So what now (in light of Cutler, Pace, Shaffer)?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

I'm thinking WR, DE, Safety and Linebacker are the biggest priorities... at this point.

It crossed my mind that while JA is in "major change" mode, he actually might not be finished. While changes are going on it seems to make it MORE likely that we'll see even more.... like Urlacher, Wale, Vasher (and picks?) to Az for Boldin in a "sign & trade"? What do you guys think?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Chifaninca
Journeyman

i don't think we have enough for a major move like that.

I can definitely see a move (maybe Vasher) for a few picks to shore up things. Extra 4 and 5 for Jerry is what he likes.

I think you go WR twice - unless you get Holt as FA. Someoline like Britt or Robiske in round 2, then someone like Patrick Turner or the WR from Clemson in the 5th.

I defnitely see an OL guy and FS in the in 3rd/4th/5th range.

A QB project in the 7th
Fumblebuck
MVP

You have got to think WR IMO.

We need a burner someone who can run the medium/long patterns. We have lots of underneithe/outlet guys, Olsen, Clark, Bennett, Davis even Forte, but we have only Hester that defenses respect deep.

Boy, it would have been nice to have BB still playing for the Bears....Cutler and him would kill it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

upon further review, and after the recent acquisitions, it appears the Bears will be addressing their defensive needs in the draft

defensive secondary should be their priority, and Sean Smith of Utah should be there for them in the second round, and is my pick

6' 4", 210 lbs, 4.4 time in the forty ... can play cornerback or safety

as for the receiver issue, it looks like another ex-Ram is on his way to town to become a current Bear ... if Torry Holt does sign, then there are no more needs on offense in the draft
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

I agree WR is the biggest priority, but it doesn't need to be in the draft. As a matter of fact, it might be better NOT to address it in the draft. Getting a proved vet who can come in & contribute immediately would be better, with the Bears already having two young, inexperienced guys (Hester, Bennett) needing a huge share of PT.

On the "type" of WR the Bears need ... I know a lot of people want a "big body" WR for the Bears - but I really think Olsen could be that guy. I'll say again that Olsen is "hardly" a classic TE. I think he'd be most valuable if used as a hybrid, and running mostly WR routes and deep seams - a versatile machine ala Dallas Clark or Witten. IMO the only thing standing in the way of this happening now is Ron Turner's creativity.

Also - I think with all this talk about needing WRS, we're all underestimating what is going to happen to Hester's production with a QB who can hit him in stride... could be... eye-opening.
gaba
Head Coach

I think you're right eric, but it seems like too much to hope for at this point. What are the chances Jerry's gonna sign a franchise quarterback and a Hall of Fame tackle, then go out and get us a big-name receiver in the same month? I just don't know that Santa's bag is big enough.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

I think we go defense in Rd2...safety or DT....just a hunch. WR in rd3, OL in the 4th, more defense and another ol to round out the draft.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I agree WAB, I've been thinking D all along actually, it's just very Angelo to set it up as O like this and then go D. Also he really does seem to alternate and that would make this a D year.

I think WR is deep enough for them to still get a "first round" guy in the second but I don't know if we are high enough to land them at this point. And faced with an overinflated WR (due to the hype of the class) vs. a starting safety (which is almost always available in the second/third) I will always say go with the guy whose gonna see the field more.

I do think we are setting up for a decent run in two years though, this year might be a little messy while it all starts to gel. With that in mind it wouldn't be too hard to see them picking the WR with the most potential and then not expecting him to start this year (ala Bennett). We'll see soon enough.
gaba
Head Coach

Bearing this all in mind...

#1... We've shored up the offense pretty nicely, but probably won't be able to find a WR where we're picking.
#2... The defense, despite recent performance, is pretty talented. We could use a great safety but I just don't know that there's one that can step in immediately and fix our problems. Anyone we get will be just another promising young safety to add to the current backlog.

SOOOOOooooo.... I propose a new direction for this year's draft. ALL CHEERLEADERS!
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
IE
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Bearing this all in mind...

#1... We've shored up the offense pretty nicely, but probably won't be able to find a WR where we're picking.
#2... The defense, despite recent performance, is pretty talented. We could use a great safety but I just don't know that there's one that can step in immediately and fix our problems. Anyone we get will be just another promising young safety to add to the current backlog.

SOOOOOooooo.... I propose a new direction for this year's draft. ALL CHEERLEADERS!
I'd really rather see an older/vet WR come in for the next year or two regardless of whether JA finds a good one in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd.

I do agree that the D is more talented than what they were showing under Babich. I'm cautiously hoping that they'll be better under Lovie & Marinelli.

For both the DC and the OC, there is a difference between "knowledge of the game" and "in-game play-calling and decision making skill". The Bears have been almost completely predictable on offense since Turner came on, and predictably bad on D since Babich replaced Chico. I hate when I can easily predict what Turner is going to call next, or who is going to blitz or fake blitz. On both sides of the ball, we need our coordinators to be smarter about the way they plan & call games against the competition. I want the other team to be just as surprised as I am. I want the other team to think, "wow - we didn't see THAT play call/formation/defense coming...."
gaba
Head Coach

Wow eric, I uh... I wasn't really prepared to discuss this one. Points #1 and #2 were really just lame excuses to justify my new draft strategy.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

If I had to guess, I would say we look at Louis Delmas or Rashad Johnson at safety in round 2. If they are gone, it would probably move to a guy like Sen'Derrick Marks at DT or maybe Paul Kruger or Lawrence Sidbury at DE. There is going to be a lot of value at safety in round 2. Delmas and Sean Smith are probably worthy of a late 1st, but a guy like Rashad Johnson should be sitting there when we pick.

Unless some miracle happens and Hakeem Nicks or DHB fall to round 2, there is no reason we shouldn't go defense. I like Mo Massaqoui as a 2nd round WR, but I like Rashad Johnson better.
ghost of halas
Practice Squad

I really dislike the idea of drafting DE. In fact...I hate it. We've got some guys ready to perform this year, and I'm sure that Jerry is betting on it as well. *cough* Dan *cough* Bazuin

WR and Safety are priorities. Unless we somehow get Holt. Then its safety, safety, safety.

This is how I hope the next few weeks plays out:

1. Holt signs with Chicago
2. William Moore, S, Missouri with our second round pick
3. Xavier Fulton, OL, Illinois with our third round pick
4. Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois with our fourth round pick
wab
Mod

William Moore, S, Missouri with our second round pick
how many strong safties do we need? all due respect, Bullocks is the only true FS on the roster. Behind him we have a converted corner in Bowman and a guy nobody knows what to do with in Manning.
gaba
Head Coach

wab wrote:
how many strong safties do we need? all due respect, Bullocks is the only true FS on the roster. Behind him we have a converted corner in Bowman and a guy nobody knows what to do with in Manning.
One that can actually get the job done would be nice.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

We haven't seen enough of Payne or Steltz to know one way or the other. FS is the trouble spot.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Bullocks will be serviceable and hopefully Steltz will start at the strong. I'm cautiously optimistic about Bowman, maybe in a year or so he can be the guy at free, but who knows.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"