Quenton Nelson wants to be a bear he says

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

chittybengbeng
Rookie

I heard over and over he's nasty af, and just has that alpha personality but I just can't get behind a freakin gaurd with a top ten pick. Bet we draft him though because we got rid of sitton and have no depth. I guess I will be just okay with it as long as Trubisky turns into a elite QB. Would rather have a guy that makes plays with a 1st round pick, you know? Someone that actually touches the ball?
EricTighe
MVP

Here is the thing that your missing though. One great O-lineman makes everything better if you doubt this look at our stats with a healthy Long, and then with a hurt Long, compared to no Long at all. We have dismissed the O-line for far to long. If he is there and the potential is HOF then there is no argument for not taking him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

By all accounts, Nelson never gets to #8.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:By all accounts, Nelson never gets to #8.
They say that every year though. He still plays an under/not valued position. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
They say that every year though. He still plays an under/not valued position. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
I'll add that if the anticipated run on QBs happens it is very possible 4 QBs are picked before the Bears. Barkley and Chubb would still likely go before Nelson. Nelson can easily fall. It will be frustrating if its like the year Aaron Donald went one pick before the Bears. In other words Nelson is at this point would be my favorite pick at eight.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
WagonForce
MVP

staleystarch wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
I'll add that if the anticipated run on QBs happens it is very possible 4 QBs are picked before the Bears. Barkley and Chubb would still likely go before Nelson. Nelson can easily fall. It will be frustrating if its like the year Aaron Donald went one pick before the Bears. In other words Nelson is at this point would be my favorite pick at eight.
The Donald and Williams pattern continues this year in my opinion. If Nelson does fall to #7, I think the Bucs take him.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

WagonForce wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
The Donald and Williams pattern continues this year in my opinion. If Nelson does fall to #7, I think the Bucs take him.
The saving grace here is the Bucs biggest need after DL is CB and Fitzpatrick should still be sitting there for them at 7.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Who do you see taking him? I think it's even money as to whether he'll be there or not. Tampa, Indy and Denver are sitting there and I can see either one taking him. Cleveland also has two picks, but one of those is Barkley and very likely a QB.

I don't discount any of the talk about Nelson. Everybody that supports him is right about what they're saying. However I just see a dominant pass rusher as a bigger difference maker than an OG. Especially at 8 overall.
Umbali
MVP

Most elite QBs never make it to Elite without decent to good protection.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’d be ok with Nelson. It’s never exciting drafting an offensive lineman, but if we can keep Long healthy we could be downright dominant inside.

Chubb will be gone, so I think my second choice would be to try to trade down a few spots to the early teens for Landry.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Right now, a lot of mocks have Nelson going to Indy. The Colts OL has been AWFUL for the last few years, and its getting their franchise QB killed.
EricTighe
MVP

Good thing most Mocks are wrong :)

Nelson is the most logical choice.

Potentially the best player in the draft that goes with our hugest need. Seems to perfect not to happen.

Until Kyle Long plays a full season again we really can't assume this year he will. But when he is healthy our offense moves the ball even when the defenses knew what we are doing.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think I want it to just be Nelson because these pass rushers are pissing me off. I'm probably being nit-picky but I can find a flaw in every one of them that makes me not like them at 8.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I think I want it to just be Nelson because these pass rushers are pissing me off. I'm probably being nit-picky but I can find a flaw in every one of them that makes me not like them at 8.
Same. Hell, I'm even leaning towards Ward if Nelson is gone. I just keep picking all these pass rushers apart and would rather them rotate Lynch, Acho, and Floyd and take a developmental guy in the 4th.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I think I want it to just be Nelson because these pass rushers are pissing me off. I'm probably being nit-picky but I can find a flaw in every one of them that makes me not like them at 8.
Same. Hell, I'm even leaning towards Ward if Nelson is gone. I just keep picking all these pass rushers apart and would rather them rotate Lynch, Acho, and Floyd and take a developmental guy in the 4th.
I'm going to start digging into the later-round dudes more, but just at first glance none of them really blow me away. Might be nice if we hit on the Lynch acquisition.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
I'm going to start digging into the later-round dudes more, but just at first glance none of them really blow me away. Might be nice if we hit on the Lynch acquisition.
Outside of the top 2 rounds, here's 10 guys I like (in no particular order):

Kemoko Turay
Dorance Armstrong
Davin Bellamy
Marcell Frazier
Jaylon Ferguson
Ja'Von Rolland-Jones
Justin Lawler
Walter Brady
Trevon Young (pending medical stuff)
Jeff Holland
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I love Armstrong on Day 3. He's got flaws (they all have flaws), but he's long, agile, productive, and young (21 in June). Speed is his biggest shortcoming (and it's definitely a shortcoming).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Good thing most Mocks are wrong :)

Potentially the best player in the draft that goes with our hugest need. Seems to perfect not to happen.

Until Kyle Long plays a full season again we really can't assume this year he will. But when he is healthy our offense moves the ball even when the defenses knew what we are doing.
Make no mistake. Quentin Nelson is my 1A pick at #8. I just don't think he gets there.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
G08
Hall of Famer

Kemoko Turay is interesting....
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
EricTighe wrote:Good thing most Mocks are wrong :)

Make no mistake. Quentin Nelson is my 1A pick at #8. I just don't think he gets there.
Wouldn't be shocked if the Bears move up one or two spots to get him if he is still there. Really wouldn't want to loose any picks over it, but he makes the most sense for the Bears and it's obvious Pace has no problem doing such a thing.