Christian Kirk Offseason

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

It’s no secret to anyone that the Bears may currently have the worst wide receiver corps in the entire NFL. I believe many people under value how important a position it is for a young QB.

Take Deshaun Watson, for example. He had two elite WR’s lining up on opposite sides of the field, the speed guy (Fuller) and the power guy (Hopkins). The obvious example here is that these guys can get open consistently and that they will catch anything in their vicinity, all of which is true. But maybe the biggest benefit to a young QB is that they keep defenses predictable.

Deshaun Watson is not attacked the same way as Mitchell Trubisky is. Not even close. With Trubisky, defenses deploy a robber in the middle of the field to confuse Trubisky. They disguise coverages frequently. They show zone, but immediately switch to man at the snap of the ball. Safeties charge in to jump routes.

On the other hand, with Hopkins and Fuller on the field, defenses can do none of those things. They know they have to account for these two receivers on every play. And so does Watson. He knows where the safeties will be prior to every snap. This is a massive advantage for a young QB just learning to read defenses.

So without further ado,I present to you my blueprint for fixing the WR position:

X WIDE RECEIVER

Sammy Watkins - Free Agent

The X receiver, or split end, is the WR lined up wide opposite of the TE. In a 3 wr set, he’s usually all alone on his side of the field, the weak side. Because of this, he has to be an exceptional blocker in the running game.

After the 5 offensive lineman and the TE, the X WR is usually the 7th player to lineup directly on the line of scrimmage. Because of this, the CB can easily slow him down or redirect his route by jamming him at the snap of the ball. To consistently break a jam at the LOS, a WR either has to be extremely powerful (Julio Jones), exceptionally slippery (Odell Beckham), or have elite footwork (Antonio Brown). Well, Sammy Watkins has some of all of the above.

Watkins is a physical freak. He’s a physically huge WR with track speed. He’s pretty much the perfect X receiver. He has an incredible first step off the LOS, powerful hands to disengage CB’s and catch passes, and the footwork to break away from coverage.

When healthy, Watkins is unstoppable. Unfortunately, he seems to be injured often. But by no means is he soft. He actually plays through injuries, but he is no where near as effective. This is the sole reason he is going to be able to hit free agency.

I think Ryan Pace will single out going after Sammy Watkins. Why, you might ask. Well, it’s because Sammy Watkins is basically a better version of Kevin White. This might sound like a ridiculous reason, but Pace must have been in love with Kevin White’s skill set to draft him #7 overall. And Watkins was the same type of player coming out of college.

The film on Watkins

New Orleans tried to play press man coverage on Watkins, and it didn’t work very well. The CB here is totally overmatched...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ReasonableImpureIridescentshark

Trying to out physical Sammy Watkins is like a one on one boxing match...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/FriendlyOpenHen

NO tries zone coverage on Watkins with the same result. He cuts through the zone into the soft spot...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/InsistentPlasticGermanspitz

Here the NY Giants CB plays 10 yards off of Watkins. The CB is positioned near the sideline to Watkins left, meaning that he will not let Watkins get to the outside and past him. If Watkins breaks in, the CB has help from the safety Landon Collins. Watkins does break in, triggering the safety to cover him. But Watkins just effortlessly blows by him for a TD...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/AbsoluteEnchantedAustraliancattledog

Watkins is an immovable force...

https://gfycat.com/EnergeticSorrowfulElephant

You are not going to arm tackle Watkins in the open field...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ReadyWhoppingDeviltasmanian

Watkins can win immediately at the snap of the ball...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/SpiffyVengefulGoral

The CB tries to knock Watkins off his route, but Watkins goes through him like a knife through butter...

https://gfycat.com/LeafyInsidiousAmericanbittern

Watkins almost knocks the CB on his ass at the line of scrimmage...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ComfortableMajorFieldspaniel

]Z WIDE RECEIVER

Christian Kirk - 2nd Round

The Z receiver, or flanker, is lined up on the opposite end of the X. He’s usually lined up on the strong side with the TE and/or the slot receiver. He does not have to line up directly on the line of scrimmage, giving him a free release at the snap of the ball. Because of this, you could put smaller WR’s at this position. This is where the speed burners go that can run a variety of routes on the inside or out.

Christian Kirk is an absolute burner. Used as a decoy often because he commands 3 defenders at times, he can stretch the entire field. And he’s a big and strong dude weighing over 200 lbs at only 5’11. What this does is opens up the entire middle of the field for your RB to run through, or for your TE/Slot receiver to rack up yards after the catch.

With a safety over the top to prevent the big play, this makes Trubisky’s life a whole lot easier. He can trust his eyes rather than question exotic coverages.

The film on Kirk

SLOT RECIEVER

Cameron Meredith

The slot receiver is usually a small and quick player that specifically works the middle of the field. He does not have the straight line speed of the outside receivers, but he possesses the needed agility and change of direction to run zig zag routes in between the linebackers and safeties.

In 2006, the New Orleans Saints drafted a 6-4 220 lb wide receiver in the 7th round by the name of Marques Colston. He was projected to go undrafted, but the Saints picked him up with the fourth from last pick in the entire draft.

Now, besides being a big target and having good hands, nothing really jumped out at you aboot Colston. He barely made the roster his rookie year, and he was thrust into the first game of the season due to injuries.

If the Saints used Colston as a conventional WR, odds are people would forget his name after a couple of seasons. But the Saints decided to play him in the slot, where his particular skill set melded perfectly and he became a massive miss match every time he was on the field.

Whenever Drew Brees needed a critical first down, Marques Colston got the ball. He was too quick for the linebackers, and too big for the nickel corners. He could go up and catch balls down the middle of the field in traffic. He was never flashy, I don’t even think he ever made a single pro bowl. But he became the greatest Saints WR of all time, breaking every single record.

In the beginning of the 2016 season, the Bears were trying to feel out where they should play Meredith. They put him primarily on the outside at first, only putting him in the slot occasionally. But every time he was lined up at slot, it seemed as though Meredith was making a play. Then Alshon was suspended, and Meredith really struggled as a primary outside threat. After a couple of games outside, the Bears made the decision to make the 6-3 220 lb Meredith primarily a slot receiver.

From then on, Meredith absolutely dominated entire games. And it even showed in the in depth analytics. According to Next Gen Stats, when lined up outside Meredith graded out as one of the worst receivers in the league as far as separation from the defensive back. But at the slot, Meredith was at the top of the list with all the elite slot receivers.

When I watch Cameron Meredith, I see Marques Colston and maybe even a little more. The combination routes and double move change of direction routes that I watched him run were absolutely remarkable for a man his size. A linebacker cannot keep up with him, no chance. A nickel back is just too small, Meredith just manhandles them. And safeties are just not quick enough to stay with him.

I think Meredith in the slot could become the biggest weapon in the Bears offense next season. Add in Shaheen, and defenses will be pissing their pants.

The film on Meredith

Meredith can break out of his routes with absolute precision...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ScrawnySeveralLeafwing

Here is Meredith showing off his exceptional hands...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/FrequentAnimatedLark

This is a beautiful combination route. Meredith weaves through the middle of the field and then cuts into the corner of the end zone. Barkley threw this ball before the break...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/JovialRadiantIbadanmalimbe

Here Meredith immediately finds the soft spot of the zone in between 3 defenders...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/WhiteAlienatedAntipodesgreenparakeet

The defensive back thinks he can stay with Meredith in a back peddle until he gets absolutely torched...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/TartDownrightCrocodileskink

Meredith fools the CB so badly that he creates a 10 yard cushion for himself...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PoshAgonizingHeron

This is simply unfair. Meredith fakes in, then out, then in again, and finally breaks out and embarrasses the DB...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ForsakenElegantAlleycat

This is just an incredible double move by a 6-3 210 lb slot receiver...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/GoodnaturedLargeCats

I’d like to specifically highlight this play because I don’t see any current Bear receivers doing this. Meredith’s route here is to cut out to the sideline. As he makes his break, he peaks at the pocket and notices that the play has been disrupted. So he immediately abandons the play and changes direction, leaving him completely wide open in the middle of the field. It takes a while for Cutler to find him of course, but he eventually gets it there...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/AdmirableHideousFulmar

BENCH

Dontrelle Inman - Inman is a legitimate starting caliber wide receiver. With the Chargers and Bears, he has now shown that he is capable of playing all the wide receiver positions. He could spell Kirk while he’s developing his rookie year or go in the place of Watkins due to injury. Also, the presence of Inman keeps Meredith in the slot where he belongs.

Kendall Wright or rookie mid round pick - I’d probably go with another draft pick here, but Wright is solid.

Kevin White - White is basically a lottery ticket at this point.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If Watkins is available (ie the Rams let him walk), then I don't want him as he's been a shadow of the guy who the Bills once depended on. If he's really returned to form, I don't see the Rams letting him walk, and he has to feel good about what they're building down there.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Woke up thinking I should rub one out ... didn't think it would be to this thread!

Love the Watkins angle, Adi... he's young with upside and really I think he could be a mentor to Kevin White as to the nuances of playing the WR position. I'm of the opinion that playing WR is an art... not everyone runs an out route the same way. Sure, there is depth of the route, etc, but you need to be able to hide what route you are running until the very last instant, sprinkle in a fake that makes the defender think you are running something else, etc.

Rams' fans have wondered about Watkins' "lack" of production in McVay's offense... after talking to some of them I'm of the opinion that Watkins doesn't do a good job of making quick adjustments off the LOS depending on what the coverage is doing. That is paramount to what McVay is running up in St. Louis... I'd love to see them let him go, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:If Watkins is available (ie the Rams let him walk), then I don't want him as he's been a shadow of the guy who the Bills once depended on. If he's really returned to form, I don't see the Rams letting him walk, and he has to feel good about what they're building down there.

yeah, i'm basically feeling the same way. the rams traded a second rounder for watkins. if they let him walk after one season that's such a huge red flag. dude has chronic foot problems. bills were happy to jettison him despite having a wr corps that basically rivals our own for crappiness.

signing him seems like the kind of move that would get pace murdered by the fans the second that foot injury flares back up, or he doesnt produce instantly and the offense struggles.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

* Yeah, I don't think you can have an injury-crushed team for 2 yrs, let a former superstar WR go because of health issues, then sign on an expensive WR with serious health issues.

* I like Kirk. I think R2, not R1, is definitely where they should look, if they want to draft one. I'm not sure the Bears need to (or can afford to) bring in 2 new WRs for next year, though.
FA Star, Inman, Cam, White + Wright/Bellamy/whatever for depth is a solid group, as long as they feel good about Cam's recovery.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Adi does make a good point about cam's effectiveness in the slot and how keeping him there would continue our whole "mimic the saint's offense to the point of it starting to be creepy stalker territory" theory. and having a bigger body in at slot is alot easier when you've got a speedier guy like tarik cohen who has a few routes that he can run from multiple spots.
Moriarty wrote: FA Star, Inman, Cam, White + Wright/Bellamy/whatever for depth is a solid group, as long as they feel good about Cam's recovery.
my thinking as well. i dont see us making a big splash in FA at WR and going WR super early. it's probably either/or.
Adipost
MVP

Moriarty wrote:* Yeah, I don't think you can have an injury-crushed team for 2 yrs, let a former superstar WR go because of health issues, then sign on an expensive WR with serious health issues.

* I like Kirk. I think R2, not R1, is definitely where they should look, if they want to draft one. I'm not sure the Bears need to (or can afford to) bring in 2 new WRs for next year, though.
FA Star, Inman, Cam, White + Wright/Bellamy/whatever for depth is a solid group, as long as they feel good about Cam's recovery.
I don’t think Pace let Alshon go. I think Alshon wanted to leave.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Alshon clearly wanted to leave, and I don't blame him one bit.

The Watkins route might not be my favorite but I understand the thought process and wouldn't be disheartened.

I to think you add a FA and a draft pick, I just don't think it will/should be a 1-2nd rounder depending of course on the FA.

Deebo Samuel is a guy I like.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Moriarty wrote:* Yeah, I don't think you can have an injury-crushed team for 2 yrs, let a former superstar WR go because of health issues, then sign on an expensive WR with serious health issues.

I don’t think Pace let Alshon go. I think Alshon wanted to leave.
I think the top reason he wanted to leave is that the Bears didn't want to commit to him & tagged him.
And players 'want to leave' but don't all the time, when the wheelbarrow of money shows up (like Lance Briggs swearing he'd never sign another contract to play in Chicago again).
And the Bears could have tagged Alshon a second time (or pressured him into a longer contract with the threat of another tag), but chose not to.
They just didn't want him back that strongly (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that stance).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i am 100% happy handing the #2 wr job to dontrelle. we still desperately need a #1, and that's no small thing obviously.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I would make a play for Allen Robinson in FA. He won't be as expensive coming off an ACL injury - yes, I know it's a risk. But honestly, when healthy - he's a true #1 IMO. He might be worth the risk.

Robinson, Meredith, Inman, White, Wright would be fine...maybe add a speedster in the draft at some point.
Never Die Easy