View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:06 am 
Player of the Month

Next update: After Combine

Round 1: Quenton Nelson - OG, Notre Dame
I think Jordan Morgan will play an Eric Kush-“swing guard” type role next year. With Josh Sitton recently released, the Bears are in the market for a replacement.

Quenton Nelson happens to be the best lineman in the draft. A dominant run blocker, he’s no slouch in the pass game. Putting Nelson with Long, Whitehair, and even Leno would not only be an effective line, but it would put another young body in the lineup. Keeping pressure out of Mitchell's face, and opening lanes for Jordan and Tarik.

Previous pick:Bradley Chubb - DE, North Carolina State

Round 2: Dorance Armstrong - DE, Kansas
Retaining Vic Fangio was an early bright spot this offseason. Vic loves a good edge rusher, and Armstrong is very good. Basically a Leonard Floyd clone, he’s and bendy, long limbed speed rusher. Unlike Floyd, he played base-end in college finishing with 10 sacks and 3 forced fumbles as a sophomore. His sack total dropped to 2, because like Floyd, he wasn’t asked to rush the passer every snap his Junior year.

Only Floyd is under contract next year with Willie Young and Pernell McPhee’s releases. Even if LaMarr Houston is brought back, expect an edge rusher to get a call early in the draft.

Previous pick:Duke Ejiofor - DE, Wake Forest

Round 4: Tyrell Crosby - OT, Oregon
Bobby Massie is in a contract year set to make more than $4 million. Look for the Bears to find a development Tackle. Crosby needs some work, but the Bears are setting up a similar offensive system to the one he’s coming from. Even bringing in his former coach Mark Helfrich as offensive coordinator. He’s very talented, and could possibly be a future starter on either side.

Previous pick: Steve Ishmael - WR, Syracuse

Round 4: Derrick Nnadi - DT, Florida St.
Not a real scheme fit, but he’s a disruptive force. What he lacks in size, he more than makes up for with the work he puts in on and off the field. In the wight room, in practice, his endless motor. He’s strong as an ox, to which his constant double-teams can attest. He’s not going to take over a game, but he has real value as a role-player.

Previous pick:Darius Leonard - ILB South Carolina State

Round 5: J’Mon Moore - WR, Mizzou
I believe Pace and Nagy will go after wide receivers hard in free agency, and possibly a trade or two. With the releases of Freeman, Demps, McPhee, Young, and soon Glennon and Wheaton, that opens up a lot of cap space. So it makes sense to me to look at a guy with a ton of upside late like J’Mon Moore.

He’s been the guy in Missouri for the last 2 years, being Drew Lock’s #1. Big body. Nice speed. Even while amassing 127 catches, 2,094 yards, and 18 TDs in those 2 years, he’s not ready to come in and take over and NFL offense. He needs to learn to get the most out of his size, and polish his routes. There’s also some maturity concerns.

Previous pick:CeCe Jefferson - DE, Florida

Round 6: Jordan Thomas - TE, Mississippi St.
At a physically imposing 6’6” 280lbs, the kid is as green as grass. A community college transfer, he caught just 9 passes as a Junior. Finding a role on the outside as mismatch, his senior season saw 22 catches, 263 yards, and 3 TDs.

There’s a foundation, but there’s a bit of work to be done. His routes need tightened, and he needs to be taught how to use his strength and massive frame to box-out bigger defenders.

He could definitely go undrafted, but a strong combine could sell people on a late pick for him.

Previous pick:Will Richardson - OT, North Carolina State

UDFA
Max Browne QB Pitt
Larry Rose III RB New Mexico State
Thomas Owens WR Florida International
Janarion Grant WR Rutgers
Blake Bone WR Kentucky

Genard Avery ILB Memphis
Kendall Vickers DL Tennessee
DeQuinton Osborne DT OK State
Demetrius Cooper DE Michigan State

Last edited by alexwilkins on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Rookie

My only issue with this is that the offensive line needs to be addressed a bit more in the draft. Sitton getting up there in age, Kush coming off the injury, Grasu is awful, Morgan is a wild card, and Long is an injury concern going forward imo.

I know it's not a sexy pick, but the idea of Quenton Nelson in the first round isn't that bad of an idea to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am 
Head Coach

Yeah IMO we need some ol. I know we IR Morgan but we could probably look to upgrade massie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am 
Mod

Astoundingly, Massie has been our best lineman this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 am 
Hall of Famer

I'm hoping we lose out, secure a top 2 or 3 pick, and fleece some QB-needy team of alllll their draft picks.

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm 
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
I'm hoping we lose out, secure a top 2 or 3 pick, and fleece some QB-needy team of alllll their draft picks.

This would be ideal. Any team have multiple 1s this year that needs a QB?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 pm 
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
G08 wrote:

I believe Buffalo...

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm 
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:
G08 wrote:

I believe Buffalo...

Maybe that's why they played Peterman yesterday? See if they need to start scouting QBs?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm 
Rookie

Buffalo has the #21 and #26 picks in the first round. They also have the #21 and #28 in the second round.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 pm 
Head Coach

Guess it all depends who picks before us and who they draft. I'm assuming 49ers won't go QB. Browns who knows what they'll do.