WAB Mock Draft - Super Bowl Edition

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:Part of the reason Heistand was hired was to develop talent on the OL. Just like he developed Nelson and McGlinchey into top 15 picks. I'm with G08...Heistand is here to coach 3rd-6th round guys into starting level players.

I'm a ND homer, so I'd have ZERO problems with either of those guys on the Bears...but I don't think the have to be drafted just because the Bears hired their position coach.
If Nelson were a GOOD OG and I was taking this position, I might relent. But he really is a cornerstone for an OL for 10 years. If you think Trubisky is your QB of the future, then you need to build an OL around him. A franchise QB is useless if he doesn't have time to throw the football. I can see Heistand coaching up Morgan, Whitehair and Grasu. But it would be a HUGE help if you had a potential All-Pro OG, that was coached by Heistand, to help translate the techniques.
So do you cut Sitton for Nelson? Do you cut Massie and move Long to RT and play Nelson at RG in Long's place? Do you cut Massie and try Nelson at RT? Do you move Leno inside somewhere and let Nelson play LT?

Even though I think pass rusher is the biggest need right now, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. One of the biggest draws of drafting Nelson is that he can play anywhere. It's just...where does he play with the Bears? If you draft Nelson, someone has to go. One of Massie or Sitton would be my guess.
Is this really true? I have yet to read aboot Nelson playing anywhere other than guard in the NFL.
He played all along the OL at ND. That doesn't necessarily translate to the ability to that in the NFL, but for someone who did it in college and is being called a "generational talent" you'd think he has the ability.

Having watched every game he played in, I can say he has the feet and technique to play LT and the power to play RT. He's probably not quite his listed height though, and I admittedly don't know his arm length...both of which could potentially hinder him on the outside.
wab
Mod

My thoughts on Edmunds from many moons ago.