Offensive Linemen Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I still see QN as a guard but it doesn't matter becuase the Quenton Nelson debate is reminding me of Leonard Williams debate. We spent all off-season arguing the value of an inside player only to have him drafted in front of us anyway
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.

Conversely, human-mountain Orlando Brown could only lift 14.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Orlando Brown just ran a 5.86 after putting up 14 reps yesterday. What a terrible showing for the Sooner.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Also looked like garbage in the drills. Why did he agree to go to the combine?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Brian O'Neill (my #1 OT) just ran a freaking 4.78 40. And 22 reps on the bench isn't shabby.

I'm also keeping an eye on Wyatt Teller as a guy the Bears should look at as a potential/future replacement for Sitton.
wab
Mod

Kolton Miller is moving himself up into the teens as well.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Also looked like garbage in the drills. Why did he agree to go to the combine?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Joe Noteboom (one of "my guys") has looked pretty good. I thought he could be a Day 3 steal. He's showing his athleticism off, which might not see him get there.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
LacertineForest
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:Also looked like garbage in the drills. Why did he agree to go to the combine?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He did pretty well on height and weight, though :D
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Good question. I guess he doesn't expect the numbers won't be any better at the pro day. Might as well get them out there now.

I don't care how big you are, or naturally strong, you still need to know where the fucking weight room is. Brown tests like a guy who never found it in all his time at OUsucks.

G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Good question. I guess he doesn't expect the numbers won't be any better at the pro day. Might as well get them out there now.

I don't care how big you are, or naturally strong, you still need to know where the fucking weight room is. Brown tests like a guy who never found it in all his time at OUsucks.
#NotALonghornsFanAtAll

:wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

EricTighe
MVP

The guard class this year is sick. Maybe the drafts best position,
My list
1. Nelson- Talked him to death.
2. Braden Smith (Auburn)- Maybe the drafts best pulling and trapping. Did I mention he is strong as hell. His Coach says he is the best football player he has ever coached(take it for what it is worth).
3. Hernandez- Was in the talking before the season as a third or fourth rounder, But the display he put on at the Senior bowl was crazy. He looked like a man amongst boyz,
4. Austin Corbett- Played LT at Nevada and held his own for the last three years, held is own against Myles Garret when they played.
5. Wyatt Teller VT- Good all around blocker.

As good as this list is the one problem is they will all be gone before the third round. Not that we have one anyway. So we get one in the first or the second. My prefrence is to get
1st round. Edmunds if gone then take Payne
2nd round. Braden Smith or Hernandez one of them should still be there,
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

EricTighe wrote:The guard class this year is sick. Maybe the drafts best position,
My list
1. Nelson- Talked him to death.
2. Braden Smith (Auburn)- Maybe the drafts best pulling and trapping. Did I mention he is strong as hell. His Coach says he is the best football player he has ever coached(take it for what it is worth).
3. Hernandez- Was in the talking before the season as a third or fourth rounder, But the display he put on at the Senior bowl was crazy. He looked like a man amongst boyz,
4. Austin Corbett- Played LT at Nevada and held his own for the last three years, held is own against Myles Garret when they played.
5. Wyatt Teller VT- Good all around blocker.

As good as this list is the one problem is they will all be gone before the third round. Not that we have one anyway. So we get one in the first or the second. My prefrence is to get
1st round. Edmunds if gone then take Payne
2nd round. Braden Smith or Hernandez one of them should still be there,
You forgot to mention Isaiah Wynn, who clearly looked like one of the best Guards at the Senior Bowl. Extremely sound technically, athletic and strong at the point of attack.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

More and more I think we take our best rated interior OL in round 2. Sign me up for Edmunds in the 1st and a lineman in round 2.

wab
Mod

I'm a Wyatt Teller fan in r4.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:More and more I think we take our best rated interior OL in round 2. Sign me up for Edmunds in the 1st and a lineman in round 2.
Yeah I think that makes sense with how the roster is shaped.
G08
Hall of Famer

Edmunds or Landry in round 1, round 2 can even be an OT that we convert to OG if we like... should be a lot of names there and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace pull his patented trade-down to acquire a low third or high fourth.

The only player for me that could throw a wrench into those plans is Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm not sure how you leave that dude on the board... starting nickel day 1 and he can kick outside if anyone gets hurt or he can take over if we move on from Fuller in a couple years.

SC Bear
Journeyman

Now that Compton has signed with the Vikings I believe it is pretty clear the Bears go OL 1 or 2 in the draft. Nelson if he is there, the ND OT if they trade back in 1, or one of the guards in 2.
wab
Mod

I still think it's possible that they move Whitehair to LG and Kush takes over at center. Morgan, Lee, and Grasu back up on the interior, and Sowell is the swing guy.

BUT... that's not a super strong group.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

There is no reason not to draft a guard this draft. There are decent options that could be had at almost any point.
Middleguard
MVP

I think there is every reason TO draft a guard this draft.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:I think there is every reason TO draft a guard this draft.
There is no reason not to draft a guard this draft. There are decent options that could be had at almost any point.
Double negative...you're saying the same thing... :taunt:
Middleguard
MVP

Not so, different implications by the wording: "could" vs "should."
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:Not so, different implications by the wording: "could" vs "should."
;)
SC Bear
Journeyman

So far in FA we have lost Sitton and Compton. Not adding someone from FA ($5 mil+ )or the draft rds 1 or 2 would be a mistake. IMO failure to invest in the offensive line would be so detrimental to our offense that even with all the additions to the offense our performance would struggle to surpass last year
EricTighe
MVP

What about this guy in round two.

By the way in 2017 he didn't allow a sack or a single pressure on the QB. Forget that he didn't even allow his QB to get hit at all from him. He was also voted as the best O-lineman in the Pac-12 by his PEERS.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/0 ... y/apyz9jh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyrell-cr ... 06d79bf655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh yeah our Offensive coordinator knows him real well.

If Pace is really listening to his coaches as he says could it be possible that we draft Nelson in round 1 like everyone says only then to follow it with Crosby in round 2? It may not be our starting right side next year but it could be our starting right side for the next ten years after.

I know all the Edge pass rusher guys will hate this scenario.
wab
Mod

EricTighe wrote:What about this guy in round two.

By the way in 2017 he didn't allow a sack or a single pressure on the QB. Forget that he didn't even allow his QB to get hit at all from him. He was also voted as the best O-lineman in the Pac-12 by his PEERS.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/0 ... y/apyz9jh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyrell-cr ... 06d79bf655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh yeah our Offensive coordinator knows him real well.

If Pace is really listening to his coaches as he says could it be possible that we draft Nelson in round 1 like everyone says only then to follow it with Crosby in round 2? It may not be our starting right side next year but it could be our starting right side for the next ten years after.

I know all the Edge pass rusher guys will hate this scenario.
Pace has a history of doubling (even tripling) up picks on weak spots. It wouldn’t surprise me. Nor would I hate it.
EricTighe
MVP

Not to mention he has been talking all off season about giving Trubiski every chance to succeed. No matter the play makers you have and the scheme you run if you have no line we will be looking for another QB in a few years. If he can survive that long?
Trust me I still want Da'Ron Payne in the first. I still think he is a future first ballot Hall of Famer and I don't say that very often. Hell didn't even say it when Urlacher came out only argued till I was blue in the face that he was the best player in the draft.

I think the only guys I ever said that about was DaCastro (on his way), Tomlinson and Polamula. Now I am saying it about Payne.

Would love to say it about Nelson but not to sure if some of his weaknesses were covered up playing along side McGlinchey? (Or perhaps it was the other way around?)