2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:We had a 0 for turnover differential this year. We cannot concede the CB positions simply because Amukamara is a cover guy and Fuller had a great year last year.

We need ballhawks.

Regarding Marcus Peters. That guy was on the board too (along with Gurley and Beasley) when we drafted Kevin White.
Ballhawks, nope!

We had 22 takeaways this season, 15th in the league. Could we improve that? Sure, but the Vikings had 19, 23rd in the league and they were the best defence in points and yards. More interceptions are nice but there are many ways to skin a cat.

Look at it this way. The average interceptions per year of the top 5 players over different time periods (working back from 2017):

1 year (2017), 6.6
2 years, 5
3 years, 4.5
4 years, 4.2
5 years, 3.9
6 years, 3.7
7 years, 3.5

To me this demonstrates that, over any kind of extended period, around 4 interceptions per year is elite. But that elite level is 3 plays a year different to a decidedly non ballhawk like Amukamara who averages 1 interception per season over his 7 year career.

Bottom line, interceptions are a poor statistic to measure how good a CB is.
You can't use any one metric to evaluate any player regardless of position.

Yes play-in play-out coverage is important. Can we at least agree that we need to do better than a guy who hasn't had a pick in three years?

We need to instill a fear in the QB of throwing the ball in a given direction. Nothing does that better than a pick 6. Make him look like shit on SportsCenter and all that social media crap. Turn the tide of the game within five seconds. Right now we don't have that.
malk
Head Coach

I'd be perfectly happy for Amukamara to come back. I'll take the guy who is more likely to stop the reception over the guy who goes for the interception and gives up the reception. CB is a definite need for us right now but if we bring back Fuller and Amukamara I'm happy to concentrate on other areas in the draft.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Looking at the talent for the wr class this year outside of courtland Sutton there is no one I'd take in round 1 and I'd only take him if we trade back.
So I'm thinking the bears are going to draft two but in later rounds. Here's what I've liked from what I've seen granted only highlights.
Jaleel Scott out of new Mexico state
6'6 220 (little light) but makes amazing catches and good to decent burst.
Tre'quan Smith from ucf.
6'1 205 Had good senior bowl and looked to have a good burst and catch radius as well.
Biggest question will be route running and 40 time and scheme fit as well but right now I like those guys for when I think they will pick wr
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RING4CHI wrote:I'm really intrigued by Shaquem Griffin. Obviously there's questions of how his situation would work/hold up in the NFL. But you know he's had to be a hard worker to get to where he's put himself in the position he's in.
Yeah... there's something special about him... he played every defensive down for UCF in that bowl game and was running down plays late in the fourth quarter... he'd prob be in the conversation for high first round if he had both hands...
malk
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:I'm really intrigued by Shaquem Griffin. Obviously there's questions of how his situation would work/hold up in the NFL. But you know he's had to be a hard worker to get to where he's put himself in the position he's in.
Yeah... there's something special about him... he played every defensive down for UCF in that bowl game and was running down plays late in the fourth quarter... he'd prob be in the conversation for high first round if he had both hands...
At age four, his mother found him in the kitchen, attempting to use a butcher's knife to self-amputate his fingers due to the pain.
Jesus Christ!

It'd be a great story for him to make a 53 this year. I'll be looking to see when and where his name gets called.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Brooks and Jeremiah just gave us Denzel Ward in their latest mock. Not sure that I have him in the top 10, but looking for other opinions...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

10 might be a stretch because he’s like 5’9 - 5’10. Even though I like Ward an awful lot, I’d prefer Jackson or Fitzpatrick at corner.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:10 might be a stretch because he’s like 5’9 - 5’10. Even though I like Ward an awful lot, I’d prefer Jackson or Fitzpatrick at corner.
I also prefer Jackson if we go CB. He's got WR hands (was a former WR) and has a knack for making the big play.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Jackson is so freaking smooth in his movements, I think he's going to be a damned good one for a long time.

Edmunds or Jackson at 8 and I'm smiling.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Trey Wingo puts Ward right behind us to the 49ers
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

For me, there are certain positions you target top half of the 1st.

QB
LT
Edge
CB

Now, if there is an "elite" talent at another position obviously you look, but I always look at those positions 1st. With that being said...

We don't need a QB
McGlinchey should be there at 8
Chubb and Landry are the only clean pass rushers I'd take at 8
CB- eh, I'd rather attack in free agency

After that, what elite players at other positions do we look at.
Roquan Smith, Saquan Barkley, the OG Nelson...I don't see anyone else.
wab
Mod

I don't think McGlinchy is a top 10 pick. 15-20, absolutely. He's probably going to have to start out at RT in the NFL until he gets his footwork sorted out. People are also going to wonder how much he was helped by having Nelson next to him.

I also don't see Landry as a top 10 pick. Chubb, sure. Edmunds, probably. Davenport, maybe.

Corner... Jackson, Fitzpatrick, Ward, and possibly even Isaiah Oliver if he blows up the combine or Holton Hill if his off the field stuff checks out.
cblaz11
MVP

IMO...when it's all said and done, Landry will go before Davenport and Edmunds.

McGlinchey is a pretty clean LT prospect...Nelson is good, McGlinchey is better.
BearDown333
Rookie

RustyTrubisky wrote: If our wr depth next season is:
-high draft pick
-meredith
-wright
-white/bellamy/thompson/gentry

i am very happy.
I wouldn't be happy. Counting on a high draft pick to step in and be a WR1 on day 1 is risky. Most need time to develop and adjust to the speed, size, and play in the NFL. The top 3 WRs drafted in 2017 combined for 482 total receiving yards together (ouch). We're still waiting to see if *coughs* Kevin White *coughs* will amount to anything.

In saying this, I am not opposed to drafting a WR in round one if Pace finds "his guy." I just hope that in addition to the draft, Pace signs a top WR in free agency who has already proven they can produce and be relied upon at the NFL level.
G08
Hall of Famer

If we throw a bunch of coin at Jarvis Landry and bring Cameron Meredith back... I don't think I see us taking a WR in the first two rounds.

Remember, we still have Shaheen and Cohen who should be getting a bunch of looks in the passing game. Unless Pace loves someone and is planning on that player to be a hedge against Kevin White getting hurt yet again, I'm not so sure I see him avoiding the OL/Pass rush.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Unless Pace loves someone and is planning on that player to be a hedge against Kevin White getting hurt yet again, I'm not so sure I see him avoiding the OL/Pass rush.
Or corner. Because I’m not sure that either Fuller or Amukamara are back at this point.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:Unless Pace loves someone and is planning on that player to be a hedge against Kevin White getting hurt yet again, I'm not so sure I see him avoiding the OL/Pass rush.
Or corner. Because I’m not sure that either Fuller or Amukamara are back at this point.
Yup great point... Ward should be sitting there and I love Josh Jackson (although 8 could be a bit high).

malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
We have to address corner in free agency. If Fuller and Amukamara walk we'll still sign someone, surely? Quite a few decent CBs kicking around if few elite ones.

Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
Apparently Ward is faster than Lattimore.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
Apparently Ward is faster than Lattimore.

Ward ran a hand-timed 4.31 at a Nike recruiting event in 2014, and allegedly ran a laser-timed 4.23 at OSU spring practice / testing last year.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Ward is also like 5’9
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd like to see him come into the combine around 195 and run. If he's got the requisite arm length and looks well put together, he should be a good one.

I'm hoping he's closer to 5'11" than he is to 5'9".

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

At this point I think Edmunds and Nelson are the top 2 players whom could/should be available at the pick. I am fine with either one as they both have high ceilings and high floors.

The second round pick could also be a very good player. Several WRs and a handful of others.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:At this point I think Edmunds and Nelson are the top 2 players whom could/should be available at the pick. I am fine with either one as they both have high ceilings and high floors.

The second round pick could also be a very good player. Several WRs and a handful of others.
I'm with ya there... if Hiestand tells Pace/Nagy/Helfrich that he thinks Nelson can be a solid RT in the future, do you make him the pick at 8 no matter what?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:if Hiestand tells Pace/Nagy/Helfrich that he thinks Nelson can be a solid RT in the future, do you make him the pick at 8 no matter what?
Yes
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:if Hiestand tells Pace/Nagy/Helfrich that he thinks Nelson can be a solid RT in the future, do you make him the pick at 8 no matter what?
Yes
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cblaz11
MVP

Edmunds is an ok MLB prospect with high bust potential. He is not an edge rusher...
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:Edmunds is an ok MLB prospect with high bust potential. He is not an edge rusher...
Says?

His college stats are similar to Floyd's, who played a similar role at GA.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Yes
i have watched this just way too many times. RIP that poor fuckin blitzer.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Yes
i have watched this just way too many times. RIP that poor fuckin blitzer.
Did he just spot that and decide to take responsibility? Pretty awesome!