkster
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote: On top of that on a team stacked with talent they looked to this guy as a leader... when he went down during the season the defense had to change completely.

That's a good point that I failed to see. They did look to him as a leader.

It's just hard for me to ignore the consistent bad that shows up on on his film.
ysleblanc
MVP

G08 wrote:The only thing I don't like about him is that he's soft in run-support, and a poor tackler as other posters have addressed here.

Good thing we have Amos for that.

I like this kid as a true center-fielder.

I was going to say that...his tacking and durability are his main drawbacks...but he can still add some weight over the next 18 months, that would help in both areas. Good coaching can help the tackling part...being a FS as opposed to a SS, it's not as big a concern.

Overall, I really like the pick. Some had him as a early 2nd rounder before his injury.
ysleblanc
MVP

Funkster wrote:True. I just don't see him as an upgrade to anyone in the rotation. IMO, the bears really need a ball hawking safety that can put fear into QB's and create turnovers. I just don't see Jackson as that type of player.

That's exactly what he is, a guy with very good instincts in space and a ball hawk. The other young safeties on the roster are more box guys...Bush HJQ and Amos.
Funkster
MVP

ysleblanc wrote:
Funkster wrote:True. I just don't see him as an upgrade to anyone in the rotation. IMO, the bears really need a ball hawking safety that can put fear into QB's and create turnovers. I just don't see Jackson as that type of player.

That's exactly what he is, a guy with very good instincts in space and a ball hawk.
From the 8 games I watched, I disagree 100%. But again, I hope I wrong.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

This "ball hawk" term is very detrimental to the amateur scouting process. Some DBs have REALLY good number years. ALL DBs have really low number years. What is a "ball hawk" 6-9 INTs per year? Who is that? INTs are amazing, but one person shouldn't be THE INT guy. Who was the last Patriots "ball hawk"? Or Giants "ball hawk"? Did the Cowboys have a "ball hawk" this past year?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

alexwilkins wrote:This "ball hawk" term is very detrimental to the amateur scouting process. Some DBs have REALLY good number years. ALL DBs have really low number years. What is a "ball hawk" 6-9 INTs per year? Who is that? INTs are amazing, but one person shouldn't be THE INT guy. Who was the last Patriots "ball hawk"? Or Giants "ball hawk"? Did the Cowboys have a "ball hawk" this past year?
What is a ball hawk, you say?

G08
Hall of Famer

Anyone got any speed numbers on this kid? High school, track if he ran it, etc?

I found this but I don't know if it's accurate:
Jackson checks in at 6'1'', 175 pounds and he really sets himself apart with his speed. He runs a 4.38 40 according to 247Sports.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I haven't seen any recent specific 40 times because of his injury, but based on his tape - he seems to play pretty fast IMO.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

The pre-draft comments that he benefited from having a lot of talent in front of him is a bit flawed IMO. If that were the case, then how come his replacements (Shawn Burgess-Becker and Ronnie Harrison) didn't have the same type of impact as ball hawks?

Some players have that innate ability to get themselves in position to make interceptions based on instincts, awareness and preparation. If healthy this upcoming season, I think Jackson make a solid impact on our defense and special teams.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I really want for him to start opposite Demps.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Anyone got any speed numbers on this kid? High school, track if he ran it, etc?

Jackson checks in at 6'1'', 175 pounds and he really sets himself apart with his speed. He runs a 4.38 40 according to 247Sports.
I don't know numbers but his tape shows speed!
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:Anyone got any speed numbers on this kid? High school, track if he ran it, etc?

I don't know numbers but his tape shows speed!
Oh for sure, I just like to quantify things like speed if I can.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

did you see the interview with saban in the trib? it's a good puff piece, but there was a funny question at the end with saban calling out haters who dont think he's fast enough:

What made him such an effective punt returner?

I can't even tell you. Everybody questions his speed. Everybody questions all this stuff. But if you look at the long punt returns that he made this year, you would say in each case when it started out, it wasn't going to be that good of a play. If you just stopped the film and said, "OK, there's five guys here that have a chance to make this play. I think we might not have a great return." And then all of a sudden, he makes somebody miss. He makes a cut. He sets up a block. And the next thing you know, we're out the gate. There's an instinct, an intuition of skill that goes with all that. Everybody questions Eddie's speed, but nobody ever caught him on any of those punt returns either. And there are quite a few guys in our league that can run.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:did you see the interview with saban in the trib? it's a good puff piece, but there was a funny question at the end with saban calling out haters who dont think he's fast enough:

What made him such an effective punt returner?

I can't even tell you. Everybody questions his speed. Everybody questions all this stuff. But if you look at the long punt returns that he made this year, you would say in each case when it started out, it wasn't going to be that good of a play. If you just stopped the film and said, "OK, there's five guys here that have a chance to make this play. I think we might not have a great return." And then all of a sudden, he makes somebody miss. He makes a cut. He sets up a block. And the next thing you know, we're out the gate. There's an instinct, an intuition of skill that goes with all that. Everybody questions Eddie's speed, but nobody ever caught him on any of those punt returns either. And there are quite a few guys in our league that can run.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sure did! That's what piqued my interest in his numbers... I think this dude might be a good one if he gets tougher in run support.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

ahh, gotcha
G08
Hall of Famer

http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/03/0 ... -s-alabama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

One thing is for certain, Jackson is exciting when the ball is in his hands - either on punt returns or INT's.
Never Die Easy
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:One thing is for certain, Jackson is exciting when the ball is in his hands - either on punt returns or INT's.
yeah, those return highlights are legitimately exciting to watch. he sees the field so well with the ball in his hands.
Passepartout
Rookie

Yeah just really think with the ball in his hands, he will be something else.
JUNE BUG!
G08
Hall of Famer

I honestly will be happy if he can get up to about 210 lbs, tackle with more ferocity/consistency, and not fuck up his coverages like we have become so accustomed to with Bears' safeties.

I hope Demps and he are the starters.