Car Parts Brake Rotors

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Curious if anyone here works on their vehicle. I'm looking for a good long term rotor for my Hyundai Tiburon. Seems like what I get from brake places don't last long
wab
Mod

Ceramic.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I do almost all of my car work myself. I generally go the cheapest options for stuff like that. Granted both my vehicles are 200k in miles. My bike while old I go with the average priced options.

Most of the time unless there is a pulse in the pedal or extreme wear you don't have to change rotors.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

yeah unless you are like I was at 16-19 and simply wore the pads down until you had metal on metal, you shouldn't have to replace rotors very often. If the face of the rotor is still smooth, you're fine and don't need to replace at all.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am sure mechanics try to sell you new ones. However breaks are designed to press evenly and keep the rotor balanced and smooth. You probably go through 3 pads to one rotor.

Just like oil is rated to go over 5k.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Thanks for the info everyone. My car is shaking when breaking and everything I've read is pointing me towards rotors.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yup. Warped.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. My car is shaking when breaking and everything I've read is pointing me towards rotors.
Actually, it might be the sliders on the calipers need a bit of sanding/grinding. if a pad can't move smoothly, that will make the brakes surge and eventually lead to bad rotors...along with pinched brake lines...same thing as bad sliders.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. My car is shaking when breaking and everything I've read is pointing me towards rotors.
Actually, it might be the sliders on the calipers need a bit of sanding/grinding. if a pad can't move smoothly, that will make the brakes surge and eventually lead to bad rotors...along with pinched brake lines...same thing as bad sliders.
It could. I have had that, but it did not create a constant shake when breaking. However it could be the cause of rotor warping as you mentioned.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Probably should check your tie rod ends as well as a lot of times warped rotors end up being the death of the tie rod ends.

Unless you like running up to stop signs and stop lights at higher speeds, and then slamming on the brakes, the mid priced ones should be ok.

Some of the cheapest options out there I have seen warped right out of the box.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I went with pep boys mid grade at 60 a piece. When they get in I'll check the other things listed. Thanks again everyone