Is Mike Gisecki the next Travis Kelce?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Hematite wrote: ... And then the question becomes, how do you stop him. To big for most CB's, and to fast for most LB's. The kid is an athletic freak. I'd really consider him at the bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd if that somehow became an option.
Hmmm ... so then he and Shaeen become our version of Sampson/Olajuwan?

I can think of worse outcomes. :toast:
Great reference. :thumbsup:

But it shows your age. I wonder how many folks on here had to look that one up. :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Hematite wrote: ... And then the question becomes, how do you stop him. To big for most CB's, and to fast for most LB's. The kid is an athletic freak. I'd really consider him at the bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd if that somehow became an option.

But it shows your age. I wonder how many folks on here had to look that one up. :evilgrin:

I'm old enough to know that ultimately that experiment didn't work out and Houston had to trade Sampson away after 3.5 seasons.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
malk
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

I'm old enough to know that ultimately that experiment didn't work out and Houston had to trade Sampson away after 3.5 seasons.
Injuries. Seems pretty apt for a Bears comparison.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
IotaNet
MVP

malk wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Yeah, I went way back -- I'm old enough to be a Grandpa and that one definitely gives it away. (I don't care, tho -- Grandbabies rock!)

And unfortunately, the injury thing is part of the comparison. We simply can't catch a break where that's concerned. :frustrated:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
malk wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Yeah, I went way back -- I'm old enough to be a Grandpa and that one definitely gives it away. (I don't care, tho -- Grandbabies rock!)

And unfortunately, the injury thing is part of the comparison. We simply can't catch a break where that's concerned. :frustrated:
I thought it would be neat to have grandkids. My underestimation. :D
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I really do like him as a recieving threat. I question Shaheens ability in that area. I would like a move TE drafted but this guy will go to high.
Adipost
MVP

Travis Kelce was not regarded as an athletic freak coming out of college...

Kelce has been a tremendous run blocker throughout his career for the Bearcats, but really elevated his game as a receiver in his senior season. He isn't a tremendous athlete, but he does a lot of things very well. It's a deep tight end class, but Kelce's play suggests that he should be highly sought after.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Adipost wrote:Travis Kelce was not regarded as an athletic freak coming out of college...

Kelce has been a tremendous run blocker throughout his career for the Bearcats, but really elevated his game as a receiver in his senior season. He isn't a tremendous athlete, but he does a lot of things very well. It's a deep tight end class, but Kelce's play suggests that he should be highly sought after.
I was focused more on what role he plays for KC's offense and whether Gisecki would fill that role well in our offense. The fact that Gisecki is an athletic freak just makes him more intriquing!