Bears Team Needs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I figure we have not really discussed the Bears positional needs.

Below is the Bears roster with the PFF grades. My opinion is they clearly need at least a 5T, Edge, OG. They need depth in corner, safety, IT, ILB.

Bears Roster
G08
Hall of Famer

It's asking for access my dude
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Glaring needs:

1. OG/C. Whitehair is very good. Long is very good, if healthy, which has been a big if for 2 years. Beyond that, I really don't have a lot of faith that what we have at OG/C and I feel there's a significant dropoff. And I have zero faith in Grasu at C.

2. Edge/OLB. Floyd is pretty good and still improving, but oft-injured. But after that Aaron Lynch has hope but has never proven to be that much. Next you get Sam Acho who can do some things, but can't get to the QB. And beyond that, it's a wasteland.

3. DE. Neither RRH nor Bullard have done much and we may be taking a step back from mediocre former starter Mitch Unrein. We're really going on hope with either of those guys. Sure would be nice to get a stronger presence in there.

Depth needs:

4. WR. Robinson should be fine if his knee holds up, which is a small question mark. We all know Kevin White's propensity for injury, although 3 broken bones are just bizarre. Some chance he can stay healthy, but you'd have to question it at this point. Gabriel has never really been a starter and is a 165# guy, not someone who will be out there every play. And after that it's a STs guy. #5 is Gentry who showed nothing in real games. If we get multiple injuries like we did the last 2 years, this position will be another disaster.

5. OT. We're OK with Leno and Massie. But after that, we could be in trouble. And Massie is a FA in 2019.

6. S. Amos and Jackson look good. But after that are 3 draftees who have done absolutely nothing in their opportunities. We could use more promise among the backups and I expect some turnover there.

7. CB. We're good with Fuller and Amukamara. Is Cooper the right fit for the slot? After that we have LeBlanc who flashes at times, but also gets burnt. Right now, I think we'll miss Bryce Callahan.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Should be fixed G08

Obviously PFF isn't the perfect system, but I think it's easily noticeable the depth problems. If you add injury and consistency issues the roster is borderline good, with glaring issues.
docc
Head Coach

Jaleel Scott, WR, New Mexico State (6-5, 218, 4.56)
Z Bear
MVP

Mike hit most of the list, but I would replace CB with LB. Kwit nor Trevathon played 16 games last year, which means Timu or Anderson would have to start! At CB you have Cooper on the outside backing up Prince and Fuller, then you have Callahan and LeBlanc for the slot. Throw in emergency CB Sherrick McManus and you already have 6 CBs on the roster. I would rather replace Anderson or Timu over one of the CBs listed above this season.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Did we not tender Bryce Callahan? I think we did and nobody has given him an offer sheet he signed yet.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:Did we not tender Bryce Callahan? I think we did and nobody has given him an offer sheet he signed yet.
teams have until april 20th to sign him to an offer sheet.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I updated the roster with the approximate value metric. And color coded it. While it's not exact because professionally scores have different approximate values, I just standardized it. An example is QB score much higher then linemen like average being 15 to 7. However it's just cleaner this way.

Then I non mathematically averaged the PFF score with the AV score and color coded the player. The legend explains the color. That way a guy like Bullard who didn't play much isn't getting a better score then he should.

I think it's a fairly accurate assessment of the roster. Terrible depth, mostly average starters.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:Mike hit most of the list, but I would replace CB with LB. Kwit nor Trevathon played 16 games last year, which means Timu or Anderson would have to start! At CB you have Cooper on the outside backing up Prince and Fuller, then you have Callahan and LeBlanc for the slot. Throw in emergency CB Sherrick McManus and you already have 6 CBs on the roster. I would rather replace Anderson or Timu over one of the CBs listed above this season.
It's funny, I initially had ILB on the list. But at the last minute, I left them off as I figured even if we do nothing I think we're OK with DT, Kwit and Timu. And I did miss on Callahan. I thought he got signed elsewhere. My bad.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think it's fairly obvious the needs are...

Guard
- Kush has only been a backup, and recently injured. Watford/Morgan inspire little confidence depth wise.

Edge
-Lynch is a castoff but atleast Acho is serviceable depth.

5T
-Bullard has never started, and not really showed much. Same for REG.

WR
- The 3rd WR is basically a starter. White can't be counted on, and Bellamy is the 4th.

It's easy to see each position group is filled with an unproven, recently injured, player. Each position also has no depth.

The depth / want category include...

ILB
-DT and Kwit are not always available. Timu is not good.

DB
-The starters inspire confidence, but depth is shaky.

OT
-Average starters no depth.
cblaz11
MVP

For me, our immediate needs in order are Edge rusher, OG, WR, and DE. After that, we gotta add depth at safety, ILB, oline, and dline.

I'm good at QB, RB, TE, and CB.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

CB is a tough one. Fuller and Prince both have injured parts. Cooper has not been good. Callahan is always hurt. Frenchy is a slot guy. When healthy it's a good group. It feels like a stiff breeze could break them all
cblaz11
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:CB is a tough one. Fuller and Prince both have injured parts. Cooper has not been good. Callahan is always hurt. Frenchy is a slot guy. When healthy it's a good group. It feels like a stiff breeze could break them all

That, along with the fact that we don't have make it or break it contracts as motivation to stay on the field.