WAB Mock Draft - Playoff Edition

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:wabster I read some rumors that Fitzpatrick may not be a top 10 pick, my question to you sir:

If Minkah Fitzpatrick is available for us at #8, do you take him over Quenton Nelson?

Truth be told, if Fangio stick around, I think Roquan Smith might be the pick...
If one or both of Amukamara or Fuller aren't gone, then Yes. I take Fitzpatrick (or Ward) over Nelson. As far as Smith goes, I wouldn't be upset at all if they took him, but I don't think he's a great fit if Fangio stays.
Adipost
MVP

OG in the top 10?

G08
Hall of Famer

For me, in no particular order:

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quenton Nelson

Clellin Ferrell

Roquan Smith

Joshua Jackson
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:For me, in no particular order:

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quenton Nelson

Clellin Ferrell

Roquan Smith

Joshua Jackson
Yeah, my feelings are very similar. It really depends on if teams see Fitz as a safety or as a corner (I think he's a corner).
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:For me, in no particular order:

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Quenton Nelson

Clellin Ferrell

Roquan Smith

Joshua Jackson
Yeah, my feelings are very similar. It really depends on if teams see Fitz as a safety or as a corner (I think he's a corner).
My love for him grows exponentially if Mike Pettine becomes our defensive coordinator. That kid will be errrrrrywhere.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

If both Amukamara and Fuller are back, does that change your want for Fitzpatrick?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If both Amukamara and Fuller are back, does that change your want for Fitzpatrick?
It does... but I think Pace wants to get younger and more athletic. I think he over-pays Fuller due to his youth and progress and, I dunno, if he DOES bring Amukamara back it won't be for more than a 2-3 year deal so it could buy him time to find another young corner in the draft.

RunningVaccs
Rookie

Color me as fine with an OG (who might be able to play tackle) at our pick.

If you look at trends, OL play across the league is getting a LOT worse, adn I think that drafting OL talent is the only way to stay ahead of that curve. Would be fine with Williams, McGlinchely here as well. Chubb still my favorite. I dig Minkah, but he's for sure a position of lower need, as well as there being a question of what system we'll be running and will he fit?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:I would prefer they draft either James, Ferrell, McFadden or Smith in that scenario.

Guard can be addressed in later rounds or in FA.
Not one as good as Nelson.
You can make that argument about any number of positions / players.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I love Nelson and would be fine with him st 8. I don’t care that he plays Guard, he can be a key cog on the line for 10 years along with Whitehair playing at pro bowl level.

Long and Sitton may or may not play next season. The OT class is a little overrated IMO. So grabbing as close to a sure thing is preferable for me.
Never Die Easy
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

For the longest time I was thinking the clear cut first round need was wide receiver. But the more I think about it, the more I don't want the Bears taking a receiver in the first round. I'd rather them go offensive line or edge rusher in the first, then take a receiver in the second and another again in the fifth round.

No team can have enough receivers. Teams like the Steelers, Giants and Texans have spent first or second day picks on receivers in the last two years despite having top tier guys at the position already on their roster.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

This is not the year to take a WR in the 1st round. None of the top WR's in this class are worth the 8th pick in the 1st round. Bears luck in drafting WR's in the 1st round hasn't been the greatest in recent years with White and going back with David Terrell in 2001. At least White and Terrell were highly touted and there was almost some justification for taking them that high, but honestly as a GM - Pace should never draft a WR in the 1st round again because there are more pressing needs at more important positions to address. OL or Edge Rusher (leaning more towards Edge Rusher) has to be the 1st pick. R2 can be WR...but R1 go with the value of the talent that's available.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is a great year to take a defensive player at #8 given how the first 7 picks are expected to go.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This is strictly based on current draft order, not where I think teams in the playoffs will finish. I also don't think it's fair to mock trades this early. I'll wait until the final order is set, coaches and FO types are hired, and until after prospects have declared.

1. Browns Josh Rosen QB UCLA
I don’t know if Rosen wants to play for the Browns, but the Browns need a guy that can play right away.

2. Giants Sam Darnold QB Southern California
Ideally Darnold sits behind Eli for a year or two.

3. Colts Bradley Chubb DE NC State
This team is kind of a mess. They need to fix both the offensive and defensive lines.

4. Browns f/HOU Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
Duke Johnson has lobbied for a move to WR, and let’s not sit here and act like Isaiah Crowell is above being replaced.

5. Broncos Josh Allen QB Wyoming
The Broncos are a pretty good potential landing spot for a FA QB, but if they decide to go the rookie route, Allen checks all the boxes physically.

6. Jets Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama
The Jets are my dark horse for landing Kirk Cousins in the offseason. If that happens, look for them to upgrade at corner.

7. Buccaneers Connor Williams OT Texas
Some teams hate Williams, some love him. What’s clear though, is that Donovan Smith is a better right tackle and shouldn’t be protecting the blind side.

8. Bears Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame
This pick would probably piss a lot of Bears fans off and it depends on a lot of things…like the Bears finding a WR, signing a pass rusher, and bringing back their top two corners. If that happens, they need to turn their attention to an offensive line in a constant state of movement. Josh Sitton didn’t finish the season and carries a hefty cap number. Kyle Long has been hurt for the better part of three years. Bobby Massie has played better, but isn’t worth what he’s being paid. The 6’4 318lb Nelson can play LG, RG, RT, and even LT in a pinch. Protecting Mitch Trubisky long enough for him to throw to whatever WRs he has, as well as helping Jordan Howard run through 8-9 guys in the box has to be a priority.

9. 49ers Roquan Smith LB Georgia
Smith is one of my favorite players in the draft. Smith, Elijah Lee, and Foster would give the Niners an incredible trio of LBs.

10. Raiders Joshua Jackson CB Iowa
Hard telling what the Raiders will do with all the upheaval on the coaching staff. They could be in the market for a RB or a LB, but Jackson is an upgrade and will climb draft boards this offseason.

11. Dolphins Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson
The Fins are another team that may or may not need a QB, but Tannehill is expected to be back. What they really need, is a pass rusher. Cameron Wake would benefit from a limited snap count, and Charles Harris is still raw.

12. Bengals Derwin James SS Florida State
I mock a defensive back to them every year. Maybe someday I’ll hit on one.

13. Washington Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
Kirk Cousins, by all appearances, seems to be on his way out. Mayfield is a good fit for the offense. It’ll all come down to how he interviews.

14. Packers Courtland Sutton WR Southern Methodist
The Packers bay be on the verge of a WR overhaul here with Adams a FA, Cobb a looming cap issue, and Nelson starting to age. Also keep in mind, they like to double up on positions early.

15. Cardinals Vita Vea DT Washington
They seem pretty OK with Gabbert, but whatever. They could also use some help at WR and on the OL. But…the defense never really recovered from the loss of Campbell.

16. Ravens Arden Key DE LSU
Terrell Suggs isn’t ageless, and the defense that used to be all bite seems to have lost something.

17. Chargers Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
Russell Okung found new life in San Diego, but Joseph Barksdale has been a bit of a disappointment on the right side.

18. Seahawks Denzel Ward CB Ohio State
I don’t know…throw a dart. They need corners, but they never really draft the players they need.

19. Cowboys Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M
The lack of explosive plays through the air when Zeke was out really hurt them. Kirk is an excellent rout runner and a workhorse. If he was two inches taller, he’d be a top 8 pick.

20. Lions Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
This dude is a freak and will probably end up going much much earlier.

21. Titans Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
Payne is a versatile dude that can play DE or NT for the Titans...and they could use a little help at the position. Heck, you can even line him up in the redzone as the H-back.

22. Bills Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma State
When it’s all said and done, I think the Bills use theor two picks to move up into the top 10 and take a more highly rated guy. But…here they stay put and take what I consider to be an underrated player and a poor man’s Andrew Luck.

23. Jaguars Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
The Jags have some question marks at WR. Should Allen Robinson depart, Ridley makes a ton of sense.

24. Bills f/KC Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma
I mean, they can’t keep running Jordan Mills out there, can they? That OL needs fixed, and in a bad way. I don’t have Brown rated as high as some, because I think his size works against him a little bit.

25. Falcons Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida State Billy Price C Ohio State
There aren’t a lot of holes on the roster, but someone to play opposite Trufant couldn’t hurt.

26. Rams Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
How much more scary would the offense be with Andrews in it?

27. Saints Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
Drew Brees is a free agent, and not exactly young. I expect him to be brought back at a reasonable salary, but they need someone behind him. Jackson, in that offense, in a dome, with Kamara…dear lord.

28. Panthers Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
Hurst has been one of the most disruptive interior linemen in college football. He’ll help a defense that likes to rotate guys a lot.

29. Steelers Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama
Ryan Shazier is, at a minimum, a really long time away from playing again. If ever. Rashaan Evans gives the Steelers options. He can play both inside and outside. Don’t rule out a QB here either if one of the top guys falls.

30. Eagles Dre'Mont Jones DT Ohio State
The Eagles defense has turned out to be pretty good, but they are still transitioning from the 3-4 and could use a prototypical 3T.

31. Patriots Kolton Miller OT UCLA
Miller may go higher, but it depends on if teams see him as a RT or LT.

32. Vikings Lorenzo Carter DE Georgia
Brian Robison may not be around much longer. Zimmer likes to have a rotation of 3 or 4 guys that can get to the QB.

Round 2
33. Browns Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
34. Giants Chukwuma Okorafor OT Western Michigan
35. Colts Bryce Love RB Stanford
36. Browns f/HOU Deontay Burnett WR Southern California
37. Broncos Derrius Guice RB LSU
38. Jets Austin Bryant LB Clemson
39. Buccaneers Ronald Jones II RB Southern California

40. Bears James Washington WR Oklahoma State
Currently only Tanner Gentry and Markus Wheaton are under contract for the Bears. I expect Wheaton to be gone, and Meredith, Inman, and Wright back. Kevin White is an afterthought at this point, so clearly the Bears need to fix the WR position. I don’t always know what to make of Washington. He’s built like a RB and doesn’t run great routes, but he catches everything and can really take the top off of a defense…something White never got the chance to do.

41. Patriots f/SF Lorenzo Carter DE Georgia
42. Raiders Tremaine Edmunds ILB Virginia Tech
43. Dolphins Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State
44. Bengals Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado
45. Washington DeShon Elliott SS Texas
46. Packers Anthony Miller WR Memphis
47. Cardinals Ryan Finley QB NC State
48. Ravens Josh Adams RB Notre Dame
49. Chargers Billy Price C Ohio State
50. Jets f/SEA Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi State
51. Cowboys Christian Wilkins DT Clemson
52. Lions Nick Chubb RB Georgia
53. Titans Parris Campbell WR Ohio State
54. Bills Jeff Holland DE Auburn
55. Jaguars Maea Teuhema OG SE Louisiana
56. Chiefs Ronnie Harrison SS Alabama
57. Falcons Will Hernandez OG Texas-El Paso
58. Rams Kendall Joseph ILB Clemson
59. 49ers f/NO Kameron Kelly CB San Diego State
60. Panthers Jamarco Jones OT Ohio State
61. Steelers Dontavius Russell DT Auburn
62. Browns f/PHI Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon
63. Patriots Damien Harris RB Alabama
64. Vikings Logan Woodside QB Toledo
I am all on board with that pick. Obviously you didn't know that Hiestand was coming back when you made this, but no one would be able to get more out of the ND OL than him. I had us slated for OL/WR in the first two rounds as well.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Quenton Nelson is the guy i want most at 8 and its not even close, so i LOVE this pick. And i'd like a move TE and another wr in the draft so i would be beyond happy if this is how our draft plays out
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

24: R1P24
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA
39: R2P7
OT CONNOR WILLIAMS
TEXAS
55: R2P23
WR D.J. MOORE
MARYLAND
85: R3P21
WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M
88: R3P24
CB M.J. STEWART
NORTH CAROLINA
107: R4P5
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
117: R4P15
S GODWIN IGWEBULKE
NORTHWESTERN
147: R5P8
DL ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA
185: R6P7
G SKYLER PHILLIPS
IDAHO ST
225: R7P6
K MICHAEL BADGLEY
MIAMI (FL)
TEAM DRAFT ASSESMENT
EDGE
MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA
WR
D.J. MOORE
MARYLAND
OT
CONNOR WILLIAMS
TEXAS
CB
M.J. STEWART
NORTH CAROLINA
TE
MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
S
GODWIN IGWEBULKE
NORTHWESTERN
DL
ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA
TRADES
TRADE PARTNER:
CAROLINA PANTHERS
SENT:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 8
RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 24
ROUND: 2 PICK: 23
ROUND: 3 PICK: 21
ROUND: 3 PICK: 24

Davenport is really shooting up people's boards. I didn't realize he was 11th in this one I just got lucky he was there at 24