EDGE rusher talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:davenport is raw, but edmunds has potential. gotcha.
Absolutely, you can do a ton more with Edmunds on the defensive side of the ball than you can Davenport. The difference between the two is that Edmunds has shown it against better competition while Davenport was slapping Rice and North Texas around (more than half his sacks in those two games last season).

I see the talent, for sure, but I like the idea of Edmunds playing ILB and OLB more than I like the idea of Davenport playing OLB and 3T. That's just me.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

I'm looking forward to the podcast on Sunday if only to know Chris and I will be greatly triggering G08 by shitting on Edmunds, as both of us would hate the pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I'm looking forward to the podcast on Sunday if only to know Chris and I will be greatly triggering G08 by shitting on Edmunds, as both of us would hate the pick.
That's honestly 75% of the fun of draft season for me. Everyone has their opinions and they're passionate about it.

Just have good reasons!

cblaz11
MVP

Davenport and Edmunds are both raw.

Davenport has shown the ability to be an edge rusher though..
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:I'm looking forward to the podcast on Sunday if only to know Chris and I will be greatly triggering G08 by shitting on Edmunds, as both of us would hate the pick.
That's honestly 75% of the fun of draft season for me. Everyone has their opinions and they're passionate about it.

Just have good reasons!
  • More of an athlete than a football talent; I don't want to bet the 8th pick on athletic gifts only to find out the guy can't interpret or execute courtesy of poor football instincts.
  • Needs countless reps to improve footwork and tackling form. One of those things he still has to prove he can learn, but...
  • ...I don't know how I feel about drafting a kid this young. It'd be one thing if you had a Freeman or veteran starter in place that would let Edmunds learn from, but Edmunds would be expected to start and immediately contribute. That's a lot of pressure to put on a 20 year old in a huge market.
  • The boom or bust gamble makes me worried. I would respect the pick for the boldness of it, but if you take him over a generational guard talent like Nelson, you're fucking up. Maybe.
  • I'd be much, much happier with Edmunds being the pick on the condition that the Bears acquired him after trading down. At 8? It would obviously depend on the board, but I'd consider my other options heavily before taking a chance.
cblaz11
MVP

My biggest concern with Edmunds is the fact that he's consistently out of position lol
cblaz11
MVP

But man is he big. How tall is he? 6-5? Does that mean we should also start him at shooting guard for the Bulls? I know he's shown zero ability to hit a jumper...or dribble, but we're drafting him as an edge rusher so why stop there?
Hematite
Player of the Month

cblaz11 wrote:But man is he big. How tall is he? 6-5? Does that mean we should also start him at shooting guard for the Bulls? I know he's shown zero ability to hit a jumper...or dribble, but we're drafting him as an edge rusher so why stop there?
Hmmmm. interesting thought exercise. But I agree. The fact that he hasn't shown on tape that he is capable of being a full time edge rusher scares me a bit. All of the good GM's/scouts always talk about the tape, always go back to the tape.

It's a risky pick, but if he worked out and became an Anthony Barr type player, it would be so worth the risk. Glady, I don't have to figure that one out, Pace and Co. I'm sure are doing their best to do just that.

Personally, I'd love Edmunds in a trade down scenario (if he's still available).
wab
Mod

I was really hot on Edmunds early on, and I still really like him, but the Bears already have that same guy on the roster. Give me Nelson and I'll be happy. If he's gone, give me Vita Vea or Taven Bryan and I'll be happy.
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:My biggest concern with Edmunds is the fact that he's consistently out of position lol
108 tackles this season, 14 for a loss; 94 tackles last season, 16.5 for a loss.... but consistently out of position.

:wink:

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't get the Vea at 8 thing. Payne (my fav) and Bryan are also legit and some people like Hurst (I don't see it but it supports my argument) so I think you have an opportunity to trade back and still get a good DT from that clump.
xyt in the discord chats
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:My biggest concern with Edmunds is the fact that he's consistently out of position lol
108 tackles this season, 14 for a loss; 94 tackles last season, 16.5 for a loss.... but consistently out of position.

:wink:
Edmunds averaged better than one TFL each game (1.03) during his Hokie career, and that includes his freshman season when he primarily played special teams. Some of that is testament to his speed, I'm certain of that.

But not all of it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Thoughts on Lorenzo Carter in R2, if available?
Never Die Easy
cblaz11
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:Thoughts on Lorenzo Carter in R2, if available?

I'm a big Lorenzo Carter guy..His Notre Dame tape is off the charts. That being said, his other games are not nearly as impressive. Some of that is because he wasn't asked to consistently rush the passer, similar to Floyd.

The guy plays with a motor, shows pass rush ability, uses his hands well to shed blocks, and is a leader. He's a gym rat and his measurables are phenomenal. I like him, I think he could go anywhere from late 1st to mid 3rd.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:Thoughts on Lorenzo Carter in R2, if available?
Carter is a phenomenal, explosive straight-line athlete.

Carter's production has been wholly lackluster.

I thought he was a guy like Leonard Floyd, and would be overdrafted based on his athletic potential — but frankly, that's dissing what Floyd produced while at Georgia in three seasons versus Carter's four.

I am not a fan. Someone is going to see that speed and explosion and think they can make something with it. I hope it's not the Bears.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
cblaz11
MVP

I'm a Carter fan..but I liked him a lot more as a 3rd or 4th rd pick
G08
Hall of Famer

Man... Davenport is a fucking brute, I just wish he didn't play so God damned tall as often as he did.

Could you imagine him coming off the EDGE opposite Akiem Hicks? Jesus that's a lot of humanity charging at you...

Adipost
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:But man is he big. How tall is he? 6-5? Does that mean we should also start him at shooting guard for the Bulls? I know he's shown zero ability to hit a jumper...or dribble, but we're drafting him as an edge rusher so why stop there?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Man... Davenport is a fucking brute, I just wish he didn't play so God damned tall as often as he did.

Could you imagine him coming off the EDGE opposite Akiem Hicks? Jesus that's a lot of humanity charging at you...
You can coach that and we've got one of the best DCs to help him. That's why I'm hoping we pick him at 8.
cblaz11
MVP

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/12/07/ma ... exas-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is good tape
G08
Hall of Famer

I was reading up on him last night... apparently the dude is a huge introvert and has confidence issues. Not the end of the world, but I'm not sure I know of anyone like that in the NFL who has had success. Then again, kid's only 21.

G08
Hall of Famer

All that NFL talent on North Texas' offensive line :drool:

Here he is against Texas A&M, notice how he gets stonewalled and disappears when he can't bully awful offensive tackles. Technique will help, but just running directly into a tackle, extending your arms and praying you can rock him back on roller skates won't work.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G08
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs: Would you like to Floyd drop in coverage less?

Ryan Pace: The best thing he does is rush the passer, but he’s also extremely athletic and he can do a lot of things in coverage that a lot of pass rushers can’t. Some of the guys we had were from defensive end backgrounds and they were standing up. One of the reasons we drafted Leonard was, first and foremost, we feel he can be a dominate pass rusher. But he’s athletic enough and he can change direction well enough that he can go into coverage and excel.
------------------------------------------------------

BearsFansOnline: But we don't need anymore of that versatility! BOO-HISS

:lol:

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Brad Biggs: Would you like to Floyd drop in coverage less?

Ryan Pace: The best thing he does is rush the passer, but he’s also extremely athletic and he can do a lot of things in coverage that a lot of pass rushers can’t. Some of the guys we had were from defensive end backgrounds and they were standing up. One of the reasons we drafted Leonard was, first and foremost, we feel he can be a dominate pass rusher. But he’s athletic enough and he can change direction well enough that he can go into coverage and excel.

Sorry for not wanting to draft Amobi Okoye! C'MON
wab
Mod

That's not what I said... I asked if it made sense to have more of the same guy. I'm also the one who brought Edmunds name to life on this board. I'm a fan, obviously. I don't think it's crazy talk to wonder if he's the right pick though.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:

Here he is against Texas A&M, notice how he gets stonewalled and disappears when he can't bully awful offensive tackles. Technique will help, but just running directly into a tackle, extending your arms and praying you can rock him back on roller skates won't work.

LOL. He had 11 tackles, 2 QB hits, 1 sack, 1 INT, and he drew a holding penalty in this game.
cblaz11
MVP

You see his strength every time he engages the OT..he's always rocking the blocker back.

Great breakdown of him and Landry here..

G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:

Sorry for not wanting to draft Amobi Okoye! C'MON
You keep referencing him... you realize he played DT right?

G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:

LOL. He had 11 tackles, 2 QB hits, 1 sack, 1 INT, and he drew a holding penalty in this game.
Watch the clip and focus on his pass rush and the INT was a gift. If you're impressed by what you see out of him on the whole in this game, I don't know what to tell you.
Last edited by G08 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:You see his strength every time he engages the OT..he's always rocking the blocker back.

Great breakdown of him and Landry here..

He's not, though.

As for Voch... that dude yaps way too much for my liking. I'd rather just watch what I can find and come to my own conclusions.