Trade down with Miami?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This seems like a quite possible potential deal if one of the top 4 QBs is there at 8 to trade back to 11 for Miami's 3rd rounder, pick 73. Why I think so...

1. Gase has not had much success in Miami and Ryan Tannehill--inherited by Gase--has not been very impressive.
2. Ryan Pace wants to recoup the 3rd round pick he traded away for Biscuit.
3. According to the old PVC, that's overpaying a by the cost of a lower R4 pick, but when it's for a QB, they should be motivated.
4. It's only trading back 3 picks, so it's not like Pace will miss out on the moon and stars.
5. Sure Miami could wait and the 2 teams between us who don't need QBs, but with R1 QBs trade ups are always possible and if they want one of the top 4, they need to be pro-active. They may very well be competing with other competition (Buffalo? Arizona?) for pick 8 for Mayfield or whoever it is.

Does this sound realistic? Would you do it?
Last edited by Mikefive on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

It depends, of course, on who's still on the board. I think there are four guys I'd take before trading down, Chubb, Edmunds, Barkley, and Fitzpatrick. If those guys are gone, sure make the deal.

I wouldn't make the deal early though, it would have to be while we're on the clock.
UOK
Site Admin

http://walterfootball.com/OpenRant/Published/861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walter Football proposed something similar.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

One thing that Pace has shown over the last few years, is that he knows who HIS guy is. He's not going to sacrifice the change to draft his player for an extra 3rd round pick. If Pace is on the clock, and has the indications that his guy will still be there at #11, then maybe. But Pace will know who he wants in the first round on draft day, and he won't miss the chance at getting him.