Marcus Davenport OMFG!!!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

i still don't see a guy worthy of a top 10 pick. If it goes down I hope I am wrong. Didn't have Floyd or White that high either. So guess it is possible Pace goes anti-me again. I do see a quality pro that is going to be better against then run then rushing the passer.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I don't quite see that happening only because I do think they want to give Bullard and RRH a chance to play meaningful snaps.
You don't see that happening because you've been over analyzing edge rushers since December :)
G08
Hall of Famer

Fastest players in @NFLDraft by weight-adjusted:

1. @MarcusJD84, UTSA
2. @Zcarter_7, UGA
3. @saquon, PSU
4. Leon Jacobs, WIS
5. @Shaquemgriffin, UCF
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian
Is he referring to the QB’s?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:"In any other draft, Marcus Davenport might be a top 4 or 5 pick" - Bill Polian

Bill Polian lost his fastball a long long long long long time ago.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
BR0D1E86
MVP

If he was viewed as that good he’d be a top 4 or 5 pick this year, because I’m not sure any of the top quarterbacks would have gone before any of last year’s top 3 if they were all lumped together in one draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

Biggs:

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Biggs:

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com
G08
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth Greg Cosell said that knowing Fangio, if the pick came down to Davenport or Landry he would likely prefer Davenport. He said he loves the bigger, violent guys that can set the EDGE if he can get them.

Z Bear
MVP

Makes sense as Floyd is definitely not a power guy.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Well there goes that
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Saints apparently really wanted him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Sugashane
Player of the Month

You know what I just realized? When Shawn Oakman was getting all that hype, Davenport has turned into what a lot of guys thought Oakman would be.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Saints paid an unusually big price to draft Marcus Davenport
When the Saints were on the clock after the surprising decision to trade away next year’s first-round draft pick to move up in this year’s first round, there was widespread speculation that they must be planning to draft a quarterback. Because typically, that’s the only position that teams will give up two first-round draft picks to get.

Instead, the Saints drafted pass rusher Marcus Davenport.

A move like that is almost unheard of. The last time a team packaged two first-round draft picks to move up and draft a defensive player was in 2003, when the Jets sent two first-round picks to the Bears to select Dewayne Robertson.

And giving up two first-round picks for the 14th overall pick is unheard of: According to ESPN, it was the first time since the AFL-NFL merger that a team gave away two first-round draft picks to acquire a pick outside the Top 12.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin