View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
 Post subject: The Useless Hobby Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm 
Rookie

Reputation point: -4
Any of you dudes have a ridiculous hobby that just drains your bank account? Like you know you're basically just placing cash directly into the trash as you're doing it. The more embarrassing, the better.

I have an unhealthy fascination with zippo lighters. I do not nor have I ever been a smoker. There is absolutely nothing I need a lighter for. Yet I keep buying these incredibly expensive pieces of shit. And there are literally thousands of different kinds, so it's a never ending battle in futility. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Reputation point: 137
I own one Zippo and love it. It's a strangely satisfying thing to mess about with. I bring it camping a few times a year, but that's about it. Cool thing to collect, though.

My thing is mechanical keyboards. I've probably dropped $5-600+ on mechs the last few years, sold most of them. I'm down to owning only 4, 2 of which are in a closet and likely won't be used again. It's a very dumb hobby, but I dig it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 am 
Hall of Famer

Reputation point: 104
YOGABBA wrote:
Any of you dudes have a ridiculous hobby that just drains your bank account? Like you know you're basically just placing cash directly into the trash as you're doing it. The more embarrassing, the better.

the immediate one that comes to mind is being a Bears fan

* I spend 3 hours every Sunday (or whenever else they are playing) to watch and hope
* I buy team and player oriented merchandise
* I buy tickets to games on occasion
* my return on this investment of time and $$$ can be summed up by the Rolling Stones - "Can't get no satisfaction ....", which would certainly indicate I have been throwing my money straight into the trash

and since 1987, being a Bears fan does carry embarrassment and / or shame along with it

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm 
MVP

Reputation point: 26
UOK wrote:
I own one Zippo and love it. It's a strangely satisfying thing to mess about with. I bring it camping a few times a year, but that's about it. Cool thing to collect, though.

My thing is mechanical keyboards. I've probably dropped $5-600+ on mechs the last few years, sold most of them. I'm down to owning only 4, 2 of which are in a closet and likely won't be used again. It's a very dumb hobby, but I dig it.

I do like a mechanical keyboard but baulk at the prices when I've seen piles of model Ms binned in my time :( Maybe I'll splash out on a Das Keyboard when I own a house and get a desktop again.

For someone who isn't genuinely good at skiing I probably shouldn't own three pairs and hanker for more. I've already got two pairs of Whitedots to go with my old battleship, heavy metal Heads but I really want these Whitedot Preacher.

I do like nice things, and reading about them. My minirig speakers (amazing portable speakers) and the debuyer pans I'm seasoning. Pretty much a total convert to buy once, buy quality.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 pm 
Head Coach

Reputation point: 31
Boris13c wrote:
YOGABBA wrote:

the immediate one that comes to mind is being a Bears fan

* I spend 3 hours every Sunday (or whenever else they are playing) to watch and hope
* I buy team and player oriented merchandise
* I buy tickets to games on occasion
* my return on this investment of time and $$$ can be summed up by the Rolling Stones - "Can't get no satisfaction ....", which would certainly indicate I have been throwing my money straight into the trash

and since 1987, being a Bears fan does carry embarrassment and / or shame along with it

:clap: Thank Boris, never even thought about it, but so true.

I have started pittling around in my garage make 3'x5' American flags of pallets and old fence. They are rustic looking, not red, white and blue. They have an aged look. I also make wine bottle holders and other shit, but am not real pushy about selling the shit. Now my garage is getting full and I have to make room to park the vehicle. :frustrated: