Rd 3 - #82 - Will Sutton, DT - Arizona State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He only started 12 games in 3 years...all last season. He's basically the defensive line version of Kyle Long.
I can't really argue with Phil. I always say the least important thing when shouting a player is what they accomplished in college. What is important is what you think your coaches can do with the players skill set at the NFL level. That worked out with the Bears and Long and I'm not going to second guess Phil on this one either.
G08
Hall of Famer

Phil stated how when teams tried to run up the gut with Ferguson in the game they couldn't do it. I like him as a run stuffing NT. I'd like to see him get up to 325 lbs if he can pack another 10 on in muscle.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Iffybiz
Player of the Month

I bought one of those draft guide magazines and it was pretty bad but it did show who everyone picked last year and how they did. It was kind of shocking to me just how little last years class did. The Bears actually had one of the better drafts with two starters.
Ny point in this is, if you're only going to get one or two starters at most per draft,why try to hit singles? If Ego reaches potential he's at minimum a starter and possibly much more.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He only started 12 games in 3 years...all last season. He's basically the defensive line version of Kyle Long.
did you guys watch emery's interview with joniak and thayer on the bear's site?

apparently the first time phil saw kyle long was when he was down in arizona to see will sutton 2 years ago. apparently his scouts told him to check out this kyle long kid while he's there, and then sutton goes down with an ankle after his first play and emery spends the rest of the game watching kyle.

so as emery put it, sutton's basically responsible for phil drafting kyle.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Also in that interview, Thayer talks about how he didn't see any mock drafts with Fuller going to the Bears. Umm that's just for TV right? He's not that incompetent...?
xyt in the discord chats
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Also in that interview, Thayer talks about how he didn't see any mock drafts with Fuller going to the Bears. Umm that's just for TV right? He's not that incompetent...?
Clearly wasn't reading the mocks here ;)

Actually I know Mel had us taking Fuller as well.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, Sutton in the 3rd to team with Ferguson from round 2 means I am pleased that the defensive line rotation has been effectively upgraded

I think these 2 will do for the defensive line what Long and Mills did for the offensive line

thank you Phil :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Farewell to Will
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Middleguard
MVP

Will was cut on the 11th. Did it take him an entire week to pack his bags?

Or did you find it amusing to resurrect some of the blather spouted here at a time when you were still finishing off one of your previous victims?

I found it amusing.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He's in Minnesota.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Kid of interesting thread read. This was the in Phil we trust era.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:Kid of interesting thread read. This was the in Phil we trust era.
Yeah I was really....incorrect about this one.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Kid of interesting thread read. This was the in Phil we trust era.
I think many of us went through this.

I remember reacting to Emery's first draft with "wow, he actually sees the same holes in the team I see, even if I wouldn't have drafted those players where he drafted them." After years of watching Jerry Angelo do exactly NOT that, it wasn't hard to get behind Emery for a while.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:

I remember reacting to Emery's first draft with "wow, he actually sees the same holes in the team I see, even if I wouldn't have drafted those players where he drafted them." After years of watching Jerry Angelo do exactly NOT that, it wasn't hard to get behind Emery for a while.
i think too that emery's press conferences had alot to do with it. every time i heard him speak i was like "fuck yeah, this is my guy" and i think after years of smarmy-ass angelo press conferences i was just straight up enchanted.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Eh... Kind of. In a lot of aspects though your not. Sutton fit the scheme at that time. The next year the scheme changed, and he was a square peg. For Sutton the best situation would have been Lovies defense, and for Sutton to drop some weight. We will never see that now.

A middle 3rd round pick to contribute for 3 years in a bad fit, isn't really a bad pick.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
Eh... Kind of. In a lot of aspects though your not. Sutton fit the scheme at that time. The next year the scheme changed, and he was a square peg. For Sutton the best situation would have been Lovies defense, and for Sutton to drop some weight. We will never see that now.

A middle 3rd round pick to contribute for 3 years in a bad fit, isn't really a bad pick.
Well I did predict DROY for him. Soooo.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well you done fucked up and should be disgraced.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:

i think too that emery's press conferences had alot to do with it. every time i heard him speak i was like "fuck yeah, this is my guy" and i think after years of smarmy-ass angelo press conferences i was just straight up enchanted.
I think it was all of the false promises of years gone by that had us so easily mesmerized by Emery ... he talked a good game and took actions we thought were the correct ones to make

and then things just kind of imploded ... maybe in a different way than in years past, but ending with the same miserable result
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hematite
Player of the Month

Boris13c wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:

I think it was all of the false promises of years gone by that had us so easily mesmerized by Emery ... he talked a good game and took actions we thought were the correct ones to make

and then things just kind of imploded ... maybe in a different way than in years past, but ending with the same miserable result
Yep...Emery and his "Championships, not one, but many" talk did us all in!!