2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Sure - it might be too early, but since this draft came and went so quickly, thought it would be nice to see who the top players are for next season at this time.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 17-nos-110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right now, if I'm the Bears, I'm evaluating the LT group and Connor Williams looks like a stud.
Never Die Easy
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

OT is top of my list, too, although I still see a sizable number of medium to high-end concerns:

Position….Rounds…………………..Comment
1) OT……1-2……………………both mediocre, Massie overpaid and Leno will be, if retained
2) E………1-4…………………… 4/6 are FAs and Howard is very iffy
3) S………1-3……………………Tons of ok young depth, but old and/or mediocre at the top
4) CB……1-3.…………………..Healthy and at their best, this unit is fine. Both starters are FA.
5) WR..….1-3…………………..A real box of chocolates, but probably lacking at the top
6) OT……2-3……………………both mediocre, Massie overpaid and Leno will be, if retained
7) OLB….1-4……………………McPhee, Houston expensive and injury problems
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote:OT is top of my list, too, although I still see a sizable number of medium to high-end concerns:

1) OT……1-2……………………both mediocre, Massie overpaid and Leno will be, if retained
2) E………1-4…………………… 4/6 are FAs and Howard is very iffy
3) S………1-3……………………Tons of ok young depth, but old and/or mediocre at the top
4) CB……1-3.…………………..Healthy and at their best, this unit is fine. Both starters are FA.
5) WR..….1-3…………………..A real box of chocolates, but probably lacking at the top
6) OT……2-3……………………both mediocre, Massie overpaid and Leno will be, if retained
7) OLB….1-4……………………McPhee, Houston expensive and injury problems
Pretty much agree with that list. I think OT will be a top need heading into 2018 along with DE and CB.
Never Die Easy
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I still like Charles Leno. I know LT is "the second most important position, but he's low key really good. He's not Elite by any sense, not yet anyway, but I'm reserving judgement. He's going into there season with it being his job to lose, and I think that should build some confidence in him. He's a 7th round pick for cryin out loud. I don't think he's going to demand that much, either. And durability? He started 39 consecutive games in college, and he was the ONLY Chicago Bears to play 100% of the offensive snaps last year.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Leno gives up plays occasionally, but he's solid. I liken him to Andy Heck.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Again, the only thing Leno really has going against him is his size. Thankfully he has long arms. Historically guys at that position at that size don't hold up over the long run. Just ask Willie Colon, Kelvin Beachum, and Garry Williams.

I'm perfectly happy with the Bears squeezing whatever they can out of him while they can, as long as they have a contingency plan for when he inevitably goes down/suddenly drops off.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I think his size is less of an issue in the zone scheme the Bears use, but your larger point is sound.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The one thing about Leno is compared to the years prior to his arrival, he is at least competent, which makes him look like a pro bowler compared to the heaping dogshit pile that was before him. LT's don't grow on trees and many first round LT's have played much less effective than Leno. To write him off is dumb.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Ok, so what if the Bears can't trade their pick(value wise, with the team behind them "knowing" they don't need a QB) And a potential stud QB is sitting there in their lap at say pick #4. Do you double down at the position?

Let's just say Glennon plays well enough to play the year out but shows enough that he isn't the answer. Yet Trubisky didn't get much time in because of this. Trubisky is then projected starter after learning the NFL game from the sidelines. But still, you just don't really know yet.

Do you double down on the position trying to lock your self up at a position that gave the franchise trouble forever? Gain great depth at a position that every team in the league craves? Or do you go with the next best player at a position of need?

i know it's crazy thinking, but hey...
wab
Mod

Taking a top 5 QB 2 years in a row would get Pace run out of the city before the 2nd round even started.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Ok, so what if the Bears can't trade their pick(value wise, with the team behind them "knowing" they don't need a QB) And a potential stud QB is sitting there in their lap at say pick #4. Do you double down at the position?

Let's just say Glennon plays well enough to play the year out but shows enough that he isn't the answer. Yet Trubisky didn't get much time in because of this. Trubisky is then projected starter after learning the NFL game from the sidelines. But still, you just don't really know yet.

Do you double down on the position trying to lock your self up at a position that gave the franchise trouble forever? Gain great depth at a position that every team in the league craves? Or do you go with the next best player at a position of need?

i know it's crazy thinking, but hey...
QB is the 1 position where a top 5 prospect will always attract trade value.

Everybody knew SF didn't want to take QB at 2 (regardless of taking one being a reasonable choice), and they still got a trade. And not just a trade - they very next team in line made a trade to move 1 space, because they were that terrified of all the other trade offers they figured the QB could generate.

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

This is true, I mean there will be offers no doubt. But how good the offer is, and weighing out how good the prospect is.

I was thinking it but didn't lay the question out as well. My thought was more about the quality of the prospect. What if someone is sitting there that could be the next P Manning, Luck, Rodgers ect. A top shelf prospect that everyone wants and the Bears once again shit the bed and are lucky enough to be in position. My question would be, do you take him with Trubisky on the roster? Or do you get back the picks you gave up the prior season? Do you go with the Best player available concept? (In this case another QB) or load up on picks?

In all honesty, I like Trubisky and want him to be the first great QB the Bears have had (not counting a few old dogs that played before my time), that said.... I think I would seriously consider taking another QB prospect.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I don't think there is a chance that it will happen, but it's not the craziest idea. Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson snagged Aikman in the regular draft and then turned around and traded away their next year's first round pick to pick up Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. So Dallas had two rookie QB first round draft picks battling it out, alternating practicing with the first team, alternating preseason starts, etc.

Their approach may seem stupid to some, but if the Bears ever were as determined to solve their problems at the QB position, then maybe we wouldn't be looking at 1940's Sid Luckman as the franchise's all time great QB.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Besides Calvin Ridley, who are some of the top WR prospects in this year's draft that excite you?
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote:Besides Calvin Ridley, who are some of the top WR prospects in this year's draft that excite you?
I like James Washington an awful lot. Aside from him, Courtland Sutton and Equanimeous St. Brown are my faves.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I haven't seen much of Sutton - read some decent things about him. I do however like Brown and Washington a lot too. Washington just seems like a really good route runner and gets separation more often times than not. Also has game breaking ability, just seems to have a knack for making huge plays.
Never Die Easy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I think we can trade back few spots depending on what QB is available. I believe we should work our OL first though. Massie needs upgraded and Leno with his extension could probably still be upgraded as well. WRs are found all throughout the draft, but quality lineman usually first few rounds. Plus I keep hearing this draft has a lot of WR depth but haven't heard much about ol.
wab
Mod

Bears need another pass rusher, a WR, a RT, and a CB. In that order.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

While I really want another pass rusher. However giving Trubs tools seems to be the number one priority. Even doubling up on a position in the first 3 rounds like WR.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Bears need another pass rusher, a WR, a RT, and a CB. In that order.
Yep, I agree! I'm also expecting Fuller to re-sign here so that helps bump CB down.

I love Meredith... as a #2

I hate Kevin White... period

I like Kendall Wright as a #3

I don't know what to think of Markus Wheaton yet... but he can be cut next season for $750k (frees up $5 million in cap space).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Bears need another pass rusher, a WR, a RT, and a CB. In that order.
Yep, I agree! I'm also expecting Fuller to re-sign here so that helps bump CB down.

I love Meredith... as a #2

I hate Kevin White... period

I like Kendall Wright as a #3

I don't know what to think of Markus Wheaton yet... but he can be cut next season for $750k (frees up $5 million in cap space).
If our wr depth next season is:
-high draft pick
-meredith
-wright
-white/bellamy/thompson/gentry

i am very happy.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

After 1/4 of the season, I've updated the shopping list:

1) WR..….1-2…………………..A wreck, could use a vet and a prospect
2) OLB….1-2……………………Age, injury, and expense problems, all in one
3) S………1-2……………………One old guy with not much time left plus one young maybe
4) OT……1-2……………………both mediocre at best, but can’t dump Leno until 2019
5) K……….5-7………………….Barth fair with no range and a FA
6) P……....5-7………………….Off to an unusually good start in a contract yr, but I’m watching you

Not having a R3 sucks. That's still a really quality round.

With this being an awesome year for FA WR
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ue-for-wrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and not enough picks to go around (as always), my current blueprint is
* Pay for a stud veteran WR (Prepare to live with FA, Wright/Wheaton, Cam, White at your top spots. Hope the other 2 can show you something.)
* Get a R1 OT to help Mitchy in pass pro. Play him at RT for 2-4 yrs, then move to LT and cut Leno, once there's limited dead money involved. Looks like a solid to good OT year.
* R2: probably OLB, but maybe S or WR, if those shake out as better value.
Last edited by Moriarty on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:After 1/4 of the season, I've updated the shopping list:

6) P……....5-7………………….Off to an unusually good start in a contract yr, but I’m watching you

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ue-for-wrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Pay for a stud veteran WR (live with FA, Wright/Wheaton, Cam, White at your top spots)
* Get a R1 OT to help Mitchy in pass pro. Play him at RT for 2-4 yrs, then move to LT and cut Leno, once there's limited dead money involved. Looks like a solid to good OT year.
* R2: probably OLB, but S or WR, if
I just dont see how they would take a safety early, especially after they potentially just hit on a FS in the fourth, finally allowing us to move amos to what is obviously his natural position, SS.
WR, CB, OT, OLB, ILB (we are starting Timu/Jones this week FFS) in that order before you consider a safety.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:

* Pay for a stud veteran WR (live with FA, Wright/Wheaton, Cam, White at your top spots)
I just dont see how they would take a safety early, especially after they potentially just hit on a FS in the fourth, finally allowing us to move amos to what is obviously his natural position, SS.
WR, CB, OT, OLB, ILB (we are starting Timu/Jones this week FFS) in that order before you consider a safety.
Jackson's a maybe and that's about all that's going on there. Amos is steady and versatile and all, but he's also a definite part of the reason this defense hasn't been creating turnovers for 2.25 yrs.
CB I strenuously disagree with. They've got 3 starters and good depth. After they lose 1 in free agency, there's still 2 solid starters with good depth.
ILB?? That's just temporary injuries. Timu started the season on PS and he'll be lucky if that's not where he starts 2018, even without any additions.

wab
Mod

Pretty sure Timu will have played too many games to be eligible for the PS next year.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:

Jackson's a maybe and that's about all that's going on there. Amos is steady and versatile and all, but he's also a definite part of the reason this defense hasn't been creating turnovers for 2.25 yrs.
CB I strenuously disagree with. They've got 3 starters and good depth. After they lose 1 in free agency, there's still 2 solid starters with good depth.
ILB?? That's just temporary injuries. Timu started the season on PS and he'll be lucky if that's not where he starts 2018, even without any additions.
i guess i'm not so rosy about how this year's CB depth chart translates to next year. Cooper is solid and locked up for two more years. Bryce is solid when he's not injured so we can probably count on bringing him back, but maybe never more than as depth. Amuk is here on a one year deal because he's always injured, and... he's always injured. Fuller very well might pull an Alshon and tell us to fuck off, stemming back to Fangio calling him out a bit.

That doesnt look like a settled depth chart to me.

As for ILB, freeman is, while one of our better players, on IR and 31. Trevethan has ended two of his seasons on IR already the only real depth at all is a 4th rounder who's effectively done nothing beyond having a polish last name.
Timu is notable RIGHT NOW because it shows how shitty our ILB depth is.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Pretty sure Timu will have played too many games to be eligible for the PS next year.
It's always confusing, so I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that since he only played 7 as a rookie, he still remains eligible, however many he plays this year.

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote:
wab wrote:Pretty sure Timu will have played too many games to be eligible for the PS next year.
It's always confusing, so I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that since he only played 7 as a rookie, he still remains eligible, however many he plays this year.
You might be right. For some reason I thought he played 8 or 10.
Adipost
MVP

Anybody here like Christian Kirk? He’s fast and shifty, being compared to OBJ. With a guy like Trubisky, i’d value speed/agility in a WR over size.
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:Anybody here like Christian Kirk? He’s fast and shifty, being compared to OBJ. With a guy like Trubisky, i’d value speed/agility in a WR over size.
I do...even though I generally don't like WR's that short. But Cam and Kevin are 6'3 so...

/ramble

Yeah, I like him.