Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Thread

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

homersheineken
Journeyman

50 SOG and we lose. Nothing to change except getting the puck in the net.
UOK
Site Admin

homersheineken wrote:50 SOG and we lose. Nothing to change except getting the puck in the net.
The 50 SOG number is misleading. Flames played good defense and most of the SOGs were ineffectual. Hiller played a great game.

Hawks woes were on the power play. They were doing alright cycling the puck, but never got more than a couple clean looks with a man advantage. Carcillo missed an open net and had another quality opportunity to score that he messed up on. Hawks had a 2-on-1 that didn't work out, too.
homersheineken
Journeyman

UOK wrote:
homersheineken wrote:50 SOG and we lose. Nothing to change except getting the puck in the net.
The 50 SOG number is misleading. Flames played good defense and most of the SOGs were ineffectual. Hiller played a great game.

Hawks woes were on the power play. They were doing alright cycling the puck, but never got more than a couple clean looks with a man advantage. Carcillo missed an open net and had another quality opportunity to score that he messed up on. Hawks had a 2-on-1 that didn't work out, too.
No it wasn't misleading. I counted at least 5 missed gimme shots (including 2 by Carcillo) that were missed, plus one off the post (Flames had one too on the breakaway). Their defense was not that good , we were in control of the entire game. Their first goal was off a hawk deflection.

But whatever, it's just 1 of 82.
UOK
Site Admin

homersheineken wrote:
UOK wrote: The 50 SOG number is misleading. Flames played good defense and most of the SOGs were ineffectual. Hiller played a great game.

No it wasn't misleading. I counted at least 5 missed gimme shots (including 2 by Carcillo) that were missed, plus one off the post (Flames had one too on the breakaway). Their defense was not that good , we were in control of the entire game. Their first goal was off a hawk deflection.

I'll be sure to consult you on hockey going forward since I'm clearly a moron.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Another example of how recent sustained success spoils fans. I have heard people bitching after the first game because the didn't dominate. Damn, it is an 82 game season, let the fellas get warmed up some. There are going to be nights they run into hot goalies, scores who are on fire and nights where the Hawks just don't have it, shit happens. Fans just need to sit back and take Aaron Rodgers advice, R-E-L-A-X.
UOK
Site Admin

Of course. Season's long, long, long. Hawks will need a month or two to gel, but once they find a couple lines that spark, Q won't have to over-meddle for a bit and they can get on a roll.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think this is a very dangerous team. Not too worried about what they do early in season. UOK, you are right, in two months this team hits its stride and we will see how the chips fall. Anxious to see the Blues game coming up to see How Hawks respond to some suspected thuggery that will probably go down. Keith will need to keep his head on a swivel.
homersheineken
Journeyman

UOK wrote:
homersheineken wrote: No it wasn't misleading. I counted at least 5 missed gimme shots (including 2 by Carcillo) that were missed, plus one off the post (Flames had one too on the breakaway). Their defense was not that good , we were in control of the entire game. Their first goal was off a hawk deflection.

I'll be sure to consult you on hockey going forward since I'm clearly a moron.
If you want to get pissy and consider yourself a moron, go right ahead ... but I think most would rather stick to hockey talk.
UOK
Site Admin

Alrighty, guy.

3-0 after 1. Yes please.

Sitting Morin for a gimpy Versteeg is paying dividends, also. This was sarcasm.
Stay_Cool
MVP

UOK wrote:Alrighty, guy.

3-0 after 1. Yes please.

Sitting Morin for a gimpy Versteeg is paying dividends, also. This was sarcasm.
FIRE CRAWFORD
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Stay_Cool
MVP

Sorry UOK, I just missed our banter from last season =(
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice to see Ranta kick some ass. Kaner bird dogging by the net on the PP. Helluva game.
UOK
Site Admin

Raanta pitching a shutout was great. That's the kind of security blanket that will be invaluable throughout the season, despite people, myself included, sometimes shitting on Crawford for getting leaky at times. It's just how being a professional goalie goes.

I'm interested to see how Darling does if he gets a start over the weekend.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am on of the biggest critics of Crawford and "leaky" is a good word. He just has some mental stretches where he comes across as weak. I don't like that. He has been kicking ass this year. It is early, but he looks really good.

UOK Champaign was crawling with a lot of bball celebs yesterday (funeral for Wayne McClain). Did you see any heavy hitters?
UOK
Site Admin

I was at work all day yesterday, what was going on?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wayne McClain, ex asst bball coach for Self and Weber died last week. His funeral was yesterday and there were a number of college coaches and NBA players in town for the funeral.

He coached Peoria Manual to 4 consecutive Class 2 A bball championships. He is basically given credit for establishing a pipeline from Peoria to U of I for bball. The past year he coached Champaign Central. Very influential man in Peoria.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pekka Rinne kicked some ass last night. That dude is definitely a stud. That 3rd period rush by the Hawks, last 3 minutes, they fire off 17 shots!! Rinne had an answer for everyone. Hawks just ran into a hot goalie last night.
wab
Mod

I don't wander in here too often, and while I follow the Hawks, it's not religiously. I got into hockey a little bit during their Stanley Cup season a few years back. So that was fun.

I live about two miles from where the Stars practice, and i recently found out my neighbor works for the Stars front office, and he's been on me about going to see a few games. So, I may check em out. But admittedly I know nothing about them.
UOK
Site Admin

Stars are a fun little team. They've got a nice mix of talent and nice new uniforms. Go to a few games!

And yeah, Rinne was Christ last night. Combined with an insanely puck-reckless Hawks squad and it was rough. Despite that they still took the game all the way to the final seconds.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Tha last 3 minutes was fun. Controlling the puck the entire damn time only to have Rinne be in that fucking zone.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It looked like quite a few Hawk fans at that stadium. Seems that way no matter where they play.
Stay_Cool
MVP

Oh god, it's happening... I miss Crawford
UOK
Site Admin

The whole team looks like they're already exhausted, and Q's doing the electric boogaloo with his lines.

I really think there needs to be one or two major trades this season to shake up this roster. Knowing the Blackhawks there will be none, barring an injury riddled catastrophic season.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Blues are really struggling and had built this game to almost 'superbowl' proportions. You guys just walked into a perfect storm.

Just like last year...Blues had the Hawks number early in the season when the games meant more to them.....once the games were important to the Hawks, they dominated us.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

you know, no complaints here. Hawks started out pretty strong, then the Blues just amped it up. Like DD said, this early season contest meant more to the Blues. It had some playoff atmosphere and the Hawks didn't respond in kind. Still not worried. That last 3 minutes Hawks controlled puck and Elliott just did the job.
UOK
Site Admin

Darling's looking awesome in his first start. He's playing well AND his pads look fucking great.
UOK
Site Admin

The Blackhawks are having the same offensive problems as the Bears.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

F&CK!!! Their offense if very offensive. They can't get the damn puck in the net and they have Price and the Canadiens coming up.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:Blues are really struggling
they now have a goaltender to assist

Martin Brodeur to Blues
After 21 magical seasons with the New Jersey Devils, future Hall of Fame goaltender Martin Brodeur will spend the twilight of his career elsewhere after signing a one-year deal with the St. Louis Blues.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin