View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
Search for:
 Post subject: EDGE rusher talk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 am 
Head Coach

Post your thoughts on edge rushers.

Marcus Davenport
Adipost on Marcus Davenport

NFL.COM Marcus Davenport

Marcus Davenport Scouting

Davenport V Texas Tech

Davenport V Baylor

Clearly an aggressive physical freak. Needs to refine pass rush repertoire. He doesn't disengage well, but he can bulldoze mfers. His instincts are not great and he is a bit stiff in the hips. The negatives aside he is a long, big, aggressive, high motor, freak. Dude has an amazing skill set. I posted videos of higher competition, because bulldozing an accountant at UTSA isn't as impressive. He isn't a finished product but t with coaching that product could become the best edge rusher in NFL level.

Bradley Chubb

MikeFive on Bradley Chubb

NFL.com Bradley Chub

Draft Diamonds Bradley Chubb

Chubb v FSU

Chubb v Louisville

- Chubb is a thick dude with long arms. High motor, with enough athleticism to play as a stand up backer. When you watch him you see he has strong hands able to move linemen. He is more refined as a pass rusher then most. He won't be able to bend the edge as easy in the NFL but he is flexible enough to be able to. A bit tight hopped and coverage will not be a strength. Overall the highest floor pass rusher in the draft.

Post subject: Re: EDGE rusher talk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:24 am 
Journeyman

For me, there are only two edge rushers worthy of the 8th pick.

Bradley Chubb....and Harold Landry

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxcRp2ars4A

He has quickly moved up my board. My pre-combine list

Chubb
Harold Landry
McGlinchey
Roquan Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 am 
Head Coach

Harold Landry

NFL.com Harold Landry

Harold Landry Scouting Report

2016 vs Clemson

Landry Vs Wake Forest

- Landry is more of a prototypical rush backer. Very flexible and can bend/dip through the corner. Probably the fastest bust of the snap in this class, with great closing speed. Not strong enough to hold the point pro hand fight. Good instincts and disciplined in holding his gap, or backside pursuit. Has a bit more moves to get passed a tackle then others liking the dip or inside counter step. I wish he used his hands a bit better to set stuff up or disengage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am 
Mod

I said it in another thread, but I don't think Landry is a top 10 pick. I think he'll go in the first, but probably middle to end of it. He doesn't use his hands consistently well, his size may be a bit of a concern, and his game is all speed...which won't work in the NFL. Unless he starts to convert that speed to power, he's going to get washed out of plays too often. Dropping from 16.5 sacks down to 5 as a senior is also a concern (and yes I know he missed 5 games at the end of the season).

I'd be comfortable with him in the teens, but not at #8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am 
Head Coach

TREMAINE EDMUNDS

NFL.COM TREMAINE EDMUNDS

Edmunds Scouting Report

vs Clemson

Vs West Virginia

- we have talked about him as a more physical Floyd. It actually maybe more like a more physical Jaylon Smith. Physically impressive. Doesn't play on the outside, but in game reps rushes from every location. I believe he will do well if asked to rush from the outside. Takes way to many false steps, and has this bouncy thing when diagnosing. There is a ton to like about his possibilities here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am 
Mod

Quote:
Takes way to many false steps, and has this bouncy thing when diagnosing.

I obviously don't wanna put the cart before the horse, but a former LB that did that exact same thing for 13 years in Chicago just became a first ballot hall of famer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am 
Assistant Coach

Yeah, I agree with wab: Edmunds is much more Urlacher than anyone else. Like #54, Edmunds isn't adept at disengaging from blocks and would be similarly miscast on the edge. Make him a read-and-react guy in the middle of your defense (and get him to freelance less) and you're playing much more to his strengths.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am 
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
Yeah, I agree with wab: Edmunds is much more Urlacher than anyone else. Like #54, Edmunds isn't adept at disengaging from blocks and would be similarly miscast on the edge. Make him a read-and-react guy in the middle of your defense (and get him to freelance less) and you're playing much more to his strengths.

The only difference is that I actually think Urlacher would have been even more successful outside in a 3-4 than he was inside in a 4-3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am 
Head Coach

Urlacher huh. I can't say I agree, but I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am 
Journeyman

Edmunds is similiar Urlacher if your talking measurables...but that's where the comparisons stop. The guy is not Brian Urlacher and has done nothing to show he ever will be. Even in his highlight tape you see him just ignoring his assignment and standing in the middle of the field. I don't see it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next