After todays signings...R1 draft thoughts

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

So we got 2 legit WRs ( lol i think )
and a TE

So top two positions have to be CB and Edge right?

Personally I would think Edge in R1 ( assuming at least Fuller is still with us )

so....Edwards?

Of course it would cost too much to move up and get Chubbs lol...but who knows with Pace.

I think its easier to get a DB in the later rounds than a legit Edge rusher.

Thoughts?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Day 1 of the draft still needs to be BPA.

I would have to think though that day 1 focuses on defense.

Don't forget LB to the list of CB and edge. I'm thinking we wind up taking Smith or Edmunds at 8. I wish I felt more comfortable taking Davenport at 8 than I do. There's so much upside to him. The thought of Floyd on one side and Davenport on the other. Unreal.

I still wouldn't mind trading down to the mid-1st round and accumulating picks. We need more than one player to be impactful on day 1 out of this draft.
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Right now we have no starting CB so that is the biggest issue.

Ward or Jackson?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

there is no doubt in my mind that in a week we'll have a few cb's signed. including fuller.

pace is not going to let us go into the draft with any horrible glaring need that forces our hand in the first round.
malk
Head Coach

Your regular reminder that BPA doesn't exist!

Bar for that, edge and CB are the round 1 priorities and even then, at CB, I think we'll do more than just bring back Fuller. for me it's either edge or trade back.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Your regular reminder that BPA doesn't exist!
yeah, but you said that about female orgasms, and my wife left me.
cblaz11
MVP

I'm confused...you said you want an edge rusher but you mocked Edwards at 8...you do know he's not an edge guy right? Also..not that it's important, but he has shown ZERO ability to rush off the edge.

Harold Landry at 8..
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:Your regular reminder that BPA doesn't exist!
yeah, but you said that about female orgasms, and my wife left me.
They're just black swans.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I’m completely sold on Marcus Davenport.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:I'm confused...you said you want an edge rusher but you mocked Edwards at 8...you do know he's not an edge guy right? Also..not that it's important, but he has shown ZERO ability to rush off the edge.

Harold Landry at 8..
Look you can list this every time his name comes up. In my opinion your opinion is wrong. So let's make a bet. You said five sacks in one thread. It sounds like a good number to me.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I have to think that part of the Bears bringing Vic Fangio back was some kind of commitment to get guys he wants on defense.

Landry lacks the length Fangio has always sought in his edge guys, and the next time he wants a sub-6'0" cornerback will be the first time, let alone Ryan Pace making one a Day 1 pick. I'll be positively stunned if Landry or Ward is their first rounder.

Day 1 is a player with elite athletic traits who fits the team.

Bradley Chubb makes sense.
Quenton Nelson makes sense.
Tremaine Edmunds makes sense.
Marcus Davenport and Roquan Smith maybe make sense.

If the Bears stay around #8, I have to believe it's one of those guys.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BR0D1E86
MVP

Apparently Prince is back, and I'd be surprised if Fuller wasn't. So looks like corner is off the list.

Nelson makes sense. Tremaine Edmunds fits the profile of Pace's first round picks.

Honestly, if Nelson isn't there and one of the 4 quarterbacks falls I could see someone wildly overpaying to trade up. Could be in a good spot. I don't think any of the quarterbacks are among the 4 best players in this draft. So we're either in a position to get a top 4 player or a haul of picks.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It just seems like hell or high water, the Bears need to get the best pass rusher they can get in R1. CB, TE and WR not needed with the signings. Nelson at G would make some sense, but we can find a competent OG in FA in the days/weeks to come. Critically key is that there aren't any solid pass rushers in FA. I don't know if it's Edmunds, Davenport or who it should be. And maybe it's a sign we'll move back a bit and snag that 3rd rounder we're missing. But it seems obvious. Too obvious, really.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

I still see QBs going to the Browns, Giants and Jets. If Barkley, Chubb and Nelson go to the Browns, Colts and Broncos then the Bucs take Edmunds a spot before us and he goes on to dominate.

Because Bears.

It will be interesting if teams do see a top 4 QBs that are a distinct step over the others, i.e. Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield. Does that mean we can trade our #8 to one of the QB needy teams? Probably not as, given the Jets at #6, someone could go after the Colts pick.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:I’m completely sold on Marcus Davenport.
If we draft that guy I'm going to be totally excited. I'm just worried he could be a bust because he didn't go to a major program.

HOWEVER

If anybody can take someone from that background and with that raw ability and turn them into a star I think its Fangio. And sometimes you need to swing for the fence. Wrong analogy given the sport, but you get my point. :)
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:I’m completely sold on Marcus Davenport.
If we draft that guy I'm going to be totally excited. I'm just worried he could be a bust because he didn't go to a major program.

HOWEVER

If anybody can take someone from that background and with that raw ability and turn them into a star I think its Fangio. And sometimes you need to swing for the fence. Wrong analogy given the sport, but you get my point. :)
I'd say the analogy was nice, because I think he's too talented to be considered a more aptley "hail mary" pick.
YOGABBA
Rookie

All.

Tremaine Edmunds. I don't care if he's raw, because he's a superior athletic talent. Put him on the field, let Vic get creative, and just let him find the ball.
Umbali
MVP

McCblaz wrote:I'm confused...you said you want an edge rusher but you mocked Edwards at 8...you do know he's not an edge guy right? Also..not that it's important, but he has shown ZERO ability to rush off the edge.

Harold Landry at 8..
Actually I meant Edmunds. I could have sworn I remembered reading that he could rush off the edge and that with his skill set he needs refinement.

I am not advocating for anyone because I dont feel I know enough. I was saying Edmunds because I have seen so many sites mock him to us.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Of the prospects who might be there at 8:

1. Q Nelson
2. T Edmunds
3. Vita Vea
4. D Ward
5. R Smith
6. H Landry
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

Okay -- I am officially all-in on Tremaine Edmunds. Kid is an athletic freak that I'd love to see on the field with Floyd.

Can you imagine what Fangio could make happen with the two of them?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

The more I think about it, the more I believe it has to be Tremaine Edmunds. At worst, he's an elite talent at MLB (keyword: talent). At best? A versatile EDGE rusher that not only can get after the passer but can drop into coverage and carry RBs up the sidelines with ease. That's the move if I'm calling the shots.

Nelson is a luxury that we currently do not have. I sincerely hope that young man gets picked before #8.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

Edmunds is head and shoulders above our other options for me. Even if he doesn't transition to an edge rusher, being able to dream of the next great Chicago linebacker activates my salivary glands!

Adipost
MVP

Umbali wrote:

Harold Landry at 8..
Actually I meant Edmunds. I could have sworn I remembered reading that he could rush off the edge and that with his skill set he needs refinement.

I am not advocating for anyone because I dont feel I know enough. I was saying Edmunds because I have seen so many sites mock him to us.
I’m having a really hard time trying to find any plays of Edmunds putting pressure on a qb off the edge 1 on 1 against an OT. His sacks last year came on overload blitzes and spying the QB in the middle of the field.

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedRaggedCoyote

https://gfycat.com/AromaticLameDanishswedishfarmdog

https://gfycat.com/LightheartedAjarFlea

https://gfycat.com/FlippantRipeBovine

To me, this is not a guy who needs refinement at edge, more so a guy who needs to learn how to be an edge rusher from scratch.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think he’s a middle linebacker, but some articles speculated with his size and athleticism that he could be taught to be an edge rusher.

I think if we take him he’ll primarily play in he middle. Maybe situationally move outside.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

There aren’t many guys that do everything an NFL 3-4 OLB does when they’re in college. Most guys gotta learn to read and cover, he will have to learn to rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I want OL..... Or the biggest IMPACT BPA. Be it CB, LB...
wab
Mod

Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
SC Bear
Journeyman

As I see it today the first 8 to be drafted will be Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and after his pro day Mayfield. The position players are Barkley, Chub, Nelson, and Fitspatrick. If one of the QB's is still there we will be able to trade back. If they are gone which of the players wouldn't you take if they were still available?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
Vea is an interesting consideration. You look at him and think he's just a plugger at NT, but he can move and has experience two-gapping (if not the consistent discipline to do it every down).

I don't know if he has the length to survive at 5-tech, but he could be a freaking monster at 5T opposite Hicks. Of course he could also be Danny Shelton 2.0, who knows. But his athletic gifts have to put hi in the conversation.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
Vea is an interesting consideration. You look at him and think he's just a plugger at NT, but he can move and has experience two-gapping (if not the consistent discipline to do it every down).

I don't know if he has the length to survive at 5-tech, but he could be a freaking monster at 5T opposite Hicks. Of course he could also be Danny Shelton 2.0, who knows. But his athletic gifts have to put hi in the conversation.
I feel like 6’5 is plenty of length.