What if Pace trades up again?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Pace has done so in R1 the last 2 years. Yes, lacking a R3 pick means were short of capital to make that move. But it can be done.

What type of trade up scenarios would make you...
a) thrilled?
b) satisfied?
c) unhappy?
d) furious?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I could see Pace moving up from 8 to 6 if Chubb is there, we should be able to pull it off if we swap out #39 for #49 and give up #105 and #181.

So it winds up being Chubb, #49, #115, #145 and #224.

I don't love it... I guess C
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:I could see Pace moving up from 8 to 6 if Chubb is there, we should be able to pull it off if we swap out #39 for #49 and give up #105 and #181.

So it winds up being Chubb, #49, #115, #145 and #224.

I don't love it... I guess C
UOK
Site Admin

If Pace trades up again and takes a player that would’ve plausibly been there at 8, people will rage online and demand his firing.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:If Pace trades up again and takes a player that would’ve plausibly been there at 8, people will rage online and demand his firing.
Bears trade with the Broncos to select Daron Payne.

malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:If Pace trades up again and takes a player that would’ve plausibly been there at 8, people will rage online and demand his firing.
Did someone call?

Kidding, I'll just rage and be sad, no calls for sacking on a pick that can't be evaluated for years.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
EricTighe
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
Bears trade with the Broncos to select Daron Payne.

In 4 years we would have gotten the best player in this draft. Baring an injury future HOF. I don't say that often.
I know I am crazy just like I was with a bunch of other guys.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

You're that high on him? I think he is a good player. I don't think HOF. In a 3T position I think he could be success full. He is strong and athletic. At times he dominates gaps. He is strong enough to control gaps. I just can't say he is better on the same plan as you.
wab
Mod

Payne is the best player in the draft?

*quits
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I still think Payne is the best DT in this draft but umm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Payne is the best player in the draft?

*quits
Pretty much, yeah.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He did say he is crazy. Eric i think you should put this prediction in your signature.
WagonForce
MVP

It would depend on who the Bears selected, but I would likely be C (Unhappy).

Then again, with both Biscuit and Floyd I felt the same way on draft day and after I had time to process the moves I came around on them. So probably C to start with and B after time to digest.

My philosophy is that evaluating players for the draft is hard. Having more shots has almost always seemed preferable to me. The only scenarios where I agree with trading up, generally speaking, are:

- You need a QB (all bets are off with this position, it's that important)
- You're already loaded with talented players and having a star at one position is more valuable than having multiple good players instead, as you can only get 11 on the field at one time.

I don't see either of these scenarios applying to the Bears right now.
EricTighe
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:He did say he is crazy. Eric i think you should put this prediction in your signature.
Maybe Crazy Right ;)

I have been crazy a few times. Like when I wanted Urlacher and everyone on the Bears board wanted Burress or some safety( can't remember who it was). Was called crazy in my evaluations of Polomula, Tomlinson, Donald Beasley and so on.

I am used to it. But for some unknown reason usually right in my top player assessments.

The reason I keep going back to Payne is simple. Only 2 guys I watched this year playing college football stood out every damn time they played. In other words when the game was over you remembered that guy played in the game and stood out. One was Payne and the other was MLB Roquan Smith. The only reason Payne is dropping is simple. He is a bull rusher without a lot of moves that wins 90% of the time by sure will. He never stops and is probably the strongest guy in the draft and will be one of the strongest in the NFL on day one. Since he is what he is and there seems no where to go up this tends to drop guys down a bit. Donald dropped due to his height or lack of it and supposedly could not play in a 3-4 scheme cause of it. Once the Rams switched to a 3-4 he won Defensive player of the year. I will agree D-line is not a big position of need but with him there is no bust to his label (Unless hurt). He will come in and do exactly what he did in college which is demand double teams to free up our LB's to make plays all over the field. This makes him the safest pick in the first round and I still believe after watching all the top prospects the best player in the draft period. Not to worry I will be proven right in 4 years if it takes that long.

I do love Edmunds since I would love to see another Urlacher roaming the middle of the field again. Smith is intriguing as well just not sure with the way he finishes plays with such explosion if his body can hold up to the punishment of the NFL. Reminds me of Trevathon.