McClure: Bears would be wise to pass on weak safety class

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears would be wise to pass on weak safety class

By Vaughn McClure

Last season, general manager Jerry Angelo called the group of safety prospects "anemic" as the Bears prepared for the draft. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock would echo that sentiment for this year’s class.

"It’s a similar group,’’ he said. "There aren’t any Top-10 picks. Basically what you’re looking at is late first round as a possibility, but most of these kids will fit in the second and third rounds.’’

Missouri’s William Moore (6-0, 228) is the most talented but Mayock is intrigued by Alabama’s Rashad Johnson (6-0, 187), Western Michigan’s Louis Delmas (5-11, 196), and Clemson’s Michael Hamlim (6-2, 207). All participated in the Senior Bowl.

"The biggest disappointment for me was William Moore,’’ Mayock said. "He had a Top-20 grade from almost every NFL team heading into his senior season. He's a big, physical tough guy who has first-round value. But you could probably get him in the second round this year. He’s going to be a boom or bust.’’

Mayock rates Johnson and Delmas as solid, second-round picks. They both play free safety, and the Bears need a replacement for departing veteran Mike Brown. Danieal Manning is likely to remain at nickel back as he continues to be the primary kick returner. And Craig Steltz, a fourth-round pick last season, is viewed more as a special-teams contributor than a starting safety.

"Delmas and Johnson are tough, smart kids," Mayock said. "I like them a lot. Hamlin plays free safety, too. Patrick Chung from Oregon also had a good week at the Senior Bowl, but he’s more of a strong safety."

The Bears selected safeties Brown (2000) and Manning (’06) in the second round. Maybe they are on track to do the same this year.
gaba
Head Coach

Are there any decent safeties available via free-agency and/or trade?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

gaba wrote:Are there any decent safeties available via free-agency and/or trade?
Free agency...not so much. Yerimiah Bell, Darren Sharper, OJ Atogwe and Atari Bigby.

Otherwise guys like Jason Allen in Miami and Michael Huff in Oakland may be released...
Halas85
Assistant Coach

This only reaffirms why the Bears need to sign Mike Brown on the cheap before free agency begins, then concentrate on bolstering the defensive line this offseason. A defensive line that can get to the quarterback would make a DB corps made up of CBs Tillman and Vasher, SS Brown, FS Graham and Nickleback Daniel Manning look pretty damn good. Oh, and a new pass coverage scheme that stresses aggressive play at the LOS would be a nice enhancement, too.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
gaba
Head Coach

Ugh... well I guess I'm coming around on that DE pick. I'm just afraid of Jerry's ability to draft high picks. Any free agent DEs? How about a replacement for Tommie Harris? It'd sure be nice to not only have a great DT, but a great DT that's great more than 1/10th of the time. (That's being generous.) You know what? F*&k it... let's switch to a 6-3-2 scheme. Yeah, there'd be absolutely no pass coverage... so how is that different from last year?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Chifaninca
Journeyman

Gaba,

I always thought you were out there..Now I understand you are truly an innovator.

I like it. The 6-3-2 Defense.......and you could mix in the Cover One (guy) defense. It would actually be an improvement. However, without picture of lovie ........i don't see it happening.
gaba
Head Coach

You know... I was joking about the 6-3-2, but it might not always be such a bad idea. I hate to see coaches put guys in a scheme they're obviously not suited for. Especially at the lower levels... why put a 150lb. kid at DE when you can just play a 3 man front and make him a linebacker? Hell, if this A-11/Wildcat trend continues, not only could the three-man front become more commonplace, but we could even see a few two-man fronts on occasion.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

Not to get back on subject or anything, but Emanuel Cook might not be a bad pickup in the latter rounds.