2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like they have identified 8 players they like at pick #8 and he would like to get that 3rd round pick back.

If 4 QBs go ahead of us, that means Pace can trade down to #12 and still get one of his targets AND a 3rd round pick back.

So this all means he trades up for Bradley Chubb.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

I think Pace will get the 3rd back by trading out of the 2nd.
G08
Hall of Famer

Anyone have any guesses on the "Pace 8"? Sounds like 0 of them are QBs (rightfully so)

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Anyone have any guesses on the "Pace 8"? Sounds like 0 of them are QBs (rightfully so)
Hmmmm. In no particular order:
Chubb
Nelson
Vea
Smith
Davenport
Edmunds

And my dark horses... Bryan/Oliver
G08
Hall of Famer

No particular order:

Barkley
Chubb
Nelson
Smith
Fitzpatrick
Edmunds
Davenport
James

If we stick at #8, I think Smith is the pick (assuming he's there). If we trade down to 10-11-12, I think it's a pass rusher.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Barkley
Chubb
Vea
James
Landry
Davenport
Payne
Ridley
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

My guess at Pace's top 8:

Chubb
Nelson
Barkley
Smith
Fitzpatrick
Ward
James
Edmunds
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Barkley
Chubb
Vea
James
Landry
Davenport
Payne
Ridley
I can’t take any list seriously that excludes Nelson
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Barkley
Chubb
Vea
James
Landry
Davenport
Payne
Ridley
I can’t take any list seriously that excludes Nelson
eh, you've been wrong before.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Is anyone else worried about us selecting Roquan Smith? He could be a great sideline to sideline player with good speed and have a knack for diagnosing plays but in todays NFL with LB's expected to drop into coverage and the tendency for teams to go for 6'5" pass catching TE's, I'm worried he may get swallowed up against those type players.
wab
Mod

beardownbilly wrote:Is anyone else worried about us selecting Roquan Smith? He could be a great sideline to sideline player with good speed and have a knack for diagnosing plays but in todays NFL with LB's expected to drop into coverage and the tendency for teams to go for 6'5" pass catching TE's, I'm worried he may get swallowed up against those type players.
He's the same exact size as Trevathan.
UOK
Site Admin

I'd be cool with Smith. I'd honestly be cool with anyone. There's nobody who I would say, "OH GOD NO" over them taking. I'd be a little miffed maybe, but not like angry or something.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:I'd be cool with Smith. I'd honestly be cool with anyone. There's nobody who I would say, "OH GOD NO" over them taking. I'd be a little miffed maybe, but not like angry or something.
Pretty much. There are a few picks I wouldn't understand, but it's not like I'd throw stuff at my TV the way I wanted to when they didn't trade up for Leonard Williams.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I would be surprised at Smith. He is obviously a fantastic player. The way the roster is set, and his skill set, the benefit doesn't outweigh other players in my opinion.
G08
Hall of Famer

If they go Roquan Smith I think he lines up next to Trevathan this season; next season Trevathan is cut and our starters are Smith and Kwiatkoski.

I could make an argument for Minkah Fitzpatrick at nickel this season and if Amos doesn't take a big step at safety he isn't re-signed and Fitzpatrick takes his job.

Nelson... I don't know, I don't see the need to take a guard at #8. Joe Thomas was one of the best LTs in the game and how much did he move the needle for a dog-shit Cleveland Browns franchise (and he was a LT for crying out loud -- they deserve to be picked that high -- not a LG).

Ward... he's smaller than what I think Fangio likes on the outside, but he's just about the right size to play nickel if you look at Callahan/Le'Blanc. He's sticky as fuck in coverage and isn't afraid to come up and stick his nose in run support, so I could see an argument for him as well. Amukamara can be cut after the 2019 season and you can slide Ward into that position.

I think in my perfect world, only 3 QBs go in the top 7 and we get Miami or Buffalo to trade up to 8. From there, we should have a shot at one of the aforementioned players OR a pass rusher like Marcus Davenport or Harold Landry.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:If they go Roquan Smith I think he lines up next to Trevathan this season; next season Trevathan is cut and our starters are Smith and Kwiatkoski.
Or Kawasaki moves outside where he doesn't have to worry as much about coverage (but your scenario is more likely).
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:If they go Roquan Smith I think he lines up next to Trevathan this season; next season Trevathan is cut and our starters are Smith and Kwiatkoski.
Or Kawasaki moves outside where he doesn't have to worry as much about coverage (but your scenario is more likely).
I honestly would almost prefer it to be Smith and Kwiatkoski but that's not fair to a vet like Trevathan, and honestly I think the kid could learn a lot from lining up next to Danny.

Linebackers make this system go so if Fangio is pounding the table for him I just don't know how Ryan Pace can ignore it. I liked hearing him say that Fangio has strong convictions, both ways, about a ton of the prospects in this draft.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Anonymous NFL OC says Jackson won’t stick at quarterback...

https://apple.news/AneDQzbFzR0WxWe-NG79VYA
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I'd be cool with Smith. I'd honestly be cool with anyone. There's nobody who I would say, "OH GOD NO" over them taking. I'd be a little miffed maybe, but not like angry or something.
I'm not that bigga fan of Smith in our defense. But it's one of those where I could be wrong.

Even so, if we took him or anyone for that matter, I wouldn't be mad or throwing stuff at my TV. I don't do that any more. I wait until I see them actually play before I get upset. :-P

I used to be one of those throw things at my TV on draft day kinda guys. But maybe I've matured since then, probably because I threw things at my TV and then found out the guy could actually play. More than once. Or twice. Today, I'm a bit more cognizant of my limitations. :evilgrin:

This year has been my biggest draft interest year in some time, probably because getting a new coach has grabbed my interest and now I'm sucked in. I just want the draft to be here and then TC to start.
Last edited by Mikefive on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I keep looking at this draft, and the roster... and while I do think pass rusher is one of the Bears biggest needs, I don't necessarily think the Bears have to reach for one. I think they will take one - maybe two, but I don't think it has to be at 8. Or even 39.

I say this....because the 2019 draft is LOADED with pass rushers.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Terell Lewis
Josh Allen (the other one)
Shareef Miller
Zach Allen
Anthony Nelson

All potential 1st round picks next year.

And yeah, I get it... you never want to pass on one guy hoping you'll get a guy next year. But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he rolled with what he has at edge, picks a guy or two later in the draft, and then grabs a projected stud next year.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.
Got examples? My mind is too cluttered with this draft to think back.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.
I mean the biggest one is Mitch. But he said as much when he was hot after Mariota when he was hired.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
He has mentioned it in interviews. Trying to look a draft ahead that is.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I keep looking at this draft, and the roster... and while I do think pass rusher is one of the Bears biggest needs, I don't necessarily think the Bears have to reach for one. I think they will take one - maybe two, but I don't think it has to be at 8. Or even 39.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Terell Lewis
Shareef Miller
Zach Allen
Anthony Nelson

And yeah, I get it... you never want to pass on one guy hoping you'll get a guy next year. But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he rolled with what he has at edge, picks a guy or two later in the draft, and then grabs a projected stud next year.
Wow. That's really interesting. It does make you wonder how far ahead Pace is looking.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just don't think I like intentionally leaving holes on your roster, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it makes sense. Probably isn't thinking playoffs or contention this season, huh?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I just don't think I like intentionally leaving holes on your roster, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it makes sense. Probably isn't thinking playoffs or contention this season, huh?
It doesn't make sense. It's hopeing for something that might not happen.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:I keep looking at this draft, and the roster... and while I do think pass rusher is one of the Bears biggest needs, I don't necessarily think the Bears have to reach for one. I think they will take one - maybe two, but I don't think it has to be at 8. Or even 39.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Terell Lewis
Shareef Miller
Zach Allen
Anthony Nelson

But what are the odds the Bears can land Bosa or Ferrell in next year’s draft?