Crabtree will miss 10 weeks with stress fracture

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Michael Crabtree has a stress fracture in his left foot that will sideline him for 10 weeks, NFL.com and ESPN report. He will need surgery to insert a screw, the site says. (Update: Bears coach Lovie Smith says the injury shouldn't hurt Crabtree's draft value.)

The injury was revealed in medical testing at the NFL combine this week, according to NFL.com. Crabtree had a right ankle injury suffered last season, but he said on Friday he was 90-95% recovered and expected to be ready to run at his pro day in late March.

He did not say anything about a stress fracture in his left foot on Friday. Crabtree is not scheduled to meet reporters today.

The receiver's availability for the pro day is in jeopardy now.

He is one of the premier receiving prospects in the draft class, and said Friday he wants to be the first player selected in April.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/200 ... btree.html
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Bears' Smith: New foot injury won't limit Crabtree's value

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY
INDIANAPOLIS — Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith said the draft stock of receiver Michael Crabtree should not fall due to a foot injury uncovered during the NFL combine.
"He's not going to play anytime soon as I see it," Smith said. "And it's not a career-ending injury or anything like that.

"He's a good football player and he's got plenty of time to get well. I don't think it'll hurt him at all."

NFL.com and ESPN first reported Saturday that Crabtree has a stress fracture in his left foot that will require a surgically inserted screw. He could miss about 10 weeks, or all of the evaluation season leading up to the April 25 NFL draft.

"When I heard about it, I was saddened" Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo said. "I'm sorry for him, just because he's a competitor."

But Orakpo said he doesn't think there will be long-term effects for Crabtree. "That's something he can heal from and get back," Orakpo said.

WRs ARE BACK: Likely to crack first round again
CARDS' REBUKE: Tell Boldin to wait his turn

The stress fracture is separate from the ankle injury that hampered Crabtree in his final season at Texas Tech. The receiver said Friday that ailment was 90-95% healed and that he expected he'd be fully recovered for his pro day workout in late March.

Crabtree did not reveal the stress fracture on Friday. His pro day workout is now in jeopardy, and he may not be able to showcase his skills for scouts prior to the draft.

A e-mail seeking details on the foot injury to Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, was not returned.

Crabtree has been considered one of the elite players in the draft class. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said Crabtree is the best receiver this year and projected he would be a top-10 pick. Crabtree, who caught 231 passes and 41 touchdowns in two seasons at Texas Tech, said Friday he wants to be the first player selected in the draft.

Bills vice president of college scouting Tom Modrak cautioned that Crabtree's limited experience in college and inability to work out would raise questions among teams poised to make such a large investment in him.

"The good thing, if it's a good thing, is it's very early in the process," Modrak said. "Those that really get guys is when it's right before the draft and you don't have a chance to examine it close enough or do your process on it. His is now where if people needed additional medical information, you have time to get it. You have time to satisfy yourself."

Smith said that even without seeing him run and catch passes in person, teams will still value Crabtree.

"He has a history and it's pretty good," the Bears coach said. "I think he'll be OK."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... jury_N.htm
gaba
Head Coach

Yeah... let's blow another high pick on an injured player. We can wait two or three years before we get a decent receiver.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

You wouldn't draft him at #18? I would...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

IF he SOMEHOW made it to 18 I wouldn't waste a second turning the card in on him.
gaba
Head Coach

G08 wrote:You wouldn't draft him at #18? I would...
I honestly don't know enough about him. I'm just really down on or drafting ability. Williams was hurt and they knew it. Olsen was a great pick that they're not using. Ced... well Ced is Ced. The best first round I can remember was '06.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:
Danieal Manning??
gaba
Head Coach

imprint3454 wrote: Danieal Manning??
I was referring to the fact that we drafted NO ONE, and therefor could not be disappointed in another first round bust. I think that should be Jerry's strategy every year. Trade the 1st rounder for a quality player instead of another injured disappointment or a player we're not gonna try to use.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!