Matt Miller 7-round mock

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
wab wrote:I don't completely dislike this draft. But it only really works for me if the Bears bring back both corners and do something about edge rusher in FA.

I'm also not a huge Mata'afa fan. He's not very big. Same with Notebloom, he's like a poor man's Whitehair and is probably a better fit at guard in the NFL IMO (fun fact, some friends of mine live three houses down from his parents).

If the Bears are going to take a guard at 8, I'd prefer they take a pure OT later in the draft over a tweener.

But aside from those guys, overall I wouldn't hate it.
A late round OT you say? Like Charles Leno? :evilgrin:

@G08, is there a centre getting any love this year? I haven't seen anything from my cursory glances yet.
I haven't dug into the OL much for this draft... currently fixated on pass rushers and WRs.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

malk wrote:
Mr.Irrelevant wrote:You guys are talking about drafting a center, but don't sleep on Jordan Morgan. After a year in an NFL training program he may come out a beast who's ready to hold down the LG spot and we can keep Whitehair at center.

On the other hand, he might be Hronis Grasu part 2.
The thing is, the new staff won't get any real chance to evaluate Morgan before the draft, It's part of what's so infuriating about our offensive line, is Grasu much better in a new scheme, has Morgan got potential, can Long get back to what he was...

It's part of the reason I don't want to see us invest too much in the line this offseason. A later round pick and a quality backup (or Kush if healthy) will be fine until we can evaluate what we have.
Good point. And it's also good reason to keep Sitton around at least through training camp even if he is a big cap hit come March.
SC Bear
Journeyman

I would love Nelson in round 1; I will be happily surprised if he is still on the board at 8. I look for probably 1 or more veteran qb's such as Cousins, Keenum, Foles, and maybe McCarren signed by the likes of Cleveland, Denver, Jets all of which lessens the value of our first pick. I believe Wright compares favorably with FA slot receivers. Landry not for me except in fantasy. I like Inman. Starting to look like the most value for us in round 1 is Edmunds, Smith or Davenport.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:You guys are talking about drafting a center, but don't sleep on Jordan Morgan. After a year in an NFL training program he may come out a beast who's ready to hold down the LG spot and we can keep Whitehair at center.

That's too generous a floor.

He might be Teyo Fabaluje Part II
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote:

That's too generous a floor.

He might be Teyo Fabaluje Part II
Except Morgan isn’t 6’6 355lbs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: It's part of the reason I don't want to see us invest too much in the line this offseason. A later round pick and a quality backup (or Kush if healthy) will be fine until we can evaluate what we have.
I think opposite. Me and you don't have the same team building philosophy. I think you need to think a few years ahead with the the line. Right now perhaps Morgan is a future player. I believe some writing him in as a starter after 16 peaseason snaps seems a bit optimistic. Long and Sitton are not necessarily long term options for a few reasons. Massie contract is almost up. Bringing in prospects seems smart if 3/5 of the line may be replaced in two years.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I would LOVE this draft. Nelson at 8 is my dream pick. We have the qb now protect him and everything else will fall into place. Receivers will have more time to get open down the field, backs will have more running room, and the future of this frachise will be better protected. Kirk in the 2nd would be awesome as well. The defense is already good, we need to improve the offense and this draft would be a few good steps in that direction.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I am all on board with Nelson at #8. He is a 8+ year fixture at G for the Bears. He is a once in a decade opportunity to shore up the interior of the OL around a potential franchise QB.
docc
Head Coach

Agree.. Watched Nelson during games and highlights.. A goad grader body with quicks. Give Mitch some time even our Receivers could get open..uh..hopefully.