View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm 
Rookie

Considering there aren't too many teams looking at a WR in the first round (49ers & Ravens are the two teams who may pick a WR) do we trade back and look to receive an additional 2nd rounder/future picks etc. as either or all of Ridley/Sutton/Washington will still be on the board late in the first round. Obviously we need to see what happens in FA first but as it currently stands I think it would be a viable option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I think it's quite likely they move down, but as always it depends on who's available and what teams are offering.

Then again, Pace has shown if anything he'll move UP to get who he wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 pm 
Head Coach

Not sure I'd be looking to use my first pick on a WR. This defense could be NASTY if we brought back our CBs and brought in a difference maker pass rusher.

But that avoids the question. To trade down or not would have to depend on the talent pool distribution, but I'd think a new coach might want and extra pick or two to bring in guys with the skill sets he'd like to have in his offense. And Pace likes to build thru the draft. And you can buy some players with $80M in salary cap room, although hopefully you get more useful starters than the group we got this year.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm 
MVP

Trading back seems to always be everyone’s second choice. It goes something like this...

“I want (Player A), if he’s not there then we should just trade back and take (Player B)”

Problem is, its not always that easy. Plus, Pace strikes me as a guy that will surly have a few guys he will be licking his chops to take at 8- espessilly with a new coaching staff to feed.

As far as WR goes.. We despritly need them. Like- 4 of them. But Unlss they are Julio or AJ Green caliber, I’d rather just Take BPA. Reaching even a few spots for a WR that doesn’t blow you away will haunt you for years. I’m just not impressed with the WR group this year. I hope that changes by the draft because its my #1 need for the Bears, followed closely by a Tackle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm 
Hall of Famer

FaithInCutler wrote:
Trading back seems to always be everyone’s second choice. It goes something like this...

“I want (Player A), if he’s not there then we should just trade back and take (Player B)”

Problem is, its not always that easy. Plus, Pace strikes me as a guy that will surly have a few guys he will be licking his chops to take at 8- espessilly with a new coaching staff to feed.

As far as WR goes.. We despritly need them. Like- 4 of them. But Unlss they are Julio or AJ Green caliber, I’d rather just Take BPA. Reaching even a few spots for a WR that doesn’t blow you away will haunt you for years. I’m just not impressed with the WR group this year. I hope that changes by the draft because its my #1 need for the Bears, followed closely by a Tackle.

We shouldn't take a WR in the first round, no way.

I think Nagy might look at Kevin White as a Jeremy Maclin type of player (shouldn't trust him, though).

Adam Shaheen could be a Brent Celek type.

We need to figure out what to do with Howard because RBs are heavily involved in the passing game.

Tariq Cohen could be a Tyreek Hill type.

Cameron Meredith could be an Albert Wilson type.

I dunno, man. I think we could make a splash in FA and be done with it.

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm 
MVP

G08 wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:

We shouldn't take a WR in the first round, no way.

I think Nagy might look at Kevin White as a Jeremy Maclin type of player (shouldn't trust him, though).

Adam Shaheen could be a Brent Celek type.

We need to figure out what to do with Howard because RBs are heavily involved in the passing game.

Tariq Cohen could be a Tyreek Hill type.

Cameron Meredith could be an Albert Wilson type.

I dunno, man. I think we could make a splash in FA and be done with it.

If the vibe I’m getting is even close to being right, each of those players will represent their own skill set on the field. For instance, I think Cohen could be better than Hill is if given the right opportunity. We were told that an offense would be installed around the talent we have on the roster -after all. So, if that truly is the mindset this team has moving forward, we should ALWAYS take the best player available and trust the coaches to get the most out of them. That has been a serious issue with this team since the Emery era and maybe before it. We are always trying to fill holes and been caught reaching too often. Pace has been much better about that IMO. -Yes, he moved up to get QB, but if your franchise QB is sitting there and you feel pressure, you damn well better get him.

I totally get your point, and you’r not wrong. Those players all could have similar skill sets. I’ll say that I have much higher expectations for Shaheen than Celek though. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 am 
Assistant Coach

With the way teams ahead of us are expected to be drafting, we are going to have several options at #8 to draft BPA which will be on the defensive side of the ball.

I wouldn't mind trading back into the #10 to #15 range. Buffalo's two first rounders at #21 and #22 are too good to pass up though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Mod

Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

Plus, pace has shown conviction in the draft, especially in R1, so he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to drop down unless some team really makes it worth his while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Journeyman

As always depends on the deal, however, I would be surprised if they traded down below where the could get either the Notre Dame OG or OT. The Hiestand hire provides great insight and if Nagy has influence here the KC-Reid strategy was generally OL-DL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

Plus, pace has shown conviction in the draft, especially in R1, so he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to drop down unless some team really makes it worth his while.

On the flip side, if we only bring Fuller back I reallllllllllly like the Iowa kid, Josh Jackson.

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7