BFO Scouting WR

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I'd be all over Kirk in the 2nd, but I think he'll go somewhere in the late teens.
G08
Hall of Famer

Kirk/Moore/Chark... one of those dudes should be there at pick #39.

Then again if we somehow land Robinson and Wilson in FA, we don't need to look at WR on day 2.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Am I the only one that is lukewarm on Robinson? Something about the Bears top 3 wideouts going into next season having only accounted for 2 games, 3 catches, and 23 yards in 2017...just bugs me.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Am I the only one that is lukewarm on Robinson? Something about the Bears top 3 wideouts going into next season having only accounted for 2 games, 3 catches, and 23 yards in 2017...just bugs me.
It's not ideal, but ACL tears don't ruin careers like they used to (look at Todd Gurley as an example).

The "luxury" we have is that we should have depth as a hedge, plus Robinson and Meredith are only 24 and 25, respectively.

1. Robinson
2. Meredith
3. Wilson
4. White
5. Wheaton (or a draft pick, etc)
6. Generic depth

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Am I the only one that is lukewarm on Robinson? Something about the Bears top 3 wideouts going into next season having only accounted for 2 games, 3 catches, and 23 yards in 2017...just bugs me.
It's not ideal, but ACL tears don't ruin careers like they used to (look at Todd Gurley as an example).

The "luxury" we have is that we should have depth as a hedge, plus Robinson and Meredith are only 24 and 25, respectively.

1. Robinson
2. Meredith
3. Wilson
4. White
6. Generic depth
That's a lot of hurt players being counted on....4 out of 5...
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

1. Robinson
2. Meredith
3. Wilson
4. White
6. Generic depth
It is, but 3 of those 5 were injured very early last season and are projected to be ready to go by training camp (if not earlier). If that knocks a few bucks off the bottom line, I don't mind.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

1. Robinson
2. Meredith
3. Wilson
4. White
6. Generic depth
It is, but 3 of those 5 were injured very early last season and are projected to be ready to go by training camp (if not earlier). If that knocks a few bucks off the bottom line, I don't mind.
I would be 100% ok with that, although I'm hoping that Inman sticks.
Adipost
MVP

It’s definitely a risk, especially since besides the ACL tear Robinson looked pretty bad in 2016. So he went from an epic season, to looking like a shell of his former self the next season, to the ACL this past season. All that being said, I’d definitely give him one of those Alshon Jeffery 14 mil prove it deals.
cblaz11
MVP

I really want Sammy Watkins. He could be very dangerous in Nagys offense. That being said, WHY IN GODS NAME would the Rams let him walk after giving up a 2nd for him a year ago.

Things like that get a GM fired...
G08
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:I really want Sammy Watkins. He could be very dangerous in Nagys offense. That being said, WHY IN GODS NAME would the Rams let him walk after giving up a 2nd for him a year ago.

Things like that get a GM fired...
Why would they only target him 70 times in a season, too?

Makes you wonder... is he dumb? Did McVay not trust him?

Regardless, he's my #1 target if he hits FA. Turn on the Chiefs "tape" and focus on Tyreek Hill. Then imagine if that dude was 6'1" 205 lbs.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry?

Landry has more than twice as many catches as Watkins, but three fewer TD's. Watkins is the ultimate boom/bust receiver while Landry is a possession guy who only averages 10 yards per reception.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry?

Landry has more than twice as many catches as Watkins, but three fewer TD's. Watkins is the ultimate boom/bust receiver while Landry is a possession guy who only averages 10 yards per reception.
Watkins but only if your offensive coordinator/play caller know how to use him.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:

I personally think Landry would do more for Trubisky than the wildly inconsistent Watkins. And that’s really what this is about.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

If I have to pick one of them, it's Landry because he's shown to be more reliable.

But if I'm being honest, for the price either is seeking, I'd choose what's behind door #3.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I go with Landry for the sake of the security blanket for the young QB. There are worse things than a guy who can run 4 yards a play and get open every time. Patriots won superbowls with a guy like that. We win the Atlanta game week 1 if a guy could simply hold onto the ball...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

I personally think Landry would do more for Trubisky than the wildly inconsistent Watkins. And that’s really what this is about.
I want juice on this offense... just not the one that comes with a diva attitude and lack of speed.

wab
Mod

Markus Wheaton has juice. Kevin White has juice. Hell, even Bellamy has a little juice.

Juice is great, but I want someone who can stay on the field, run good routes, catch the ball when it's thrown to him, and ultimately help a young ascending QB develop.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Markus Wheaton has juice. Kevin White has juice. Hell, even Bellamy has a little juice.

Juice is great, but I want someone who can stay on the field, run good routes, catch the ball when it's thrown to him, and ultimately help a young ascending QB develop.
2 of the 3 players you mentioned can't stay on the field, though, and the other one (Bellamy) can't catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

Watkins doesn't have an issue with drops and played in a shade over 81% of games each season he's been in the league.

wab
Mod

This is one where we are going to agree to disagree. I think Watkins is fools gold. The rams gave up a 2nd round pick for him as a one year rental? Something doesn't smell right.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This is one where we are going to agree to disagree. I think Watkins is fools gold. The rams gave up a 2nd round pick for him as a one year rental? Something doesn't smell right.
I like it better when we disagree!

I think that the concern over them trading a 2nd rounder for him and possibly letting him walk is valid, but I don't know if they expected Woods and Kupp to have the impact that they had. They also have some talented youngsters that are coming out of their rookie deals looking to get paid... tough to shell out $16 million -- or whatever -- to someone who was the 4th most targeted player on your team.

I heard some rumblings that Watkins struggled with the route conversions that McVay has in his offense -- wasn't confirmed -- but really I am looking at him as only fulfilling the Tyreek Hill role in our offense. I'm of the opinion he can do that and do it exceptionally well. The added bonus to me is that it makes Kevin White an afterthought and honestly after 3 years or so we can move on from Watkins if we want to do so. I think Nagy is looking at him and drooling, but that's obviously just a guess on my part.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:This is one where we are going to agree to disagree. I think Watkins is fools gold. The rams gave up a 2nd round pick for him as a one year rental? Something doesn't smell right.
See, this is kind of where I am too.

It's certainly possible that both the Bills and the Rams have decided, in error, that Watkins isn't worth the cost. But something absolutely seems amiss.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Rams GM Les Snead admitted at the combine that when he traded a second-rounder to the Buffalo Bills last August for Watkins, it was with the mutual understanding that they'd do everything possible to make it more than a one-year rental situation. But Snead hedged some, too, acknowledging the Rams would still likely recoup some of that expense in the form of a 2019 compensatory pick if (when) Watkins leaves.
That makes sense

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Man Dante Pettis is exciting to watch. A lot of times freak returnees struggle as a receiver. This guy shows good hands and crisp routes. He could be a steal.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I wanted to bump this thread now that list of Trubisky's passing targets has solidified a little bit:

WR
Robinson
Gabriel
White
Bellamy
Gentry

RB
Howard
Cohen
Cunningham

TE
Sims
Burton
Shaheen

Who fits? I still worry about WR depth and obv depending what happens early in the draft, I'm looking at Moore in the 2nd or Washington a little later.
xyt in the discord chats
Adipost
MVP

I’m actually more intrigued by Calvin Ridley now that we have Allen Robinson. I wasn’t too thrilled with him being a #1, but opposite Robinson he could be an absolute force.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't like Ridley... too slight for my taste and he's already 24. Hard pass.

Unless we have someone like DJ Moore or Christian Kirk sitting there at #39, I don't see us taking a WR before round 4 (assuming we don't trade).

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I wanted to bump this thread now that list of Trubisky's passing targets has solidified a little bit:

WR
Robinson
Gabriel
White
Bellamy
Gentry

RB
Howard
Cohen
Cunningham

TE
Sims
Burton
Shaheen

Who fits? I still worry about WR depth and obv depending what happens early in the draft, I'm looking at Moore in the 2nd or Washington a little later.
That's a pretty steep drop after Gabriel on the depth chart. Just makes the Meredith situation all the more frustrating. Now we're in a situation where we have to draft a WR most likely in round 2.