MMQB details on 49ers war room during Trubisky trade

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san- ... peter-king" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chicago, picking third, badly wanted someone. The Bears and Niners had an understanding that if Chicago’s man was still on the board after Cleveland picked (Chicago GM Ryan Pace wouldn’t tell Lynch who Player X was; the Niners figured it was Thomas), the Bears would give at least two third-round picks to move from three to two.

No nerves, but no pleasantries either. Marathe, who talks very fast and with great confidence, called another team with interest in the second slot and said, “We got some good action on the pick.” Marathe talked to the club official (he would not disclose the official, or the team) for maybe a minute, just to crystallize that if Garrett was there at two, the Niners would either pick or take a ransom for the pick.

“See if we can get one last thing with Chicago,” Lynch said to Marathe.

Marathe called the Bears. “To try to solidify this now,” Marathe said to Pace, “we’re gonna need a little bit more to finish. It wouldn’t have to be much. Like, your four. So let’s say your third, 67 overall, this year, your three next year, and your four this year, 111 overall … I’m not gonna string you along … No … I will do it quickly. Let me get with John and Kyle and I’ll call you right back.”

The Bears agreed. They’d give two third-round picks and a fourth-rounder to move up one spot.

“Man, who do they want?” Lynch said. “Gotta be Solomon, right?”

“Call me crazy,” Marathe said. “But I think it’s Trubisky.”

“Then why’d they go get [free-agent quarterback Mike] Glennon?” Lynch said.

They debated, and made sure that if they couldn’t find a trading partner to move down from three, they were comfortable taking Foster—with a questionable shoulder and a positive combine test for a diluted drug sample—with the third overall pick, if the Bears took Solomon. But they wanted to try to move down as far as No. 8 because they felt Foster had no chance of being selected before Cincinnati at No. 9.

Four minutes passed. “Don’t lose Chicago, Paraag,” Lynch said.

Marathe got the Bears on the phone. “Cleveland needs not to do something crazy,” Marathe said to Pace. “Other than that we’re good to go if you are—67, 111 and next year’s three, 2018. Shoot, is next year 2018? Time flies. We’re close to a handshake, right?”

Pause.
“Hey,” Marathe said, “can you tell me who you’re taking? I’m so curious.”
No dice.

Off the phone, Marathe said to Lynch and Shanahan: “He [Pace] said, ‘I think you guys are going to be comfortable with what we do.’ So I don’t know what that is.”
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so the 49ers had the same questions we did - they couldn't be wanting a QB or they wouldn't have signed Glennon, right?

just goes to show you never really know until it actually happens
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Interesting detail
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Can you imagine if they would have taken Foster at #3? They'd be getting skewered instead of the Bears.

"WHY would they basically GIVE away the #2 pick to take a guy they could have gotten in ROUND 2!?"

But because the Bears took Trubisky instead of Thomas, the Niners are somehow geniuses.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Can you imagine if they would have taken Foster at #3? They'd be getting skewered instead of the Bears.

"WHY would they basically GIVE away the #2 pick to take a guy they could have gotten in ROUND 2!?"

But because the Bears took Trubisky instead of Thomas, the Niners are somehow geniuses.
Plus this is the 49ers we're talking about. Thomas is a 3-4 talent being shoved into a 4-3 system. Foster will get pinged by the drug tests at some point and miss games. They have the 2016 Chicago Bears quarterbacks as their starter competition.

And Pace didn't get fucking fleeced. He had to beat out a possible Cleveland negotiation and everybody knows how much ammo they had to work with. Plus if the 49ers knew he was going up for a QB they would've demanded more - possibly way more.

Remember, folks, Jared Goff, possibly an infinitely worse player than Trubisky, required multiple 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds to move up from the 15th overall spot.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I read that different.

Marathe...... called another team with interest in the second slot and said, “We got some good action on the pick.” Marathe talked to the club official (he would not disclose the official, or the team) for maybe a minute, just to crystallize that if Garrett was there at two, the Niners would either pick or take a ransom for the pick.
They called a team who wanted # 2 before Cleveland took Garrett. Then they call Pace and ask for more, like a team is interested and Chicago is behind.
“Call me crazy,” Marathe said. “But I think it’s Trubisky.”

“Then why’d they go get [free-agent quarterback Mike] Glennon?” Lynch said.
Then they laugh at the Bears.
They debated, and made sure that if they couldn’t find a trading partner to move down from three,
They discuss not having other options as Garrett will go number 1. The Bears are the only bigger as the other team wanted Garrett.

Pace got hosed.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:Can you imagine if they would have taken Foster at #3? They'd be getting skewered instead of the Bears.

Plus this is the 49ers we're talking about. Thomas is a 3-4 talent being shoved into a 4-3 system. Foster will get pinged by the drug tests at some point and miss games. They have the 2016 Chicago Bears quarterbacks as their starter competition.

And Pace didn't get fucking fleeced. He had to beat out a possible Cleveland negotiation and everybody knows how much ammo they had to work with. Plus if the 49ers knew he was going up for a QB they would've demanded more - possibly way more.
maybe fleeced isn't the right word, but it does appear he got played

I don't understand the actions to move up 1 spot, but I understand Pace did it in order to ensure he got his guy ... so now all that is left is for Trubisky to step in and actually be that guy, and I will be rooting for him to do that

UOK wrote:Remember, folks, Jared Goff, possibly an infinitely worse player than Trubisky, required multiple 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds to move up from the 15th overall spot.

other teams have definitely done weirder, and more expensive, things than what Pace did ... but what Pace did is still a head scratcher
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: other teams have definitely done weirder, and more expensive, things than what Pace did ... but what Pace did is still a head scratcher
I wouldn't go so far as to say head scratcher so much as calling it a gamble. It's not like he gave up elite future 1st/2nd rounders, setting back the franchise drastically.

If Trubisky proves to be a reliable starter for years to come, then Pace will have gotten him cheap.
Adipost
MVP

This proves that Pace was bidding against himself. But I still like the pick.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:This proves that Pace was bidding against himself. But I still like the pick.

really?

I must have missed the post where you jumped off the Deshone Kizer bandwagon
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:This proves that Pace was bidding against himself.

Appearing on ESPN’s morning radio show Mike and Mike, NFL insider Adam Schefter shed some light on the Bears’ decision to trade the No. 3 pick, a third and fourth-rounder in 2017, and a third-round pick in 2018 to move up to the No. 2 pick for UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Contrary to the national narrative, the Bears weren’t schooled.

While Chicago was in heavy negotiations with the San Francisco 49ers, they were holding off the Cleveland Browns by negotiating a deal that would allow the Browns to move up to the No. 3 pick; In essence, they duped Cleveland into believing they could move into the Bears’ spot for Trubisky, who by all accounts, the Browns coveted nearly as much as Myles Garrett.

By using such a deceptive tactic, the Bears were able to keep the Browns away from the 49ers pick and insured they’d get their guy.

Schefter confirmed that multiple teams were interested in moving up for the No. 2 pick, too. The narrative that Pace was bidding against himself to move up is simply false, as is the suggestion that coach John Fox wasn’t involved in the evaluation of Trubisky.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/0 ... -trubisky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK was too quick (not the first time he's been told that I'm sure...)

As a related note - several national guys are calling LaCanfora out for a completely bullshit report about the Bills GM. So its not just the Bears that LaCanfora makes up stories about.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Ian Rapoport just reported on the radio that his sources tell him the 49ers absolutely had another offer for the #2 pick (no mention of Myles Garrett).

Of course - he also says that Cleveland was not going to trade up (which disputes the Schefter report that the Bears were on the phone with Cleveland about a trade).

So basically no one knows anything.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

While Chicago was in heavy negotiations with the San Francisco 49ers, they were holding off the Cleveland Browns by negotiating a deal that would allow the Browns to move up to the No. 3 pick; In essence, they duped Cleveland into believing they could move into the Bears’ spot for Trubisky, who by all accounts, the Browns coveted nearly as much as Myles Garrett.

By using such a deceptive tactic, the Bears were able to keep the Browns away from the 49ers pick and insured they’d get their guy.
so they teased and lied to the Browns while working their deal with the 49ers? now that is some true self serving backstabbing that would make many an old time Chicago politician proud
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:so they teased and lied to the Browns while working their deal with the 49ers? now that is some true self serving backstabbing that would make many an old time Chicago politician proud
I'd call it an excellent strategy.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:This proves that Pace was bidding against himself.

Appearing on ESPN’s morning radio show Mike and Mike, NFL insider Adam Schefter shed some light on the Bears’ decision to trade the No. 3 pick, a third and fourth-rounder in 2017, and a third-round pick in 2018 to move up to the No. 2 pick for UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Contrary to the national narrative, the Bears weren’t schooled.

Schefter confirmed that multiple teams were interested in moving up for the No. 2 pick, too. The narrative that Pace was bidding against himself to move up is simply false, as is the suggestion that coach John Fox wasn’t involved in the evaluation of Trubisky.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/0 ... -trubisky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's his source? Ryan Pace? It's pretty clear what happened from the OP.
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote: What's his source?
Indeed, Adam Schefter clearly has no idea what he's talking about and is a very unreliable source.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

What this really boils down to is too many people have the culture of wanting to look good more than being good. I run across this all the time with guys I play sports with and people I watch sports with.

So of course that is bleeding into this discussion. Many feel that Pace looks bad in his trade.

But I would rather win ugly that lose pretty, so I am more than OK with an seemingly ugly trade that got the job done.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
Indeed, Adam Schefter clearly has no idea what he's talking about and is a very unreliable source.
You should really watch the video from the link you provided. This was all speculation. Schefter was just throwing out a theory about what he thinks might have happened and the article posted it as if it was fact.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:
You should really watch the video from the link you provided. This was all speculation. Schefter was just throwing out a theory about what he thinks might have happened and the article posted it as if it was fact.
And I would trust a Schefter theory infinitely more than LaJACKASSconforta supposed sources, which is code for he pulled more bullshit out of his arse.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:
Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:
And I would trust a Schefter theory infinitely more than LaJACKASSconforta supposed sources, which is code for he pulled more bullshit out of his arse.

LaCanfora was literally just called a liar by quite a few national guys re: his story on former Bills GM Doug Whaley. In this case LaCanfora is trying to piggy back off of a Mort report. Unfortunately for Jason, Mort has already walked back his initial report.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

1. After what seemed like endless conversations over weekend about the Bears’ unorthodox draft, I went to bed Sunday night with this two-part conclusion:

A. The 49ers did have another team that wanted to trade up No. 2.
B. That team was probably not the Cleveland Browns, who badly coveted Trubisky, but had no idea the Bears wanted the same quarterback at No. 3.

And that’s the irony of this situation: the Bears are essentially getting punished for doing an outstanding job of keeping their interest in Trubisky quiet. Had they tipped their hand, it’s entirely possible the Browns — or another team — would have traded up to No. 2. At the very least, the 49ers would have had more offers and Pace would have had to give up a lot more than he did.

Consider that as of Thursday afternoon, the 49ers and Bears still did not know if the Browns were actually taking Myles Garrett at No. 1. Cleveland’s love for Trubisky was 100 percent real and if they were even considering taking the quarterback over a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Garrett, then it was entirely plausible they would be willing to use their truck-load of acquired draft capital to trade back up to No. 2.

My informed conclusion is that the Browns absolutely wanted to trade back up to get Trubisky, but they did not know they had to go all the way to No. 2 to get him. Pace deserves credit for this.

http://wgnradio.com/2017/05/01/hoges-10 ... ars-draft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hoge's whole piece is pretty damn positive and worth your click if you havent read it yet.
Pagan
MVP

This is just yet another example of you do NOT try to be the first to post "news" or be too quick to form a strong Opinion based on the opinion of others.

How many times do we need to have arguments based on biased opinions & alternative facts?

This is one of/the most educated sports groups & it's STILL ridiculous how fast some of us jump on a negative Chicago Bears/sports narritve!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:This is just yet another example of you do NOT try to be the first to post "news" or be too quick to form a strong Opinion based on the opinion of others.

How many times do we need to have arguments based on biased opinions & alternative facts?

This is one of/the most educated sports groups & it's STILL ridiculous how fast some of us jump on a negative Chicago Bears/sports narritve!

problem is, these guys are not trying to post news ... they are trying to be the first with the headline that grabs the most hits ... facts are rarely if ever part of their story writing / posting criteria ... so these alleged "experts" we're all supposed to be following get more attention and prestige than they deserve

doesn't seem too long ago you could generally trust the reports from major news organizations as they did their homework before going public with their thoughts (perhaps those days were longer ago than I'm thinking at the moment) ... these days, whatever they feel like pulling from their ass goes straight to the keyboard and then out to the world as a "major scoop"

the only positive from these clowns now is it looks like they are ready to feed on each other ... other media types calling bullshit on LaHysteria is a welcome sight ... but the flipside is even those doing a positive thing in this case have things-from-their-ass problems of their own with the stuff they write

guess this is just the curse of the interweb world where sports reporters no longer have editors to please with facts before they can go to print ... they can just make up whatever they want, claim it is from inside sources, and hit send ... and don't even get me started on the idiocy of twitter

so I guess it would behoove us all that when we read something from these knobs saying "un-named inside sources have told me ....", we need to instantly translate that to "I'm making this shit up as I go" and handle it accordingly
George Carlin
karhu
Head Coach

On the one hand, yeah, Pace got played. Badly. And now the league knows it.

On the other hand, what would we have honestly done with that fourth-rounder? Not being snide here: we probably traded out of a guy who wouldn't or shouldn't have made the team anyway.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote:On the one hand, yeah, Pace got played. Badly. And now the league knows it.
Yet Pace was still able to make a good trade in Round 2 with another team that "knew" he "got played." Seems to me, if the rest of the league knew he was a pigeon, that wouldn't happen; they'd hold out till they got what they wanted instead.

I don't think he got played. He paid more than you would've paid, I get that. Heck, he probably paid more than I would've paid. But he did it to ensure no one else got his guy, and if you're sold on someone, that's what you do.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote:On the one hand, yeah, Pace got played. Badly. And now the league knows it.
not so fast sport

go here to this page of the Halas Hall forum - http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 8&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and click this - Inside the Bears’ Covert Op to Draft Mitchell Trubisky

and join the discussion
George Carlin
karhu
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
not so fast sport

go here to this page of the Halas Hall forum - http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 8&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and click this - Inside the Bears’ Covert Op to Draft Mitchell Trubisky

and join the discussion
Wish I had time, champ.

But for what it's worth, by "played", I just mean that Pace didn't strike the best deal he could've. Doesn't seem to have done much to push back against the premise they presented and the terms they dictated.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

John Lynch was on the Rich Eisen Show the other day to talk the draft, and he gave his side of what went down with trading with the Bears.

If it worked, I attached the podcast file to the hour Lynch was on. Interview starts at the 23:40 mark.

http://www.richeisenshow.com/listen-live/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

karhu wrote: On the other hand, what would we have honestly done with that fourth-rounder? Not being snide here: we probably traded out of a guy who wouldn't or shouldn't have made the team anyway.
Well considering some believe he traded up for Jackson because he missed out on the guy who went a pick before him... the guy selected with the 111 pick, the one he threw in extra on the deal... maybe we would have drafted that guy...