R2, P51: Anthony Miller, WR - Memphis

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

A Memphis product, Miller not only excelled at football in high school, but was also a state 110-meter hurdle champion and was a runner-up in the long jump. That athleticism didn't get on the field for the Tigers in 2013 (redshirted, winning the team's award for top scout player on offense) or 2014 (pre-season injury). Miller played in 12 games, starting four, when given the chance in 2015. He caught 47 passes for 694 yards and five touchdowns. Once Riley Ferguson came to campus, Miller was able to use his deep speed, strong hands, and physicality to their full potential. He was a second-team All-American Athletic Conference pick in his junior year, making 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Ultra-competitive and highly productive, Miller plays with a chip on his shoulder that has driven him to out-work the man across from him. While he played both inside and out for Memphis, some teams could struggle with figuring out his best fit. His inconsistent hands are definitely a concern, but his ability to get open and to work all three levels of the field increase his chances for success as a WR3.

STRENGTHS

Rapid-fire stutter steps and head fakes defeat outside and inside leverage
Effective setting up route-stems
Accelerates out of cuts creating throwing window
Scratches and claws over top of press and has early quickness to stack them
Can work inside or outside and has been effective on all three levels
Former walk-on with elevated level of competitiveness
Field fast throughout the route
Top notch ball tracker whose focus sharpens down the field
Body adjustments to haul in challenging catches is excellent
Works with scrambling quarterbacks
Slick with his feet near the sideline
Creates yardage after the catch

WEAKNESSES

Short stepper
Pops straight up before breaking route off and could be challenged by zone corners looking to disrupt his momentum with redirects
Routes carry wasted motion with excessive arm and upper body action
Might be quicker than fast
Outstanding focus on deep throws turns into shoddy concentration on short ones
Will drop and double catch simple, short throws
Ball security is a concern after the catch with five career fumbles
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Saw this guy in person at the Liberty Bowl back in December.

Love, love, love this pick.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

Woah.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Love the pick....hate giving up the 19 rd. 2 pick. hmmmmm.
wab
Mod

Not a huge fan of the pick. Thought pass rusher was more important but I understand it given White’s issues.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Not a huge fan of the pick. Thought pass rusher was more important but I understand it given White’s issues.

They must really like Lynch.

Love Anthony Miller though. Tough SOB who makes some great catches and feasted on bubble screens.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I prefer James Washington. I get the pick he does fit the scheme.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Miller is a stud love him.
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Miller was the 6th overall on my board and 5th over all athletically. He has high a RPM when running allowing him to accelerate and desperate quickly. Catches the ball well. Runs crisp routes. Though didn't run a wide variety.
G08
Hall of Famer

What the hell is going on!! I had to pull over at a taco bell truck stop so I could get caught up with all the action!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:What the hell is going on!! I had to pull over at a taco bell truck stop so I could get caught up with all the action!
Oh the Bears drafted Anthony "Shorter Cam Meredith" Miller.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This tells me that, all of the work that White is putting in, is going to go for nothing. It's possible that Nagy, or Pace have looked at his techniques/speed/quickness and decided that, even if he DOES stay healthy, he's not going to be a long term answer at the position. They are clearly cutting bait with him after this year.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:What the hell is going on!! I had to pull over at a taco bell truck stop so I could get caught up with all the action!
Sounds like a hell of a Friday night.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This tells me that, all of the work that White is putting in, is going to go for nothing. It's possible that Nagy, or Pace have looked at his techniques/speed/quickness and decided that, even if he DOES stay healthy, he's not going to be a long term answer at the position. They are clearly cutting bait with him after this year.

That’s fucking ridiculous. They know they can’t count on him at all. If he does break out great - but this has everything to do with his injury history and nothing to do with the work he’s putting in.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This tells me that, all of the work that White is putting in, is going to go for nothing. It's possible that Nagy, or Pace have looked at his techniques/speed/quickness and decided that, even if he DOES stay healthy, he's not going to be a long term answer at the position. They are clearly cutting bait with him after this year.

That’s fucking ridiculous. They know they can’t count on him at all. If he does break out great - but this has everything to do with his injury history and nothing to do with the work he’s putting in.
Sorry if I was unclear. That's not what I meant. I was just saying that Pace or Nagy have looked at White, and even if he does stay healthy, they are not encouraged by what they see. They know they can't count on him to stay healthy, but even if he was healthy for the entire 2018 season, they don't think he has the skills to be a successful receiver in the NFL. That's all I'm saying.
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

This
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

This
OK, OK. I get it. Jeez.

Miller has 10 5/8" hands for a guy that's less than 6' tall. WOW! Those are some huge mitts for a guy his size.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

This
Yeah I'm going to third this. Nagy looked at every WR in this draft (Pace's words) and then we made this move to get this kid. They wanted him, badly, and they would rather trade next year's second to get him in the offense with Mitch now than wait a year.

You see his hand size? Jesus fucking Christ.

Back to the road, enjoy the night dudes!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

This pick admittedly makes me dislike the Gabriel signing a bit.
Z Bear
MVP

Dam, cancelling my Bennie Fowler jersey order.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Z Bear wrote:Dam, cancelling my Bennie Fowler jersey order.
Well, at least wait till after training camp.... White might fracture his leg stretching in warmups....
wab
Mod

46Blitz wrote:
Well, at least wait till after training camp.... White might fracture his leg stretching in warmups....
How come?

Oh, I guess he’s been hurt. I didn’t realize that. Thanks for bringing it up.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This pick admittedly makes me dislike the Gabriel signing a bit.
Why? Gabriel is a Z burner, and I think Miller will probably work out of the slot. No?
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Miller apparently can play inside, outside, and slot. I don't think this pic is directly related to White, I just think they are looking for the best WR corp they can make around Mitch. If anyone, I think this pic is more of a threat to Gabriel next year and on.

I like the player a lot from what I read, but I really wish we had gone with Landry, Carter, or another edge. However, if Miller becomes a starter for us I will love it.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I like it. Only concerns are he’s 24 and periodically has the drops. Should be a good fit for the offense though.

As for next year’s pick... it will be #64 anyway, so not a huge deal. ;)
cblaz11
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Agree...let's not write White off, but let's not bank on him. This pick has nothing to do with his ability, it's all about his health and adding depth.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
How come?

Eye roll..... don't be a douche, your better than that.
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Agree...let's not write White off, but let's not bank on him. This pick has nothing to do with his ability, it's all about his health and adding depth.
Miller and White are also two different types of players.
wab
Mod

46Blitz wrote:
wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
How come?

Eye roll..... don't be a douche, your better than that.
Don’t make lazy posts. Your better than that.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

cblaz11 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Right. We knew they needed to still address the position anyway. It's about adding as much talent as possible to make it through the year. White will always be a question mark until he isn't. Robinson is a lock and Gabrielle will have his role. it will be interesting to see a camp battle between white and Miller. l look forward to see it pan out.