2018 OL Draft Class

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Given the Bears need of OL, and what appears to be the deepest class in several years, I thought I would give it its own thread. It will be interesting to see which direction that Pace decides to go. Does he take a skill player in round 1 and try and grab OL value in rounds 2 and 4? Does he take Nelson or McGlinchey in round 1 and look for a value play in rounds 3-4?

Personally I would like to see the Bears take Nelson in round 1 and kick Long out to RT. I know the debate. But I think that moving Long to RT could increase his durability. Guards are usually not taken in round 1, but all the scouts say that Nelson is the most polished G since Mankin, and is a perennial All-Pro. There are several OT's that could be had in the later rounds. Some of the prospects would be;

1. Desmond Harrison, West Georgia
2. Brian O'Neil, Pittsburgh
3. Brett Toth, Army

Any one of these could be had on day two, maybe even day three.
Adipost
MVP

Tyrell Crosby is another guy to watch out of Oregon at the Senior Bowl.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Given the Bears need of OL, and what appears to be the deepest class in several years, I thought I would give it its own thread. It will be interesting to see which direction that Pace decides to go. Does he take a skill player in round 1 and try and grab OL value in rounds 2 and 4? Does he take Nelson or McGlinchey in round 1 and look for a value play in rounds 3-4?

Personally I would like to see the Bears take Nelson in round 1 and kick Long out to RT. I know the debate. But I think that moving Long to RT could increase his durability. Guards are usually not taken in round 1, but all the scouts say that Nelson is the most polished G since Mankin, and is a perennial All-Pro. There are several OT's that could be had in the later rounds. Some of the prospects would be;

3. Brett Toth, Army

Harrison just weighed in at 279 pounds at the Senior Bowl. Thats... not ideal.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Magpie1985
Rookie

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Given the Bears need of OL, and what appears to be the deepest class in several years, I thought I would give it its own thread. It will be interesting to see which direction that Pace decides to go. Does he take a skill player in round 1 and try and grab OL value in rounds 2 and 4? Does he take Nelson or McGlinchey in round 1 and look for a value play in rounds 3-4?

3. Brett Toth, Army

Tyrell Crosby (Oregon), Kolton Miller (UCLA) and Brandon Parker (North Carolina AT&T) could all be available on day 2 or 3 as well!!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

3. Brett Toth, Army

Reportedly was just getting over the flu going into the weigh-in.

But Harrison also got kicked off the Texas team for multiple failed drug tests, so buyer beware. Maybe he's grown up. Maybe he hasn't.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

3. Brett Toth, Army

Reportedly was just getting over the flu going into the weigh-in.

But Harrison also got kicked off the Texas team for multiple failed drug tests, so buyer beware. Maybe he's grown up. Maybe he hasn't.
If he is coming off of the flu, then that is understandable. But that also means his body does not hold the weight well.

I heard about the drug thing as well. He was supposed to be a day 1 caliber T, but fell off the board because of his shenanigans. I believe that if Pace can get a bead on him, and if he HAS indeed moved past that part of his life, he could be a really good value in the 4th-6th round.
wab
Mod

O'Neill is my dark horse for meteoric rise up the boards into the first round. He's a prototypical left tackle and probably the best pure pass blocker in the draft.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Love McNeill. If we can land him on Day 2, I'd be pretty ecstatic but don't see that happening. Also, there are reports that scouts are in love with Kolton Miller from UCLA at the Senior Bowl.
Never Die Easy