After todays signings...R1 draft thoughts

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

The more I think about it, the more I believe it has to be Tremaine Edmunds. At worst, he's an elite talent at MLB (keyword: talent). At best? A versatile EDGE rusher that not only can get after the passer but can drop into coverage and carry RBs up the sidelines with ease. That's the move if I'm calling the shots.

Nelson is a luxury that we currently do not have. I sincerely hope that young man gets picked before #8.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

Edmunds is head and shoulders above our other options for me. Even if he doesn't transition to an edge rusher, being able to dream of the next great Chicago linebacker activates my salivary glands!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

Umbali wrote:
McCblaz wrote:I'm confused...you said you want an edge rusher but you mocked Edwards at 8...you do know he's not an edge guy right? Also..not that it's important, but he has shown ZERO ability to rush off the edge.

Harold Landry at 8..
Actually I meant Edmunds. I could have sworn I remembered reading that he could rush off the edge and that with his skill set he needs refinement.

I am not advocating for anyone because I dont feel I know enough. I was saying Edmunds because I have seen so many sites mock him to us.
I’m having a really hard time trying to find any plays of Edmunds putting pressure on a qb off the edge 1 on 1 against an OT. His sacks last year came on overload blitzes and spying the QB in the middle of the field.

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedRaggedCoyote

https://gfycat.com/AromaticLameDanishswedishfarmdog

https://gfycat.com/LightheartedAjarFlea

https://gfycat.com/FlippantRipeBovine

To me, this is not a guy who needs refinement at edge, more so a guy who needs to learn how to be an edge rusher from scratch.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think he’s a middle linebacker, but some articles speculated with his size and athleticism that he could be taught to be an edge rusher.

I think if we take him he’ll primarily play in he middle. Maybe situationally move outside.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

There aren’t many guys that do everything an NFL 3-4 OLB does when they’re in college. Most guys gotta learn to read and cover, he will have to learn to rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I want OL..... Or the biggest IMPACT BPA. Be it CB, LB...
wab
Mod

Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
SC Bear
Journeyman

As I see it today the first 8 to be drafted will be Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and after his pro day Mayfield. The position players are Barkley, Chub, Nelson, and Fitspatrick. If one of the QB's is still there we will be able to trade back. If they are gone which of the players wouldn't you take if they were still available?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
Vea is an interesting consideration. You look at him and think he's just a plugger at NT, but he can move and has experience two-gapping (if not the consistent discipline to do it every down).

I don't know if he has the length to survive at 5-tech, but he could be a freaking monster at 5T opposite Hicks. Of course he could also be Danny Shelton 2.0, who knows. But his athletic gifts have to put hi in the conversation.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:Edmunds, Vea, Davenport, Nelson. I’m good with any of those guys.
Vea is an interesting consideration. You look at him and think he's just a plugger at NT, but he can move and has experience two-gapping (if not the consistent discipline to do it every down).

I don't know if he has the length to survive at 5-tech, but he could be a freaking monster at 5T opposite Hicks. Of course he could also be Danny Shelton 2.0, who knows. But his athletic gifts have to put hi in the conversation.
I feel like 6’5 is plenty of length.
IotaNet
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:There aren’t many guys that do everything an NFL 3-4 OLB does when they’re in college. Most guys gotta learn to read and cover, he will have to learn to rush.
... and who better to teach him than Fangio & company?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

SC Bear wrote:As I see it today the first 8 to be drafted will be Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and after his pro day Mayfield. The position players are Barkley, Chub, Nelson, and Fitspatrick. If one of the QB's is still there we will be able to trade back. If they are gone which of the players wouldn't you take if they were still available?
Those players in order, for me:

Barkley
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Nelson
malk
Head Coach

I'm not sure I still see 4 QBs in the top 8 now.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'm not sure I still see 4 QBs in the top 8 now.
I was going through that last night and started to get a little worried.

Truthfully, these teams need a QB in one way or another:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona
NY Jets

Should be fun to see how this all plays out... one the one hand I'd be thrilled to have 4 go in front of us. On the other hand... I wouldn't mind trading down with a QB starved team and robbing them of alllllllllll the picks.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona
NY Jets

Should be fun to see how this all plays out... one the one hand I'd be thrilled to have 4 go in front of us. On the other hand... I wouldn't mind trading down with a QB starved team and robbing them of alllllllllll the picks.
I'm not sure how much of a heist you can pull off from 8 though? I'd take 2019 picks though. Maybe from someone like the Cardinals, if Bradford goes down they could end up being decently high.

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona
NY Jets

G08 -

I just read your signature (I have been looking away from that annoying gif) and I see you have my dream R1/R2 scenario laid out. My question is, do you think McGlinchey will be around for us to pick at #39?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona
NY Jets

G08 -

I just read your signature (I have been looking away from that annoying gif) and I see you have my dream R1/R2 scenario laid out. My question is, do you think McGlinchey will be around for us to pick at #39?
I'd read mixed opinions on the guy so it's tough to say. To be honest I think we have a much bigger need at OG/C than we do at swing tackle... unless the idea is to stash this kid for a year and have him take over for Massie in 2019. Might be smarter to find that kid in round 4.