Do the Bears trade back in the draft?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

atay1992
Rookie

Considering there aren't too many teams looking at a WR in the first round (49ers & Ravens are the two teams who may pick a WR) do we trade back and look to receive an additional 2nd rounder/future picks etc. as either or all of Ridley/Sutton/Washington will still be on the board late in the first round. Obviously we need to see what happens in FA first but as it currently stands I think it would be a viable option.
UOK
Site Admin

I think it's quite likely they move down, but as always it depends on who's available and what teams are offering.

Then again, Pace has shown if anything he'll move UP to get who he wants.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Not sure I'd be looking to use my first pick on a WR. This defense could be NASTY if we brought back our CBs and brought in a difference maker pass rusher.

But that avoids the question. To trade down or not would have to depend on the talent pool distribution, but I'd think a new coach might want and extra pick or two to bring in guys with the skill sets he'd like to have in his offense. And Pace likes to build thru the draft. And you can buy some players with $80M in salary cap room, although hopefully you get more useful starters than the group we got this year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
FaithInCutler
MVP

Trading back seems to always be everyone’s second choice. It goes something like this...

“I want (Player A), if he’s not there then we should just trade back and take (Player B)”

Problem is, its not always that easy. Plus, Pace strikes me as a guy that will surly have a few guys he will be licking his chops to take at 8- espessilly with a new coaching staff to feed.

As far as WR goes.. We despritly need them. Like- 4 of them. But Unlss they are Julio or AJ Green caliber, I’d rather just Take BPA. Reaching even a few spots for a WR that doesn’t blow you away will haunt you for years. I’m just not impressed with the WR group this year. I hope that changes by the draft because its my #1 need for the Bears, followed closely by a Tackle.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
G08
Hall of Famer

FaithInCutler wrote:Trading back seems to always be everyone’s second choice. It goes something like this...

“I want (Player A), if he’s not there then we should just trade back and take (Player B)”

Problem is, its not always that easy. Plus, Pace strikes me as a guy that will surly have a few guys he will be licking his chops to take at 8- espessilly with a new coaching staff to feed.

As far as WR goes.. We despritly need them. Like- 4 of them. But Unlss they are Julio or AJ Green caliber, I’d rather just Take BPA. Reaching even a few spots for a WR that doesn’t blow you away will haunt you for years. I’m just not impressed with the WR group this year. I hope that changes by the draft because its my #1 need for the Bears, followed closely by a Tackle.
We shouldn't take a WR in the first round, no way.

I think Nagy might look at Kevin White as a Jeremy Maclin type of player (shouldn't trust him, though).

Adam Shaheen could be a Brent Celek type.

We need to figure out what to do with Howard because RBs are heavily involved in the passing game.

Tariq Cohen could be a Tyreek Hill type.

Cameron Meredith could be an Albert Wilson type.

I dunno, man. I think we could make a splash in FA and be done with it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

FaithInCutler
MVP

G08 wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:Trading back seems to always be everyone’s second choice. It goes something like this...

We shouldn't take a WR in the first round, no way.

I think Nagy might look at Kevin White as a Jeremy Maclin type of player (shouldn't trust him, though).

Adam Shaheen could be a Brent Celek type.

We need to figure out what to do with Howard because RBs are heavily involved in the passing game.

Tariq Cohen could be a Tyreek Hill type.

Cameron Meredith could be an Albert Wilson type.

I dunno, man. I think we could make a splash in FA and be done with it.
If the vibe I’m getting is even close to being right, each of those players will represent their own skill set on the field. For instance, I think Cohen could be better than Hill is if given the right opportunity. We were told that an offense would be installed around the talent we have on the roster -after all. So, if that truly is the mindset this team has moving forward, we should ALWAYS take the best player available and trust the coaches to get the most out of them. That has been a serious issue with this team since the Emery era and maybe before it. We are always trying to fill holes and been caught reaching too often. Pace has been much better about that IMO. -Yes, he moved up to get QB, but if your franchise QB is sitting there and you feel pressure, you damn well better get him.

I totally get your point, and you’r not wrong. Those players all could have similar skill sets. I’ll say that I have much higher expectations for Shaheen than Celek though. :)
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

With the way teams ahead of us are expected to be drafting, we are going to have several options at #8 to draft BPA which will be on the defensive side of the ball.

I wouldn't mind trading back into the #10 to #15 range. Buffalo's two first rounders at #21 and #22 are too good to pass up though.
wab
Mod

Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

Plus, pace has shown conviction in the draft, especially in R1, so he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to drop down unless some team really makes it worth his while.
SC Bear
Journeyman

As always depends on the deal, however, I would be surprised if they traded down below where the could get either the Notre Dame OG or OT. The Hiestand hire provides great insight and if Nagy has influence here the KC-Reid strategy was generally OL-DL.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

Plus, pace has shown conviction in the draft, especially in R1, so he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to drop down unless some team really makes it worth his while.
On the flip side, if we only bring Fuller back I reallllllllllly like the Iowa kid, Josh Jackson.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

On the flip side, if we only bring Fuller back I reallllllllllly like the Iowa kid, Josh Jackson.
Same. He's legit.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Love Josh Jackson. He's got tons of ability as a CB1 in the NFL. As for a trade back, I think it depends on the offer and if they're comfortable moving down in the draft at that point. If there's a player that Pace has targeted and is available - then I think he stands pat and drafts his guy.

If we can re-sign Fuller and Amukamara, sign a FA WR and maybe an upgrade at OT over Massie, then I'd focus on Edge Rusher or OL with the 1st pick.

I really like Harold Landry as a 34 edge rusher and I think people are sleeping on him a bit. I like him better than Ferrell in the 34 scheme. Also, you can't go wrong with Nelson even though he's a guard.
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

We're crying out for pass rush, it's head and shoulders above any other priority for me. Yes a corner will be important if we don't resign Fuller and Amukamara but those resignings are a priority for me. The offensive line needs to get better but it was fine before injuries. Talk of Leno and Massie is less important to me than what we're going to do with Long and Sitton, there's a lot of cap space tied up in those two guards.

I'll trust Pace though, I love speculating about the draft but there's definitely a comfort in having loads of confidence in Pace to make the right decision.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Maybe

Right now, looks like the Bears are rightat the edge of where there's a big drop in talent from one tier to the next.

If a Tier 1 edge rusher makes it to 8, I think you have to bite.

If an in-demand QB lasts to 8, you have to look seriously at trade offers.

If the top tier QBs and OLBs are gone, you fish around and see if there's anyone that wants something at 9 (McGlinchey & Fitzpatrick being the most 'unique'/valuable commodities I see around that area).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

As long as the draft stays true to the mocks in terms of positions selected. Obviously no mock should be expected to be accurate, but there are gonna be a shit-ton of QBs taken before our turn. We are going to be able to draft an impactful player on defense and have a good selection to choose from.
wab
Mod

Everyone bags on Massie, but the funny thing is that he was the Bears best offensive linemen for the majority of the season, and is actually the best fit in Nagy's offense.

If the Bears are looking to move on from him, it's because of the money he's making, not necessarily because of his play.

Aside from that, if they want to upgrade the OL, it's the interior they need to be looking at. Sitton missed 7 games and is making a ton of money, Long is nearing 30 and ended another year on IR. Whitehair should be ok. Leno just got paid, but is he a good fit on the edge now, or is he better inside?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I could see packaging our pick to trade for a player in a trade down scenario. Like if we want Demarcus Lawrence and the Cowboys tag him...maybe offer to drop to 19 in order to trade for Lawrence.

But that is the only way I'd like to move back in some kind of 2 for 1 where we get a player and the pick in exchange.

I see us having a ton of cap space and while building through the draft is quaint...most teams still need a big trade or FA splash to solidify rosters.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Everyone bags on Massie, but the funny thing is that he was the Bears best offensive linemen for the majority of the season, and is actually the best fit in Nagy's offense.

If the Bears are looking to move on from him, it's because of the money he's making, not necessarily because of his play.

Aside from that, if they want to upgrade the OL, it's the interior they need to be looking at. Sitton missed 7 games and is making a ton of money, Long is nearing 30 and ended another year on IR. Whitehair should be ok. Leno just got paid, but is he a good fit on the edge now, or is he better inside?
Leno Nelson Whitehair Long Massie ?

Hematite
Player of the Month

I think its time to take a page out of the Patriots draft strategy and start loading up on mid round draft picks. I think stats prove that quantity of picks especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (1st would be ideal, but you'd have to suck long and hard aka the Browns) is a safer and better strategy over the long haul than trading away picks to move up. Also, having Trubisky, the franchise QB on the roster makes this a much easier strategy.

So yes, in my mind, its time for the Bears to start trading back in future drafts.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Leno Nelson Whitehair Long Massie ?
I’m good with that for now, but I think only Whitehair and Nelson are a part of that group in two years. The Bears need to prepare for life after Long, Massie is entering the last year of his deal, and I’m worried about a precipitous drop off in performance at LT in this system (I hope I’m wrong about that last part). Is Lee or Morgan going to take a step and replace Long someday?

Nelson is a good pick because he can play either guard spot and either tackle spot.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm against trading back this year. We still need to be searching for impact players and they're more likely to be found in the first two rounds. There are a few very good players in this draft, and considering the QB needs in front of us, it's likely that they will fall.

And btw

The Patriots are not successful because they do an awesome job of amassing picks in the mid rounds and finding gems, they're successful because the have possibly the best coach and possibly the best QB in history. They surround Brady with average or above average support and the coaches win with scheme.

EDIT
And Brady agreed to play for cheap. And they cheat. It's not draft genius
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I'm against trading back this year. We still need to be searching for impact players and they're more likely to be found in the first two rounds. There are a few very good players in this draft, and considering the QB needs in front of us, it's likely that they will fall.

And btw

The Patriots are not successful because they do an awesome job of amassing picks in the mid rounds and finding gems, they're successful because the have possibly the best coach and possibly the best QB in history. They surround Brady with average or above average support and the coaches win with scheme.

EDIT
yeah, if anything it's pretty much universally accepted that belichick's weakest quality is his drafting.
G08
Hall of Famer

If his knee checks out... I'd be all over Connor Williams. Keep him at RT for 3-4 years and when Leno's contract is up, kick him over to LT. Kid is what, 20?

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:If his knee checks out... I'd be all over Connor Williams. Keep him at RT for 3-4 years and when Leno's contract is up, kick him over to LT. Kid is what, 20?
Agree with that. It would make a talented line when healthy, with a mix of youth and experience. Obviously health is a concern but you can't complain about this line up.

Leno Long Whitehair Sitton Williams
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:If his knee checks out... I'd be all over Connor Williams. Keep him at RT for 3-4 years and when Leno's contract is up, kick him over to LT. Kid is what, 20?
Yep, he's 20.
Never Die Easy
Hematite
Player of the Month

crueltyabc wrote:I'm against trading back this year. We still need to be searching for impact players and they're more likely to be found in the first two rounds. There are a few very good players in this draft, and considering the QB needs in front of us, it's likely that they will fall.

And btw

EDIT
Well if you can't beat em...join em!

I can tell you trading away draft picks hasn't worked very well for Chicago either. Might as well try a different strategy.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
Agree with that. It would make a talented line when healthy, with a mix of youth and experience. Obviously health is a concern but you can't complain about this line up.

Leno Long Whitehair Sitton Williams
I agree with the logic, but until proven healthy, you can't plan for Long to start let alone play.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

I’m not counting on Long to play much more in his career, let alone much next season.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I’m not counting on Long to play much more in his career, let alone much next season.
You've been saying this for a while now and I didn't want to believe it. I think you're onto something but still hope you're wrong my friend.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I could see packaging our pick to trade for a player in a trade down scenario. Like if we want Demarcus Lawrence and the Cowboys tag him...maybe offer to drop to 19 in order to trade for Lawrence.

But that is the only way I'd like to move back in some kind of 2 for 1 where we get a player and the pick in exchange.

I see us having a ton of cap space and while building through the draft is quaint...most teams still need a big trade or FA splash to solidify rosters.
As the Bears I take that deal and run provided that Lawrence signs an extension. With pass rush addressed, then you can take a good long look if Nelson or McGlinchey drop that far (even though I hate taking OL that high up) or you go CB or ILB.

Oddly enough Walter Football has Roquan Smith taken right there at 19. If that plays out and we trade for Lawrence and then draft Smith that is a huge win.