Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Landry at 8???
:puke:

Wouldn’t surprise me. He’s arguably the best pure pass rusher in the draft. He had some truly elite testing numbers.
Only thing keeping him out of the Mack/Miller realm, at least from a measurements-standpoint, is arm length and broad jump.
Arm length is valid. Broad jump... meh. It shows explosion, but it's one of those measurements that can be a little misleading.
Thank you for that, I never knew how to interpret broad jump. I knew it dealt with explosion but how does it show up on the field.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Wouldn’t surprise me. He’s arguably the best pure pass rusher in the draft. He had some truly elite testing numbers.
Only thing keeping him out of the Mack/Miller realm, at least from a measurements-standpoint, is arm length and broad jump.
Arm length is valid. Broad jump... meh. It shows explosion, but it's one of those measurements that can be a little misleading.
Thank you for that, I never knew how to interpret broad jump. I knew it dealt with explosion but how does it show up on the field.
More or less, explosion doesn't mean dick if you can't bend the edge or have more pass moves than a bull rush. Explosion or "get off" as they call it is important enough in the first couple steps, because the offensive lineman has to adjust and figure out what's going on. So the faster the get off, the less reaction time the O-lineman has. But if that's all you got, the O-lineman (if he's good enough) can catch up.

Explosion + Speed + Hands + rush moves = good edge rusher. But explosion in and of itself isn't terribly important.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

More or less, explosion doesn't mean dick if you can't bend the edge or have more pass moves than a bull rush. Explosion or "get off" as they call it is important enough in the first couple steps, because the offensive lineman has to adjust and figure out what's going on. So the faster the get off, the less reaction time the O-lineman has. But if that's all you got, the O-lineman (if he's good enough) can catch up.

Explosion + Speed + Hands + rush moves = good edge rusher. But explosion in and of itself isn't terribly important.
You are ignoring the fact that explosion is a critical ingredient in speed to power conversion.
wab
Mod

And what is speed-to-power without the other stuff? Explosion is an important element. But the fact that Landry doesn't have the same broad jump as Mack is inconsequential.