2018 NFL Draft // Rolling Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:If the Bears' top draft pick isn't an offensive tackle, I'll give everyone here a nickel.
I heard them saying similar on the radio.

What indicates that he's such an OT guy?

I am, too, but I don't want to see a big reach in a draft where there probably aren't any elite ones.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Trading down from 8 for #21 and #22 sounds kind of appealing...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:If a true #1 receiver wasn't a priority before it is now that Nagy is the HC.

They have the cap room to land one and a very competent second.
The Chiefs #1 WR was a TE and they managed to make it work pretty well.
Hematite
Player of the Month

We need somebody to take the top off the defense in that situation.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:If the Bears' top draft pick isn't an offensive tackle, I'll give everyone here a nickel.
I heard them saying similar on the radio.

What indicates that he's such an OT guy?
Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Rhymes with “Quenton Nelson”.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Nelson looks like an awesome awesome guard and would be a great replacement for Sitton but I haven't seen good tape of him working out in space against a speed guy. Nagy likes to run 401 packages so the OT's are out on their own... you're confident he can do it?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:Nelson looks like an awesome awesome guard and would be a great replacement for Sitton but I haven't seen good tape of him working out in space against a speed guy. Nagy likes to run 401 packages so the OT's are out on their own... you're confident he can do it?
I think he’s a guard in Nagy’s offense. But yeah, I think he can.
G08
Hall of Famer

Are there any UFAs that we think can upgrade Bobbie Massie and allow us to use the #8 pick elsewhere?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:Are there any UFAs that we think can upgrade Bobbie Massie and allow us to use the #8 pick elsewhere?
Nate Solder might be available. Not sure if we’d be interested in him.
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like Nelson, but a top 10 guard is implausible no matter the talent. Also, there are several Guards scheduled to be a FA, who are well established, that would allow us to go in another direction at 8:

Xavier Su'a-Filo
Senio Kelemete
Jonathan Cooper
Andrew Norwell
Marcus Martin
Patrick Omameh
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Patrick Omameh
Get out.

:wink:

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Patrick Omameh
Get out.
:wink:
Believe it or not, he's looked fairly good in Jacksonville.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

With how important/highly paid guards have become, I don't think it's all that improbable.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Are there any UFAs that we think can upgrade Bobbie Massie and allow us to use the #8 pick elsewhere?
There's a lot of bad out there (Greg Robinson and Bobby Hart) and pre-injured guys (Justin Pugh) but maybe a few guys who might fit the Pace "ascending player" mold.

Ulrick John, GNB (26 in May) — Colts 7th rounder in 2014. Had decent measurables back then. He's been on three different teams' practice squad.
James Hurst, BAL (26 last December) — UDFA in 2014 after breaking his leg. Pro day measurables were bad, but I thought he had potential as a senior and North Carolina.
Chris Hubbard, PIT (27 in April) — UDFA in 2013. Decent measurables. Has played all over the line with mediocre results.
Austin Pasztor, ATL (27 last November) — UDFA in 2012. Pretty good measurables. Has some starting experience with the Browns and has played some guard as well.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah... I think I throw money at Fuller, a speed WR, and a pass rusher in FA.

Taking my highest rated OL/RT in round 1, and BPA in round 2 (another WR perhaps).

wab
Mod

If Hiestand comes back, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Nelson or McGlinchey drafted at 8.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Don't like McGlinchey all that much, I think he's overrated and looks like he's strictly a RT in the NFL.

I like him as a RT prospect but I don't see any upside for him going to LT later in his career. I think Nelson is an elite guard prospect and I see McGlinchey has an above average RT prospect. Rather take the player that will be elite at his position (even if it's guard).
Last edited by DaSuperfan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

staleystarch wrote:If the Bears go WR with pick 8 I prefer Cortand Sutton over Christian Kirk. I know there are some good sub 6 foot WR in the league, Antonio Brown just one example. Still, I prefer big WRs in the end zone. Cortland Sutton fits that bill.
Now that Nagy has come in and intends to run more spread I’ve changed my preference to Christian Kirk. Speed fits the new system more than a big guy with a big wingspan who can fight CBs for the ball. We’ll still have Shaheen close in in a crowded end zone.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Don't like McGlinchey all that much, I think he's overrated and looks like he's strictly a RT in the NFL.

I like him as a RT prospect but I don't see any upside for him going to LT later in his career. I think Nelson is an elite guard prospect and I see McGlinchey has an above average RT prospect. Rather take the player that will be elite at his position (even if it's guard).
I was hoping with some of the early season talk about him, he would be a top tier LT. He seems to have a delayed reaction time compared to others. That is how he gets beat up field by speed. Technique wise he is solid until he is beat. Physically he has an ideal frame. He moves well enough. But getting out of his stance he is a split second late to often.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

staleystarch wrote:
staleystarch wrote:If the Bears go WR with pick 8 I prefer Cortand Sutton over Christian Kirk. I know there are some good sub 6 foot WR in the league, Antonio Brown just one example. Still, I prefer big WRs in the end zone. Cortland Sutton fits that bill.
Now that Nagy has come in and intends to run more spread I’ve changed my preference to Christian Kirk. Speed fits the new system more than a big guy with a big wingspan who can fight CBs for the ball. We’ll still have Shaheen close in in a crowded end zone.
Kirk is my guy in R2. But doubt he gets that far. If we trade with Buffalo and get their 21-22 picks, I'd go for Landry and Kirk back to back.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Matt Miller's first mock of the season is out. He did 2 rounds. Had us taking:

Connor Williams OT Texas
DJ Moore WR Maryland

Watching tape on Moore gets me excited about him, he has the speed and playmaking ability the Bears will be looking for. I'm still on the fence about Connor Williams. He looks like he's got some short arms for an OT, we'll find out more during the combine measurements. He also seems like he has a lot to prove coming off an MCL injury. I think I would have preferred an edge rusher like Landry instead.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... re=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top 5 WR's based on metrics/analytics
has a 30 second intro to skip past at, not just a youtube commercial...
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Interesting, but it was done way back in May, using 2016 production. Adding in 2017 ought to change the story significantly.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Interesting, but it was done way back in May, using 2016 production. Adding in 2017 ought to change the story significantly.
Dogs. I shoulda known better to check on the date.

Anywho, Gallup is listed in PFF as the top WR this past season for production. It'll be interesting to see where guys are ranked after this year is added in
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Player I keep seeing people talk about, and someone i really want to see at the Senior Bowl and combine is OLB/DE Marcus Davenport of UTSA.

The latest Stick to Football podcast has him as a top 15 pick and I've seen others talk about him as having a Bruce Irvin like rise leading up to the draft.

6'7" 255 pounds and ultra productive at UTSA. By the time April rolls around he may be in the running at #8.

From Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago:
You might have never heard of the guy I had to keep moving up. I mentioned UTSA edge rusher Marcus Davenport—a 6' 7" freak of a receiver-turned-pass rusher—a few weeks back. I didn’t have him in my early November mock. I put him at the end of the first round in the initial list I put together this time around, and then multiple execs told me he’s not getting out of the Top 15. I wound up putting him at 14, behind only Chubb among rushers, and Davenport clearly has a chance to rise higher.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

Trade down with the Bills and give me Landry and Kirk.

wab
Mod

I think Brian O'Neill is the first OT off the board. I'm upset that Kiper scooped me.