The logic to Pace's draft madness

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I found this article I have linked on Windy City gridiron. The article seems fairly well thought out and I think gives a pretty good idea on how Pace is trying to build the Bears. I'm interested in how other about thing about this article.
www.windycitygridiron.com/2017/5/3/15505418/understanding-ryan-pace-chicago-bears-nfl-draft-trade-trubisky
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I really enjoyed the article. It was very well thought out, it was interesting though that Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard weren't really mentioned in his draft analysis. I thought those were Pace's two best draft picks from the 2015 and 2016 drafts.
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:I really enjoyed the article. It was very well thought out, it was interesting though that Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard weren't really mentioned in his draft analysis. I thought those were Pace's two best draft picks from the 2015 and 2016 drafts.
I thought the article was probably the best analysis I have read on the Pace regime. From what I got of it he that Pace is building the floor though free agency by being conservative, but swinging for the fences in the draft. Whitehair and Howard were home runs. He does need to hit big on some of those first rounders. Floyd looks good to me, but he still needs to step it up a notch in year two and stay off the injury report. I am in the minority, I think, of those who like the Trubisky pick. I am not really expecting much yet in 2017 for the team as a whole and I do not have much confidence in John Fox.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
karhu
Head Coach

Good find; I like it.

This might've been our first Maximum Pace offseason, in which his scouting system and the scouts themselves had been where he wanted them for a good year leading up to the draft. On top of what Sunderbruch noted, it's interesting to me that Pace took asymmetrical talents where he could, bypassing solid WRs for the biggest, tallest TE he could find; focusing on a safety with demonstrated experience as a CB; adding the waterbuggiest RB in the draft; and a guard who tests average but who looks like Fred Astaire when it counts. Even down to Morgan, those are all tough guys to prepare for...if they can play, which we might learn none of them can.

On top of that, I wonder if the strategy wasn't always to head into 2018 with absolutely no need for a QB, and to ransom what should be a high draft pick. Pace wants to be on the mvoe-down end of a Mariota/Goff/Wentz/Trubisky trade.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote:On top of that, I wonder if the strategy wasn't always to head into 2018 with absolutely no need for a QB, and to ransom what should be a high draft pick. Pace wants to be on the mvoe-down end of a Mariota/Goff/Wentz/Trubisky trade.
Interesting thought! That never occurred to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.