USC's May returning for Sr year

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mays will return to USC for senior seasonUpdated: January 13, 2009, 3:19 PM EST 14 comments add this RSS blog email Print LOS ANGELES (AP) - All-American safety Taylor Mays has decided to return to Southern California for his senior season rather than turn pro.

"There are a lot more things I want to accomplish as a player, a student and a person, things that I've dreamed about for a long time and that are big goals to me," Mays said in a statement issued by the school Tuesday. "Returning to USC will help me be the best player I can be and put me in the best position possible for the next level."

Mays, a three-year starter, was one of three finalists for the Thorpe Award as the country's top defensive back. Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State won the award.

"We're obviously delighted to learn of Taylor's decision," USC coach Pete Carroll said. "He's one of the most gifted safeties to ever play at USC and he wants to come back and do it one more time."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez, who passed for 413 yards and four touchdowns and ran for another score in No. 3 USC's 38-24 Rose Bowl victory over Penn State, still hasn't announced whether he'll return for his senior season or turn pro. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Thursday.

Tailback C.J. Gable said Monday he'll return to school. He'll be a fourth-year junior next season.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

:frustrated:
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

Damn.
G08
Hall of Famer

We didn't have a shot in hell at him anyway fellas...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

The part that pisses me off even more is it messes up my mock :D

That...and Rashad Johnson now moves up a spot behind Will Moore, so the chances of him lasting to our pick in round 2 are now very slim.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:We didn't have a shot in hell at him anyway fellas...
And we had no chance at Greg Olsen in 2007.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

imprint3454 wrote: And we had no chance at Greg Olsen in 2007.
All due respect...Taylor Mays and Greg Olsen are not in the same talent stratosphere. Mays is the best DB to play at USC. That includes some pretty impressive players.
G08
Hall of Famer

imprint3454 wrote: And we had no chance at Greg Olsen in 2007.
Touche... I did say we had no shot at Greg Olsen.

But honestly? No way Mays would have fallen to 18.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
ghost of halas
Practice Squad

wtf?

Mays has nothing to gain by staying at USC next year. His value as a safety won't get any higher...and he may be accepting a far inferior contract situation by staying another year. This doesn't make sense.

It also makes me wonder what Sanchez plans to do.
IE
Hall of Famer

Dang ... oh well ... now I guess I'm wanting to draft a DE!

GOH - I remember you. Welcome.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
ghost of halas
Practice Squad

IE wrote:Dang ... oh well ... now I guess I'm wanting to draft a DE!

GOH - I remember you. Welcome.
Thanks...its good to be around some knowledgeable fans again.
Fumblebuck
MVP

Mays has nothing to gain by staying at USC next year. His value as a safety won't get any higher...and he may be accepting a far inferior contract situation by staying another year. This doesn't make sense.
I don't understand why some players do this either. Its like cutting you NFL career one year short, not to mention your one twisted knee away from your first contract being a couple million lighter.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bradford staying in school as well, just read on foxsports.com.

You know maybe this kids, and they are kids, aren't ready for the pressure of playing pro ball. Maybe they just want to experience the college life one more year. I applaud them. shows more character IMO. It would be easy to take some guaranteed money and then be a bum (kind of like T Harris extension, Vasher).
wab
Mod

I got no problem with a kid wanting to stay in school for one more year...
Pagan
MVP

Agreed Wab- shows character. I'd rather land a player that stuck out all 4 years and graduated than draft a player who left early to ensure the biggest payday possible.
It's not like these kids dont have a million voices in their ears "advising" them what to do.

Hopefully the Bears are not in the possition to be able to draft this guy- but if they tank he's a player to look forward too I guess.

pagan