View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: EDGE rusher talk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 pm 
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I believe it has to be Tremaine Edmunds. At worst, he's an elite talent at MLB (keyword: talent). At best? A versatile EDGE rusher that not only can get after the passer but can drop into coverage and carry RBs up the sidelines with ease. That's the move if I'm calling the shots.

I completely agree. Ever sense Wab mentioned him, he has been the guy I think fits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 pm 
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I believe it has to be Tremaine Edmunds. At worst, he's an elite talent at MLB (keyword: talent). At best? A versatile EDGE rusher that not only can get after the passer but can drop into coverage and carry RBs up the sidelines with ease. That's the move if I'm calling the shots.

I completely agree. Ever sense Wab mentioned him, he has been the guy I think fits.

Yup, and just like the WRs adding him pushes everyone down a level.

Floyd - Starter
Acho - Starter in base
Edmunds - Pass rusher in sub packages
Lynch - depth

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 pm 
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Floyd - Starter
Acho - Starter in base
Lynch - depth
sign me up. I see this kid as a weapon for Fangio to train and deploy in fiendish ways.

Me want.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 pm 
Player of the Month

I'm kinda intriqued by Ja'von Rolland Jones in the 6th round if he is still available. He's not gonna be a guy that can be effective every down, but in sub packages when its time to get the QB, he may have value!

He played for a small school but was a sack machine. Gem or shiny rock?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm 
Head Coach

Just watched Hubbard vs Iowa and was not impressed. He uses his hands to keep blockers off his body but it's not exactly a great bull rush, and his speed around the edge is not impressive. He looked OK for the first quarter then his team started getting spanked and he couldn't make a play. Shows good effort I guess?

I hate this group.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:56 pm 
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:
I hate this group.

Every single one of them has flaws and it's annoying. More and more I'm thinking at 8 you have to go EDGE. It will suck if Edmunds is gone, but if we have to reach for Landry then so freaking be it. Dude has a ton of flaws, but so did Floyd and Pace traded up for that dude.

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 pm 
Head Coach

I was thinking about this when posting in the Top 8 thread, and I kinda think the opposite of your reasoning. If Chubb (obv) and Edmunds are gone, I think we fill another need with a high floor player at 8 (Nelson, Smith) and kick the can on OLB. We can draft a situational rusher guy later (4th) and accept that Acho is starting in 2018. Maybe Lynch or the 4th rounder rookie can add 5-6 sacks and Floyd gets 8. Or we trade down and get two of these questionable EDGE guys and hope that one works out. We need two starters from this draft and can't afford to whiff on #8.

EDIT: I'm assuming that only EDGE trash will be left in the second and we'll end up drafting OL or WR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:35 pm 
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Floyd - Starter
Acho - Starter in base
Lynch - depth
sign me up. I see this kid as a weapon for Fangio to train and deploy in fiendish ways.

Me want.
That's how I see it as well. Even if we play him inside in some packages, Fangio has made superstars out of inside guys who can go get the QB. He works because of Fangio's creativity.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 pm 
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Floyd - Starter
Acho - Starter in base
Lynch - depth

Me want.
That's how I see it as well ... He works because of Fangio's creativity.
Exactly.

That's the same reason we don't have to automatically choose Quenton Nelson at 8. Harry Hiestand is an OL guru and as long as we draft someone with reasonable skill/talent (Could Mike McGlinchey make it to #39?), Harry will absolutely coach him up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
Mod

If Edmunds and Nelson are gone and the Bears aren’t comfortable with Davenport...I’m good with Vea or Bryan at 8. Bryan may be a stretch but I think he goes top 12 by the time it’s all said and done. Hard to ignore the JJ Watt comparisons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next