2018 NFL Draft // Rolling Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

EricTighe wrote:That's what I mean what character flaw. Because he checked himself into rehab before even being caught? That actually sounds like a good character to me.

It's more then rehab. The guy played at 270, then showed go up at 240. He apparently was very erratic during interviews...the guys got some demons.

Also, I don't think he's very good at football.
cblaz11
MVP

Harold Landry guys...everyone is saying 2nd rd, Id be shocked if he gets out of top 15.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think with 3 major holes to fill, and only 2 picks to get it done, we trade back.

depending on how far we go, one of the D linemen should be there in the first, O-line in the second, LB/edge with whatever we get to trade back (another 2nd or 3rd).

Vea or Payne could be there and that makes me happy.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:Harold Landry guys...everyone is saying 2nd rd, Id be shocked if he gets out of top 15.
We should just convert Ben Braunecker into an OLB... very similar physically to your boy!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Pre-combine I was for a WR in the first. Now, I want Nelson (G). I am hoping DJ Moore (WR) is still there for the Bears in round 2.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:Pre-combine I was for a WR in the first. Now, I want Nelson (G). I am hoping DJ Moore (WR) is still there for the Bears in round 2.
I like DJ Moore a ton, but I don't think we are taking a WR unless some stud is available in round 4.

Gun to my head, our first 4 picks will be some combination of:

OLB/EDGE (pass rusher)
OG
Swing Tackle
ILB

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BR0D1E86
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Mostly we share opinions about who the Bears SHOULD draft. But that's NOT the question here, which is to get into the mind of Ryan Pace and state what he actually WILL do.
QB is off the table.
The holes that Pace patched with multiple year deals in free agency — WR/TE and CB — are out.

That leaves OL (specifically G, but possibly T too) — of whom the only player who fits at the top of the draft is Quenton Nelson — ILB (specifically the spot that was manned effectively by Jerrell Freeman for about a dozen games) — think Patrick Willis or Navorro Bowman-level athletes — and edge rusher (healthy Pernell McPhee version) — who Vic Fangio wants to be long-limbed as well as athletic (which means no Harold Landry).

If Chubb is available at #8 (he shouldn't be), he is the choice.
If Chubb is gone but Nelson is available (he shouldn't be either), he is the choice.
If both are gone, I think the Bears would prefer to land their Patrick Willis. Athletically that's Tremaine Edmunds; instinct-wise it's Roquan Smith. Since they can't fuse the two, I think it's neither. I think they take Marcus Davenport and hope he's their version of Aldon Smith (on-field only).
I could live with Davenport, but I’d prefer to trade down to get him. I doubt there’s much of a trade market unless one of the four quarterbacks falls to us though.
BR0D1E86
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:Harold Landry guys...everyone is saying 2nd rd, Id be shocked if he gets out of top 15.
He’s not going to last until the second. 20 would shock me.
cblaz11
MVP

If he goes before 20 you'd be shocked or after?
BR0D1E86
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:If he goes before 20 you'd be shocked or after?
I would be shocked if he went later.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Somebody has to come back to it...

Calvin Ridley

;) :lol:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Here is what the experts say, according to ChicagoBears.com.

I'd love to know if Mayer put out a similar article last year. Quenton Nelson aside, I'd be willing to bet the guy the Bears want isn't part of this collection.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm.
Umbali
MVP

I think he takes Davenport, even if its a trade back. He tends to value high ceilings. Personally I wouldnt like that pick.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
staleystarch wrote:Pre-combine I was for a WR in the first. Now, I want Nelson (G). I am hoping DJ Moore (WR) is still there for the Bears in round 2.
I like DJ Moore a ton, but I don't think we are taking a WR unless some stud is available in round 4.

Gun to my head, our first 4 picks will be some combination of:

OLB/EDGE (pass rusher)
OG
Swing Tackle
ILB
Thinking similar..unless trades and order moves our options..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Mostly we share opinions about who the Bears SHOULD draft. But that's NOT the question here, which is to get into the mind of Ryan Pace and state what he actually WILL do.

Let's play this like a wager--even though it isn't. Every participant has an imaginary $100 wagered on the outcome, the total of which will be divided up by all correct guessers. Note that making a less popular choice can result in a much bigger bounty.

Make your guess and argue why you think that's who Pace will take. And as always, you can change your answer up until the draft begins.

And just so you know, if you argue in this thread who Pace SHOULD select, then you will deservedly be publicly flogged for not following directions. Besides, there are other places to discuss that. :D
If Nelson is on the board they will draft him. Its going to seriously piss me off though. Yeah OK fine he's the best guard prospect in the history of the game or whatever. I hear crap like that every year about some prospect. You can get good OLs further into the draft. They have his coach from Notre Dame and I think that's a contributing factor here. The new HC also has a background in offense.

Sitton got cut. Long is overrated and perpetually injured. Our interior OL could be a disaster. We have a potential franchise QB in year 2 with a new host of weapons. What's the point of having those WRs if he's under pressure constantly?

If Nelson is off the board by 8 and/or the Bears can't trade up to get him, I believe they'll draft an edge rusher / LB. Davenport, Landry or Edmunds. That's the other obvious need.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:
If Nelson is on the board they will draft him. Its going to seriously piss me off though. Yeah OK fine he's the best guard prospect in the history of the game or whatever. I hear crap like that every year about some prospect. You can get good OLs further into the draft. They have his coach from Notre Dame and I think that's a contributing factor here. The new HC also has a background in offense.

Sitton got cut. Long is overrated and perpetually injured. Our interior OL could be a disaster. We have a potential franchise QB in year 2 with a new host of weapons. What's the point of having those WRs if he's under pressure constantly?
These two statements are contradictory, if not plain ol' confusing.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I'm not seeing the contradiction. What am I missing?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

He says it will piss him off if Nelson is the pick but then goes on to say that the interior of the OL is a disaster.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

He says it will piss him off if Nelson is the pick but then goes on to say that the interior of the OL is a disaster.
Ahhh. That makes sense. He just wants the fix to come later.

G08
Hall of Famer

I just don't get it, man. I don't care that someone like Greg Gabriel says that Nelson is the best/most polished guard he has ever seen in the past 37 years. He's a guard -- a fucking guard.

Look at these names of interior offensive linemen that could be there for us at pick #39:

James Daniels
Isaiah Wynn
Billy Price
Austin Corbett
Braden Smith
Frank Ragnow

I find it hard to believe that our O-line guru can't coach up one of these kids to be a solid NFL starter. Pro Bowl OGs don't win you games. Hall of Fame OGs don't win you games.

I look at these 2nd tier pass rushers and I want to puke:

Arden Key - injury history, character concerns depending upon who you ask, opiate addiction in past
Sam Hubbard - he's the white version of Sam Acho
Lorenzo Carter - weak
Josh Sweat - I like him but does he have clean medicals?
Dorance Armstrong - intriguing, I just wish he had more juice to his game (looks lethargic on "tape" to me)

We need a homerun at pick #8 and if you can pair Leonard Floyd with another pass rusher that keeps OCs up at night, it would greatly help our defense go from top 10 to top 5 IMO.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I just don't get it, man. I don't care that someone like Greg Gabriel says that Nelson is the best/most polished guard he has ever seen in the past 37 years. He's a guard -- a fucking guard.

Look at these names of interior offensive linemen that could be there for us at pick #39:

James Daniels
Isaiah Wynn
Billy Price
Austin Corbett
Braden Smith
Frank Ragnow

I find it hard to believe that our O-line guru can't coach up one of these kids to be a solid NFL starter. Pro Bowl OGs don't win you games. Hall of Fame OGs don't win you games.

Arden Key - injury history, character concerns depending upon who you ask, opiate addiction in past
Lorenzo Carter - weak
Dorance Armstrong - intriguing, I just wish he had more juice to his game (looks lethargic on "tape" to me)

We need a homerun at pick #8 and if you can pair Leonard Floyd with another pass rusher that keeps OCs up at night, it would greatly help our defense go from top 10 to top 5 IMO.
You beautifully elaborated on exactly what I was trying to say here in my discussion of Nelson. Thank you! :)

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:I just don't get it, man. I don't care that someone like Greg Gabriel says that Nelson is the best/most polished guard he has ever seen in the past 37 years. He's a guard -- a fucking guard.

James Daniels
Isaiah Wynn
Billy Price
Austin Corbett
Braden Smith
Frank Ragnow

Lorenzo Carter - weak

:rofl:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

Ahhh. That makes sense. He just wants the fix to come later.
Yep. Go ahead and draft OL in rounds 2,4, or 5. There's no need to do so at #8 overall.
Z Bear
MVP

G08 wrote:We need a homerun at pick #8 and if you can pair Leonard Floyd with another pass rusher that keeps OCs up at night, it would greatly help our defense go from top 10 to top 5 IMO.
Out of curiosity, do you think any of the Edge rushers are worthy of being picked at 8? I really don't. Edmunds is worthy of #8 to me, but at ILB. No one knows if he will be an effective edge rusher as he has not done it. Davenport I think may turn into something and gives a little power to Floyd's finesse, but is he worthy of 8? If the Bears are dead set on getting an edge in round 1, their top priority should be trying to trade down.
Last edited by Z Bear on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:We need a homerun at pick #8 and if you can pair Leonard Floyd with another pass rusher that keeps OCs up at night, it would greatly help our defense go from top 10 to top 5 IMO.
Out of curiosity, do you think any of the Edge rushers are worthy of being picked at 8? I really don't. Edmunds is worthy of #8 to me, but at ILB. No one knows if we will be an effective edge rusher as he has not done it. Davenport I think may turn into something and gives a little power to Floyd's finesse, but is he worthy of 8? If the Bears are dead set on getting an edge in round 1, their top priority should be trying to trade down.
That's what I'm struggling with, man. I don't think Davenport is a top 8 player in this draft, but I also don't believe in drafting OGs in the top 10. Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James are all solid players, Denzel Ward too, but we don't need any of them right now.

Smith and Emunds will kick either Kwiatkoski or Treavathan to the bench, or they will be depth, which doesn't make sense to me.

Fitzpatrick, James, Ward I guess could play nickel for us but that means 30% of the time they won't be on the field. Or it means you take Amos and put him on the bench. That doesn't make sense to me.

Pass rusher is a premium position so that, to me, takes a talent like Davenport and bumps him up a little bit. Should it? I don't know, probably not, but it does make me feel better that Daniel Jeremiah and Gil Brandt list him as 12th on each of their big boards.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

So Nagy just said that you can never have enough WR's and guys are reading into that saying WR is the pick at #8.

Now we are back to Calvin Ridley as the speculated Bears pick at #8
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1 Cleveland
QB Darnold. Even if there are 4-5 1st rounders available and one of them will still be there at 4, QB is simply too important not to take your top choice. I don't have 4 I like equally well, and I can't believe CLE does either.
2 NY Giants
QB Rosen. I think the hard pushing of "interest in Barkley" is a bluff to try and get CLE to take him at 1 and leave NY their choice of QB. Who telegraphs their real intentions that loudly? If it's not a bluff, they're out of their minds for not taking care of QB when they've got the 2nd pick.
3 NY Jets
QB Mayfield. Allen and Mayfield have been strongly linked. I don't like either's value here, but the trade up had to be for a QB, and Mayfield is the rumor I'm more inclined to believe.
4 Cleveland
HB Barkley. If they stay calm and NY isn't insane, this should work out.
5 Denver
QB Allen. After missing on QB so many times, the most bust-prone of the top QBs probably isn't your favorite idea. With all the $$$ they gave Keenum, I think they see what he can do before committing to something else.
I'm totally undecided what happens instead, though.

pause
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Middleguard
MVP

I'm really hoping that Nelson is there at 8 but the Bears pass him by. I'm sure Pace knows he will be a great pro player, but I'm hoping Pace also knows something we don't and takes a defensive player that he believes will make more of a difference for the team.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think if Nelson is gone, Bears surprise and draft Harold Landry at 8. Will be considered a reach but fills a huge need. That's my prediction.
Never Die Easy