Anybody else think we'll end up with a R3 pick?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm crazy. But I'll say that I think the odds are greater than 50% that we'll end up with a R3 selection. (But I'm not laying any $$$ down. :-P )

It's entirely possible that we get one with a trade down. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see us trade our 2 4ths or a 4 and a 5 to move up into R3 and Pace has a history with trade ups. R3 seems like it should have some decent talent left and Pace may want to jump on that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

It really depends on how the draft shakes out and players that we are targeting. For me, I'd go:

1. Marcus Davenport
2. Billy Price or another iOL
3. Who would we want here that we couldn't find in round 4? Corner? ILB? WR?

If we trade both our 4ths, we could move up as high as 88 or 89. Maybe do that and draft Josey Jewell? But then we don't pick again until 145.

Maybe Pace will drop down a bit in round 2, pick up ANOTHER 4th round pick, and then make some moves.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I said it before in another thread, but I'd wager fans care about not having a 3rd round pick more than the Bears do. What is important to the Bears is that they have a full slate of picks. NFL teams trust their scouting, and my guess is that they feel they can get a similarly talented player with that extra 4th round pick.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:I said it before in another thread, but I'd wager fans care about not having a 3rd round pick more than the Bears do. What is important to the Bears is that they have a full slate of picks. NFL teams trust their scouting, and my guess is that they feel they can get a similarly talented player with that extra 4th round pick.
There's no fan base in sports more obsessed with value, I swear. Most Bears fans all feel they are the master of the deal, and that very few occasions result in the Bears getting the most bang for the buck.

I agree with the sentiment of spreading value out and being conservative over aggressive, but it's become such a banal, obtuse form of criticism that I'm numb to it these days.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:I'm crazy. But I'll say that I think the odds are greater than 50% that we'll end up with a R3 selection. (But I'm not laying any $$$ down. :-P )

It's entirely possible that we get one with a trade down. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see us trade our 2 4ths or a 4 and a 5 to move up into R3 and Pace has a history with trade ups. R3 seems like it should have some decent talent left and Pace may want to jump on that.
Pace seems to like to trade up in the first to get his guy, then recoup picks by trading back later.

I could see him trading back in the second and tossing in one of the 4ths to get a 3rd, yeah.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I said it before in another thread, but I'd wager fans care about not having a 3rd round pick more than the Bears do. What is important to the Bears is that they have a full slate of picks. NFL teams trust their scouting, and my guess is that they feel they can get a similarly talented player with that extra 4th round pick.
I did preface the topic by saying I was crazy. :lol:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Perhaps, but everyone including Pace can see the talent in certain positions had a sharp drop off there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I see us standing pat unless someone drops at a position we currently do not need. Being RB or QB. If that happens then I could see them dealing and adding picks, not necessarily the third round but adding picks in the top 1/2 of the draft.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Right now I can see picking up a 3rd as part of what we would get in dropping down from the #8 spot. I am not predicting we trade our number 8 or want us to for that matter.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
EricTighe
MVP

1. If 4 or 5 QB's go in the top half of the draft like everyone is predicting it will make us take BPA. (heard Brooks. Kiper and Sheftrner all say that the first 5 picks could be QB's with a bunch of trades maybe happening, Rumors) I personally see 2 QB's going in the top 5 Browns (Darnold forget the rumors the owner of the Browns sat with his family during his workouts) and Jets (who knows there track record with QB's is worst then ours and that saying a mouth full.) Guessing it will be Allen.

2. If only 2 or 3 go early then a trade down would seem very likely since then all the position players will be gone.

Then again if scenario 2 happens Pace may get itchy and trade up for his guy, who ever that may be.