Chicago Bears Team Needs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Offense:
WR - I'm of the opinion that the Bears will be "OK" moving forward at WR and they will try and land a fairly big fish in FA that can immediately help Mitch Trubisky rather than try and wait for a rookie to develop. Meredith should be back, as well as Inman. They should count on White for nothing, but he's still there. So is Wheaton who needs to be better next year.

They should absolutely draft a guy, but as of right now I don't see a top 10 prospect out there. I'd look in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Top 5 FA Targets:
Jarvis Landry
Allen Robinson
Sammy Watkins
DeVante Adams
Paul Richardson

Top 5 Draft Targets:
Courtland Sutton, SMU
Calvin Ridley, Alabama
James Washington, OK State
Anthony Miller, Memphis
Christian Kirk, Texas A&M

OL - Injuries to Sitton and Long have cause inconsistency along the offensive line and I legitimately wonder how much Long has left. He'll be 29 tomorrow, and even though guards can play well into their 30's, he's seen an awful lot of injuries pile up on him the last two years.

The Bears have Jordan Morgan stashed away on IR as a developmental prospect, but they need another interior guy. They also have a decision to make at RT. Massie has quietly had a decent year, but is he worth what he's getting paid? I'd almost rather have Compton back as his replacement. A young swing tackle wouldn't hurt either.

It's not a great FA/Draft but there are guys out there like Marcus Martin, Ryan Jensen, and James Hurst. Some guys to look at outside of round one in the draft are Billy Price, Frank Ragnow, and Lester Cotton on the interior as well as David Bright, Martez Ivey, and Mitch Hyatt on the outside.

Defense:

CB - Currently the Bears starting corners are playing well, but they could all be playing well elsewhere next season. Amukamara, Fuller, and Callahan are FA's. So is ST ace Sherrick McManis. That leaves Cooper, LeBlanc, and Hall as the only players under contract next season. It's reasonable to assume that at least one of Amukamara or Fuller will be back, and very likely both. The Bears have put together a surprisingly talented secondary so it would be a shame to start over.

FA Targets: IMO, Fuller and Amukamara should be the Bears top FA targets.

Draft Targets:
Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
Denzel Ward, Ohio State
Jaire Alexander, Louisville
Josh Jackson, Iowa
Tarvarus McFadden, FSU

OLB - This is assuming the next DC stays with the 3-4, which I assume they will. Floyd has been good, but still shows he needs to get bigger and stronger. And he needs to spend less time in coverage. McPhee, Young, and Houston will all likely be sent on their way after the season leaving a pretty big hole in the roster. Sam Acho plays hard and all, so there is probably a spot of the team for him. Howard Jones and Isaiah Irving are interesting young guys, but need to develop.

FA Targets:
DeMarcus Lawrence
Chris McCain
Shaq Barrett
Marcus Smith
Aaron Lynch

Draft Targets:
Arden Key, LSU
Austin Bryant, Clemson
Harold Landry, Boston College
Josh Sweat, FSU
Sam Hubbard, Ohio State
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think we've also got to consider OT. I know we signed Leno to a long term deal but Massie is replaceable and can be upgraded. Also our OT depth is pretty abysmal IMO, so an influx of talent there is needed.
Never Die Easy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

OT, OG, WR, OLB, ILB, CB. Can pretty much put emphasis on any position as top need.
Adipost
MVP

Wait, so you’re keeping Wheaton?

Although, I must admit, Wheaton could be just a victim of the incompetent coaching staff. John Fox refuses to play him for whatever reason.
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:Wait, so you’re keeping Wheaton?

Although, I must admit, Wheaton could be just a victim of the incompetent coaching staff. John Fox refuses to play him for whatever reason.
He’s under contract. So yeah, for the moment.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

1a) OT
1b) edge
2) WR
3) CB

One of the top two in Round 1.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I'd say:
Edge
OL
WR
CB (this is assuming they resign Fuller/Amukamara...if not, this goes to the top)
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
Adipost wrote:Wait, so you’re keeping Wheaton?

He’s under contract. So yeah, for the moment.
Contracts are meaningless in the NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

1: Head coach & coordinators that are not conservative, stubborn, and backwards

2: Complete re-evaluation & replacement of team nutrition, team facilities, physical wellness, training staff, and injury prevention

3. Two starting WRs that would be legit starting WRs on any other team in the NFL; not WRs that are good by Bears standards

4. New starters at LT/RT

5. Pass rush from anywhere, EDGE, LB, etc. Just get pass rushers and fucking rush them like madmen
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'm super confused at the idea of drafting an OT in the first. Ryan Pace repeatedly said, when we gave Leno his big contract, that he loved the dude. Everybody in the locker room loves Leno. It's not cheap to cut him next year.

Are we drafting an LT anyway, or are we taking a RT in the first?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'd say:
Edge
OL
WR
CB (this is assuming they resign Fuller/Amukamara...if not, this goes to the top)
I'm with you here, although I would flip OL and WR... Leno's here for a while and Massie hasn't been terrible thus far.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

Moving this from another thread.

The defence isn't that far away. Even with all the injuries we're 14th in points allowed and 14th per Football Outsiders. If we resign Fuller we need another pass rusher and corner to have a very good starting 11 plus the depth is getting better. Injuries can always derail this but there's not that much that can be done about that but as I said before, even with the injuries, and the crap offence for that matter, we're still 14th so there's definite signs of promise.

Offence is a whole lot messier at first glance but if you look hard, and perhaps optimistically, there's some hope. Trubisky has done enough for me to keep the faith. The receivers have been awful but that doesn't necessarily mean they're all bad. A #4 receiver forced to be a #1 is a bad one but can still be a decent #4. Big ifs but Meredith and Inman being signed next year gives us options at #2/3 or #3/4 at worst. We absolutely need to get a #1 in free agency though and whilst there are options it isn't a hugely strong class.

We're set at running back but the line is a worry with continued injuries. I haven't looked yet but if the right player is out there I'd be very tempted to target centre in the draft and look for Whitehair to get more reps at guard. It's good cover for Long and Sitton plus I don't particularly like him at centre anyway. If healthy (broken record!) we have have a good unit but that absolutely can't be relied on. That said it wouldn't be ridiculous to hope we don't have to dig quite as far down the depth chart as this year.

At TE Shaheen has looked promising if underutilised. Simms unfortunately has confirmed my raised eyebrows at his signing.

Anyway...

Resign Fuller, Inman and Meredith (plus depth we like).
Draft me a pass rusher in the first round.
Sign a corner, preferably better than Amukamara.
Sign a #1 receiver. Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Jarvis Landry. There are players out there, all with a few question marks, sadly a lot health related(!) but we can and will make a bit of a splash.
Sign the best backup guard we can if that isn't Kush or someone similar.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Edge
OL
WR
I'm with you here, although I would flip OL and WR... Leno's here for a while and Massie hasn't been terrible thus far.
I was leaning more towards depth on the interior and a swing tackle to push Massie. I think WR will be addressed in FA because the Bears need a guy that can help now.
wab
Mod

malk wrote:Resign Fuller, Inman and Meredith (plus depth we like).
Sign a #1 receiver. Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Jarvis Landry. There are players out there, all with a few question marks, sadly a lot health related(!) but we can and will make a bit of a splash.
I don't think Amukamara is getting enough credit. He's one of the reasons that Fuller is having a nice year. Teams just aren't throwing at Amukamara. Like, at all.

Outside of another pass rusher and maybe depth at DE, I don't see a much wrong with the defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Edge
OL
WR
I was leaning more towards depth on the interior and a swing tackle to push Massie. I think WR will be addressed in FA because the Bears need a guy that can help now.
Thoughts on Donte Moncrief?

X - Moncrief
Z - Inman
F - Meredith

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I don't think Amukamara is getting enough credit. He's one of the reasons that Fuller is having a nice year. Teams just aren't throwing at Amukamara. Like, at all.

Outside of another pass rusher and maybe depth at DE, I don't see a much wrong with the defense.
He's a little too grabby for my taste... gets flagged for PI more than I like to see.

malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:

True, I just can't get over how salty I am about missing out on Bouye! I think that miss and not taking Weddle in the draft are the two biggest personnel annoyances I've had.

@G08. I listed Moncrief, he's a bit of a projection but now could be a good time to buy (relatively) low. My first choice would be finding a way to get both Allen and Landry but that might be pie in the sky.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
wab wrote:

True, I just can't get over how salty I am about missing out on Bouye! I think that miss and not taking Weddle in the draft are the two biggest personnel annoyances I've had.

@G08. I listed Moncrief, he's a bit of a projection but now could be a good time to buy (relatively) low. My first choice would be finding a way to get both Allen and Landry but that might be pie in the sky.
I love Allen Robinson, but with Kevin White's injury history and Meredith coming off torn knee ligaments, how can Pace justify signing a dude that's coming off a torn ACL?

Landry is interesting but I heard he's a selfish asshole, not sure Pace would welcome that character here.

Gaytoe
Journeyman

wab wrote:

My biggest concern about Amukamara is that has had only one season where he played every game. Add in that he will be 29 next year I would be worried about how much we give him. As long as we can be out of it in 2 years with minimum penalty I'm all for it.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

yup, get some more consistent pressure and this becomes a legit defense.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:
wab wrote:

I love Allen Robinson, but with Kevin White's injury history and Meredith coming off torn knee ligaments, how can Pace justify signing a dude that's coming off a torn ACL?

Landry is interesting but I heard he's a selfish asshole, not sure Pace would welcome that character here.
We can't write off anyone with a question mark. You do your due diligence and make the best decision. If Pace is second guessing his moves we've already lost.

On Landry, it's his catch percentage (something I also love about Meredith). 69% for his career, that's pretty damn good! Perhaps he is too similar to Meredith, does he line up outside for the Dolphins? Can he play the Z?

Maybe that's where the draft comes in. Basically Adi's plan to sign the X in free agency, resign Inman as the Z and Meredith as the slot. There are injury flags on the Xs too though...

But the bottom line is we need to improve and we can't black flag anyone any injury or character concerns. He's not Ray McDonald so I'm not massively concerned about a wideout being selfish if he's productive. Due diligence as above I guess.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

#1 need - coach
#2 need - coach
#3 on - playmakers on offense esp WR.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:
wab wrote:

There is video of him shoving his wife/girlfriend into a car.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
malk wrote:
wab wrote:

There is video of him shoving his wife/girlfriend into a car.
Aaand I'm out.

wab
Mod

Yeah, there's a reason no one bit on Landry when the trade deadline came around.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Q3 updates

Position….Rounds…………………..Comment
1) WR..….1-2…………………..A wreck, need at least 1 high-end addition, possibly 2
2) OLB….1-2……………………Age, injury, and expense problems, all in one
3) ILB……4-5……………………Freeman is probably done, Jones a FA who may be better outside
4) CB……1-2…………………….Might having trouble re-signing both and they won’t even play Cooper on passing downs now
5) OT……1-2……………………both mediocre at best, but can’t dump Leno until 2019
6) QB….…4-6……………………Will need a new 3 and it’s a good QB year
7) K……….5-6……………………Santos might or might not be a solution
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.