Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

[youtube][/youtube]

Position: DE
School & Year/Status: Florida State - Junior
Height & Weight: 6'4 - 252 lbs.

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Even when Everette Brown was a freshman and played a limited role on the defense, the defensive end was very productive. He only started three games as a freshman in 2006, but he managed to tally 13.5 tackles-for-loss and three sacks. As a sophomore Brown started nine games, mostly at left end. On top of his 37 tackles, Brown ended the year with 6.5 sacks and 11.5 tackles-for-loss. The 2008 season has gone pretty well for Florida State. The Seminoles have started the season 6-1 and the defense and Brown deserve a lot of credit. In those seven games, Brown (who has started every game so far in the 2008 season) is leading the team with 11.0 tackles for loss and 6.0 sacks.

That production has warranted some looks from NFL scouts. Brown has good size at 6-4 and 252 pounds, but he could stand to add some more strength. His speed and quickness are great assets, but he can get pushed around on occasion.

The good news is that Brown has room on his frame to add some more muscle and NFL teams should be willing to work with him since he has skills and instincts that cannot be taught. If Brown does declare early for the draft, and his junior year continues to go as well as it has so far, Brown could be a second round selection.

1/13 Update: Brown's 2008 collegiate season went so well that he is now a probable first-round selection. He ended the year with 13.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles-for-loss. Brown will take advantage of that success and he has declared early for the draft. If his combine numbers are as good as they should be, Brown will not last until the second round.

Prospect: Everette Brown, DE/OLB/Florida State
Ht: 6’4” Wt: 252 Forty: 4.65

Strengths: Unbelievable speed off the edge and is very quick off the line. Relentless in pursuit and has a non-stop motor. Uses a spin move that is almost impossible to block. Very good in play recognition and can dissect and locate the ball effectively. Good gap discipline. Great strength for his size. Does fairly well against double-teams.

Weaknesses: Not a liability in the run game but is not his strong point. May depend too heavily on the spin move to beat his man. Could struggle in pass coverage if converted to linebacker. Sometimes struggles with neutralizing blocks. May lack the size needed to be an every-down defensive end.

Summary: Everette Brown is an unbelievable pass rusher and his speed and quickness are on an elite level. His spin move is one of the most unblock able moves in the entire country. He has very good initial quicks and never gives up on a play. He is not the heaviest defensive end and struggles at times in stopping the run, possibility due to his smaller size. His bet fit would probably be as an Outside Linebacker in a 3-4 scheme where he could use his speed to drop into coverage and his monstrous pass rushing skills to consistently pressure the quarterback.

Draft Projection: Top 15 Pick
-----------------------------------------------------

If we draft a DE in the first round, I REALLY want this kid. He's a bit undersized as a DE (read: perfect for our defense). His forte is the pass rush but he's smart enough to diagnose run and do a good enough job being disciplined. You don't fall into the top-three in the nation for TFL's without being able to disrupt running plays.

I pray he falls to us, but every projection I've read so far has him being taken before 18 (mostly at 15 by the Texans).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Halas85
Assistant Coach

The guy looks like a stud ... a young Dwight Freeny maybe? I like how he makes the plays he's supposed to make and has OTs playing on their heals. Throw in the fact that he's shown continued success in college, seems to have taken full advantage of opportunities given to him and plays like he really enjoys the game of football, and I can definitely see some NFL success in his future. Hopefully his size, his perceived weaknesses against the run and teams' inability to see him as a definite DE or OLB (in the 3-4) will allow him to slide down to 18 in the draft. It'd be nice to have a guy like this fall to us with DE such a priority this offseason.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
Halas85
Assistant Coach

I pray he falls to us, but every projection I've read so far has him being taken before 18 (mostly at 15 by the Texans).
He may not have to slide that far down. If Angelo identifies a player he really wants early in this draft, I could actually see him try to move up the board to get him this year. It certainly isn't his M.O., but I truly believe this will be a make-or-break offseason for both he and Lovie. The Bears' success next season is going to be measured mostly, I believe, through the performance of the defense. (Wins, of course, will have to fall into place along with this.) Throw in the fact that Angelo is in desperate need of a day-one home run pick following some big-time flops throughout the last few years, and we may see Angelo wheeling and dealing on Day 1 of the draft.

Of course, a lot will happen between now and then. Between the Combine and Free Agency, the Bears' needs on draft day could change drastically from what we anticipate today.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm hoping that Michael Johnson puts on a clinic at the Combine and some team falls in love with him. Then we could hope for the same with Aaron Maybin to get snatched up by some over-zealous 3-4 defense.

Anything can happen, really.
wab
Mod

Tyson Jackson is another name to keep in the back of your head...he's a little bigger than our normal DE's...he is about 6-5 and goes anywhere from 275-290. Some scouts have him pigeon-holed as a 3-4 end if he stays in the 290 range, but he's incredibly athletic off the edge, has a huge wingspan, and can move inside on passing downs. He reminds me of Justin Tuck.

He's not as flashy at Brown, Maybin, and Orakpo...but he's a better all-around player than Michael Johnson (who I am starting to sour on, but am resigned to the fact that we could in all likelihood pick him).
G08
Hall of Famer

I've thought Jackson was more of a run-supporter than pass-rusher.
Pagan
MVP

I was having a hard time seeing a DE as our first pick- but this guy looks like a probowler in the making. He has quick change of direction moves like a RB and that spin move looks nice.
I'd like to have seen how he faired more against the run more- he reminds me very much of a more polished and smarter M. Anderson. We DO need to find a replacement for O-Gun and this guy looks like he would be an upgrade- especially with the Bears new D-Line coach being around to turn this kid into a complete beast.

If he's there I wont be mad to see the Bears take him.

But we HAVE to land a good FA WR this year!

pagan
G08
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:I was having a hard time seeing a DE as our first pick- but this guy looks like a probowler in the making. He has quick change of direction moves like a RB and that spin move looks nice.
I'd like to have seen how he faired more against the run more- he reminds me very much of a more polished and smarter M. Anderson. We DO need to find a replacement for O-Gun and this guy looks like he would be an upgrade- especially with the Bears new D-Line coach being around to turn this kid into a complete beast.

If he's there I wont be mad to see the Bears take him.

But we HAVE to land a good FA WR this year!

pagan
He had like 20-something tackles for losses, so you can bet he disrupted running plays as well. I don't think he'll be there at 18, but I will be jumping for fucking joy if he is