2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.
Got examples? My mind is too cluttered with this draft to think back.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.
I mean the biggest one is Mitch. But he said as much when he was hot after Mariota when he was hired.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
He has mentioned it in interviews. Trying to look a draft ahead that is.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I keep looking at this draft, and the roster... and while I do think pass rusher is one of the Bears biggest needs, I don't necessarily think the Bears have to reach for one. I think they will take one - maybe two, but I don't think it has to be at 8. Or even 39.

I say this....because the 2019 draft is LOADED with pass rushers.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Terell Lewis
Josh Allen (the other one)
Shareef Miller
Zach Allen
Anthony Nelson

All potential 1st round picks next year.

And yeah, I get it... you never want to pass on one guy hoping you'll get a guy next year. But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he rolled with what he has at edge, picks a guy or two later in the draft, and then grabs a projected stud next year.
Wow. That's really interesting. It does make you wonder how far ahead Pace is looking.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just don't think I like intentionally leaving holes on your roster, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it makes sense. Probably isn't thinking playoffs or contention this season, huh?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I just don't think I like intentionally leaving holes on your roster, but in the grand scheme of things I guess it makes sense. Probably isn't thinking playoffs or contention this season, huh?
It doesn't make sense. It's hopeing for something that might not happen.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:I keep looking at this draft, and the roster... and while I do think pass rusher is one of the Bears biggest needs, I don't necessarily think the Bears have to reach for one. I think they will take one - maybe two, but I don't think it has to be at 8. Or even 39.

I say this....because the 2019 draft is LOADED with pass rushers.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Brian Burns
Joe Jackson
Terell Lewis
Josh Allen (the other one)
Shareef Miller
Zach Allen
Anthony Nelson

All potential 1st round picks next year.

And yeah, I get it... you never want to pass on one guy hoping you'll get a guy next year. But Pace has proven that he looks to next year (and beyond) when developing his draft strategy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he rolled with what he has at edge, picks a guy or two later in the draft, and then grabs a projected stud next year.
But what are the odds the Bears can land Bosa or Ferrell in next year’s draft?